GARRETT PRO POINTERS DISAPPOINTING- ANYONE RECOMMEND ANOTHER BRAND?

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a followup thread about the problems Ive been having w/ my pro pointers (pwr switch wont stay on). Now the power switch is sinking into the mechanism. Im assuming since this has happend on BOTH my pointers, in 6 months I'll have to send another one in for repair. Ridiculous. Any other brands recommended?.

Upvote 0

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had it with them. I'm switching to the X-Pointer. 😡

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I still have the Garrett Pro pointer i got when they first come out .. And have not had one problem with it...But i do not hunt any salt water area's ...I only hunt in land ..But also i keep my equipment cleaned up very good .. All my detectors with all there use still look like new... And i got some that are over 14 years old ..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a followup thread about the problems Ive been having w/ my pro pointers (pwr switch wont stay on). Now the power switch is sinking into the mechanism. Im assuming since this has happend on BOTH my pointers, in 6 months I'll have to send another one in for repair. Ridiculous. Any other brands recommended?.
If you can stand the raise, try a Uniprobe.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going on 4 1/2 years. Never cleaned it, used it as a hammer, thrown it at a tree(couple times), dropped it in a lake, lost it for 4 days(rain storm during 2 of those days), dropped it from my truck bed various times, has no paint left on it, and it is now starting to act a little freaky on me. I think I'll go out and get another one.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have the Garrett Pro pointer i got when they first come out .. And have not had one problem with it...But i do not hunt any salt water area's ...I only hunt in land ..But also i keep my equipment cleaned up very good .. All my detectors with all there use still look like new... And i got some that are over 14 years old ..
Not me....I don't abuse my detectors but I work them hard.....and they look it! The only thing I would like to look pretty is the targets I've recovered!:laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not me....I don't abuse my detectors but I work them hard.....and they look it! The only thing I would like to look pretty is the targets I've recovered!:laughing7:
I work mine hard also but i also work hard to keep them looking good .. I do not like beat up looking equipment . My riding lawn mower i use ever week in the summer is about 15 years old and looks like new..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted till dark. Walked off Kennesaw mountain. Thought I was about a 1/4 mile away from truck. Was like 1.5 miles. Pitch black could not see my hand in front of my nose. Used the light on the pin pointer to walk out. Mine is covered in shoe goo to water hunt now. Make them make it right. When they work they are golden!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunted till dark. Walked off Kennesaw mountain. Thought I was about a 1/4 mile away from truck. Was like 1.5 miles. Pitch black could not see my hand in front of my nose. Used the light on the pin pointer to walk out. Mine is covered in shoe goo to water hunt now. Make them make it right. When they work they are golden!
I know what you mean about Pitch black woods i have been there a few times and do not like it ... The last time that happened to me was a few years back ... I was not only in the woods in the black of night but i was also in a snow storm that night.... But as you can see i made it out and here i am ..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a different world when you can not even tell if your eyes are open. Pitch black. Hopefully OP will get his fixed seems they have some kinda warranty?

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been running a mackro pointer with ZERO issues. Its been through ALOT even lost it in a hog pin full of mud and pig sh^t for 3 days. I found it washed it up and came back on no problem. That sold me.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010

I still have two which I bought in 2010 when I first started the hobby. One doesn't vibrate now and both lost maybe a quarter inch of range. Other that that, no problems causing me to not take one out.

OP
OP
O

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those changing the topic (the pointer helped me see in the dark..(?!) and those who are posting how theirs havent had any problems- Doesnt help!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
those pointing out that you have had a run of bad luck should help you make a decision.if you ask for opinions you are going to get them around here,you do the sorting.I hope you try another brand and are happy.I have two in my family and am both impressed with their performance and reliability...my luck has been differant,they are 4 years old without a problem.
likely you will narrow it down to the minelab,makro,or whites.all are good,all are worth having for sure.also sunray makes an inline probe for the ace series,I have one on my gtax 1250 for years and it works well...I prefer an independant unit tho...just me.

:occasion14:

Last edited:

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Garett Pro Pointer and it works great. I'm in a local treasure club and it seems that most of the members use the Garrett. I will say one of our most prolific members does use a Whites TRX, so perhaps that might be an alternative choice for you. Good luck in whatever direction you head, and as always, happy hunting. :treasurechest:

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had nothing but on/off button problems with the Whites bullseye. Bought a Pro Pointer about 5 years ago and still working good.

Chris R

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had two GARRETT pinpointers, and both of them ended up falsing so bad sometimes they are useless. I never abused either of them. But I sure do like that new carrot. It's a toss up between the carrot and the xpointer for my next one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread