Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,
I need you advice and suggestions. I am considering pruchasing a new metal detector. I am a complete newbie having only owned a White's Classic 2.
I will mainly be detecting on the beach both wet and dry sand but, no diving or anything like that. Probably only ever about knee deep or so. But, I also like to occaisionally go to local parks etc. So, is there a machine that can do both? For no more than I go out(only a few times a year) it would be nice to just have one machine. So what do all of you think?

Thanks,

Mike

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike what is your budget? Remember if your knee deep you still need waterproof detector or understand one slip and you have an expensive paper weight..

For a little under $600 you can get a Nokta Fors CoRe... It is not waterproof, but it has a saltwater program and it performs exceptionally well on wet salt beaches and shallow water. It is a really good land detector that has a saltwater program. It has both automatic and manual ground balance..

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello Everyone,
I need you advice and suggestions. I am considering pruchasing a new metal detector. I am a complete newbie having only owned a White's Classic 2.
I will mainly be detecting on the beach both wet and dry sand but, no diving or anything like that. Probably only ever about knee deep or so. But, I also like to occaisionally go to local parks etc. So, is there a machine that can do both? For no more than I go out(only a few times a year) it would be nice to just have one machine. So what do all of you think?

Thanks,

Mike

your budget will help a lot...there are some expensive machines that do it but if I were just going a few times a year and I would probably get a minelab sovereign or fisher cz3d. Each can be found used for like $400-$500 and they are awesome. New the CZ3D is around $800. They are not water proof though.

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another NON Water proof machine would be a Used Whites DFX.. I know you said new but the DFX is still a solid machine and works perfectly on wet or dry and you can go back and forth between them with no issues.. Also they are selling under $500 on the forums.. think that last one went for $350 Loving both of mine and both were used.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Sovereign, Explorer SE Pro, Etrac, CTX, several Fisher CZ's would work in both locations.

OP
OP
M

mike_n_nc

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone. Now, let me change the question a bit. Let's say I did want a simple to use, beach/saltwater machine exclusively and I had a budget of under $1000 new or used. What would you chose?

Mike

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett AT Pro, great for parks, great for dry sand, and not bad for water hunting (it's waterproof to 10 feet).

I picked mine up used, in good shape for well under $400. New they are around $500 or $600 with scoop and digger, bag and pouch...

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone. Now, let me change the question a bit. Let's say I did want a simple to use, beach/saltwater machine exclusively and I had a budget of under $1000 new or used. What would you chose?

Mike

Used: Excalibur, CZ-21
New: Sand Shark , Dual Field, Seahujter MKll

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read an article today on the Whites dual field and think it might be a good choice based on the criteria you have set forth.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Mike

Used fisher CZ21 is what I would get. I would say Excal too but the CZ21 is more simple compared to the excal and you dont appear to be looking for a device that has a steeper learning curve and ability to modify and such but if you are, then I would get Excal (this is really a ford vs chevy thing when comparing these two). But as far as performance they are top notch/the best. If you can find one lightly used (Excal or CZ21) for 900-$1000 I would take it.

If you get new you could get the whites BHID300 for under $1000, which is comparable to the CZ/excal but not really in the same league. Then there are PI machines, which are awesome too (sandshark, Garret SH2, Whites DF) but they require you to dig everything and given that you are in NC I would not get one as my only/first machine.

Additionally, as I recommended earlier, the fisher CZ3D, works on both land and the beach. It works on the beach as well as the CZ21/Excal. Its not waterproof though. The advantage is that it will outperform them in parks and such because its not locked in salt mode as the excal/cz21 are. It can be found new for like $750-800.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A multi-frequency Minelab machine can do it all that you speak of but are not waterproof (other than ctx)....so you can go with one of those....you can get a used explorer or safari for good prices. Or you could go with two machines if you want to hunt the water. A Tesoro Sand Shark is the cheapest machine that is truly a "in the water beach machine".....Be warned: some machines have "beach modes" but they still suck on the beach! If it is not a multi-freq. machine or a PI machine it will have very limited performance in the wet sand and much less the salt water.
I would personally recommend looking at the Minelabs used on some of the forums.....look at the Safari and the various Explorer models....hope this helps.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello mike n nc,

I think DiggerinVA gave some great advice!

Multi frequency Minelab machines work great in the wet sand/beach areas. The Sovereign (recently out of production) has an excellent reputation for depth on the beach! They can be bought used, well under your pricepoint. The Safari still in production, is priced right at a grand new, much cheaper used. The sovereign is a tone only machine, the Safari tone and VID. Both have great discrimination and ID ability. Once again, both NOT waterproof.

If you plan on getting in the water, above ankle/calf depth a Tesoro Sand Shark is a good reasonably priced option in a dedicated water machine. It's pulse induction, so, you pretty much dig all signals. PI machines go deep.

Good Luck in your choice!

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on your criteria, a used Excalibur II might be in your range. It's multi-frequency, waterproof, and can discriminate out those pesky nails and bobby pins and still find gold. Next would be a Fisher CZ21. A PI would also give you good depth, but no discrimination. For an affordable PI, I like the Garrett SeaHunter Mark II. You can get by in the salt with a Garrett AT Pro, but black sand will make it chatter and lose some depth.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales Rental | Treasure Hunting | Metal Detecting Stuff

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on your criteria, a used Excalibur II might be in your range. It's multi-frequency, waterproof, and can discriminate out those pesky nails and bobby pins and still find gold. Next would be a Fisher CZ21. A PI would also give you good depth, but no discrimination. For an affordable PI, I like the Garrett SeaHunter Mark II. You can get by in the salt with a Garrett AT Pro, but black sand will make it chatter and lose some depth.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales Rental | Treasure Hunting | Metal Detecting Stuff
Ditto......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going knee deep you need fully waterproof detector like the excal, dig no iron...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions