Detecting a roof??

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So at a nearby stadium, there is a building underneath the bleachers. It has a flat, tar-and-gravel roof. I've already walked it and picked up what I can see, but many of there were well hidden. I'm wondering if anyone has ever detected on one before, and how difficult if might be.

Upvote 0

Chris R

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't go digging holes in a roof. Might get arrested for property damage.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to think that roof is made of very solid material, if it is strong enough to withstand the weight of many people sitting in the bleachers on top of it. As such, I would further speculate there is some sort of metal in that roof, under the tar and gravel top layer. In short, I doubt it's worth your time as your detector would be going crazy.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd run the sensitivity REALLY low... and then only move aside surface material to find it. I'd think you'd have a lot of false hits too, because of all the roofing nails and cross beams that are probably metal.

But hey, if you can do it, and you find stuff without damaging anything... have fun!

-Jerry

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take you pinpointer on it an see how it works.. constant beeping and your done..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread