flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not trashing my Ace 350, it's been nothing but good to me, but last night I definitely found it's limitations. I took my daughter metal detecting, and told her I would also hide a prize for her...and if she could find it she could keep it. We were at a section of beach I hadn't hunted before and I dropped a tungsten ring in the hard packed damp sand near a pier and lightly pressed it in with my foot, basically on the surface.

I figured, no problem, I know where it is, and if she doesn't find it, my 350 will find it.

I took a few steps away and started sweeping my detector... I got nothing but false hits in every direction. Ahh crap mineralized sand. I turned the sensitivity down really low, discriminated out the false iron hit, and still, getting falsing all across the board! Coin hits, iron hits, tab hits, it was ridiculous. Nothing was repeatable. I went back to find the ring I had just walked away from and couldn't find it!

I tried using only pinpoint mode and keeping the coil at a distance where I could faintly hear a tone... this should have found it... but nothing. I tried digging the "sort of" repeatable signals and found nothing.
I searched this small area for an hour, dug about 20 holes going nowhere and then got rained out. I went back later and searched for another hour. There was noone else around us so I'm sure it didn't get picked up.

I even skimmed the sand with my handheld pinpointer... grrrrr.

Time for an upgrade. :( Wet mineralized sand without a ground balance option is a nightmare.

If you live near Redington Beach, Fl give me a shout and I'll tell you where to search lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Borrow somebody's Minelab, you'll find it easy with that.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Single freq VLF's detectors WITH ground balance really aren't an option either for wet salty sand or water.
Maybe I am reding between the lines too much but I have read this post in a couple different spots and the part about if just had a machine with ground balance stands out. I don't want you to be disappointed if you buy an ATP or other single freq VLF and it didn't hit this same ring at 4+ inches in wet salt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Single freq VLF's detectors WITH ground balance really aren't an option either for wet salty sand or water.
Maybe I am reding between the lines too much but I have read this post in a couple different spots and the part about if just had a machine with ground balance stands out. I don't want you to be disappointed if you buy an ATP or other single freq VLF and it didn't hit this same ring at 4+ inches in wet salt.

Thanks for mentioning that, and I understand what you are saying.

I did actually just buy an AT Pro, but I got it very cheaply and I could not pass it up as an upgrade from my 350.

I don't expect it to find this ring with it though... especially now that the tide has gone in and out 4 or 5 times

Last edited:

streetshark1966

Feb 12, 2015
knox county ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick silver, fisher f5, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jet some body with a Tesoro sand shark, excal or any other salt water detector they will find it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread