Fun with Kids???

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last few weeks, I’ve had some oddball experiences with kids following me in the parks, I figured I’d share… some of them have morals to the stories, some of them are just funny. Working backwards

#1 Please… Go Away!

A couple of days ago, I was hitting a park I regularly detect (lots of parents are starting to recognize me). As a result, the typical “wariness” of folks around the “Creeper Beeper” just isn’t there. Lots of them will wave, nod, and whatnot. As a result, I try to be a little more congenial to the kids when they surround me, and if there’s pennies to be had, I’m happy to let them take them. I’m not there for pennies anyway.

This particular day, the # of kids there was pretty light, but I seemed to catch them all like they were flies on a flystrip. A few of the young boys were very patient, and didn’t get in my way (they were up on a rock fixture, just watching, not saying anything or being otherwise annoying). So… When I pulled up a couple of pennies from the bark beneath their feet (sequentially, not at the same time), I reached up and handed them each a penny. They were thrilled, polite, and said, “Thanks!” They were probably 6-7 years old.

That’s the kind of attitude I like. Stay out of my way, be polite, don’t pester… fantastic.

A few minutes later, I had a gaggle of girls surrounding me… nothing to do with the boys (or so I thought), and every time I stooped to check out something, they were RIGHT THERE in my face. I repeatedly asked them to stay back, I didn’t want to accidentally nick one of them with the Lesche digger tool (Oh, man.. can you imagine the flack from that? “HE STABBED MY DAUGHTER WITH A DAGGER!” That’s all I could think about… it was so bad, that I had to put the digger tool in my pouch and dig with my hands).

I eventually got tired of it, and walked off the bark into the grass. I lost only about ½ the kids by doing this. When I noted the girls were still following, I turned, looked at them, and politely said, “OK, you kids need to go back and play now!” Then kept swinging. I lost another half of them… down to three… I finally gave up at that spot and walked up a hill near the park area, and surprisingly, the girls STILL followed. Now I’m thinking, “oh great… now I REALLY will catch flack from parents.” So, I simply turned around and said, you need to go back to the park, where your parents won’t worry about you.” I lost 2 more of them. I kept walking up and the first signal, the little girl was right in my face again… I finally just looked at her and said, “you need to go now, please.” She looked at me, and left. About 2 minutes later, I’m thinking I’m alone, and I’m working a coin spill (72 cents!) and all of a sudden in my left ear, I hear…

“I think you should give me that.”

WHA??? It’s the little girl!

I said, “Excuse me?” and scowled (Which usually does it).

She said, “You gave the other boys something, and I think you should give that to me.”

MAN… the moxie on 5 year olds! It made me laugh, but at that point, I couldn’t break… and I simply asked her to leave, please. She finally got the hint.

TOO funny!

#2 Giraffes belong to everyone

I was hunting a favorite park, and had some kids come up to me while I was hunting the bark. It started with a single little girl (probably 10 years old), who was alone (and that always freaks me out), so I told her to stay way back while I was detecting. She chattered away, and was generally pleasant, congratulating me on my finds and such. Never encroached on my space, and was always careful to stay out of my swing. No problems. Her brothers showed up about 2 minutes later, and they all basically got into what I was finding… all being polite.

After about 15 minutes of this, and having searched the area the kids play, I took off toward the ball field, and yelled back, “See you guys later!” They all took the point, and stayed put. No problems! I like kids like that.

I ended up finding a nice Tungsten Carbide men’s ring with Celtic scrolling that day (in fact, it’s my new favorite, and I wear it all the time), and was headed to my car at the curb, and stopped under a tree for a quick swing. Big loud tone.

I reached down and pulled out a 4 inch long broach of two Giraffes. One Gold, one Silver. The pin had bent (probably caught on something and fallen off a sweater). It was a bit under the mat, but showed no corrosion. I thought OOH… probably Gold! But alas, no. Too light, no hallmark.

I was just about done inspecting it and I was about to put it in my pocket, and I heard “Hey, what’d you find?” The same little girl had walked up in front of me (from all the way across the park) while the bill of my hat covered my eyes while looking down. I showed it to her, and she said, “oh, that’s NICE!” I was just about to give it to her when she got a funny look on her face, and looked like she wanted to say something, so I waited, figuring she was going to ask for it… I was thinking this would be a nice end to a day, and I was going to give it to her. Instead... what came out of her mouth was this.

“I’m pretty sure that’s my brother’s.”

I said, “Excuse me, young lady, do you want to try that again?” Giving her a chance to backtrack. Instead, she decided to full-on go with it!

“Yes, that’s my brother’s for sure.”

“Your brother’s, huh? Do you really expect me to believe that?”

“He loves Giraffe’s” and after looking at my face, she followed with, “Well… it COULD be his…” and looked down.

I said, “Young lady, I’m disappointed that you would stand here and lie to me like that. Both you and I know this is not your brother’s. I think you need to go now.”

She knew she’d blew it. I thought about telling her that I’d have given it to her if she’d asked, but I figured the lesson was good enough. No need to rub it in. She looked at the broach for a moment, shook her head ok, and walked off head hung.

What a knucklehead.

#3: Faster than a speeding bullet.

This one happened, a mere 2 weeks ago. I was digging in the park where I found that 81 diamond ring… and had JUST dug up a 14K gold band. I was working another signal, and found another ring about 4” down under some roots. I’d pulled it up, and was kneeling on both knees looking for a hallmark, and had noted some corrosion, and that the outer ring had some lettering. It couldn’t have been 2 seconds after I noted it was probably not valuable, when I heard “What’s that?” from a little girl off my right shoulder. When I’d stooped the closest person was probably 10 yards away. I figured it was just a little girl, so I held it up and said, “a ring.”

Like a little lightening ninja, she snatched the ring out of my fingers, and ran off shouting at the top of her lungs, “HE GAVE IT TO ME! HE GAVE IT TO ME!” I was absolutely SHOCKED, to say the least!

By the time I’d gotten up off of the knees and turned around full to see where she’d gone, she’d literally DISAPPEARED into the crowd. Not only did I not know WHICH little girl had taken the ring, the way she reacted, I’d have had a heck of a time getting it back if it had been real!

LESSON HERE… DON’T SHOW LITTLE KIDS YOUR STUFF.

#4 But…I asked nicely, though!

A few months ago, while detecting the same park as #2, I was working the main area where kids play soccer… I’d just pulled up a quarter, and put it in my bag, when one of the soccer kids walked away from practice, and came up to me.
I looked up and said, “Hello.”

He kind of hesitated for a second (like a kid who is building courage), and then beamed a big smile and answered, “Hello, are you finding money?”

I said, “Yep! I find change and stuff in the parks.”

“You should give me the money, because I don’t have any.”

I literally just belly laughed… and replied, “no, I’m NOT going to give you the money I found!”

He then gave me a look of complete SHOCK. (This was the funniest part… I really think he though he was going to get the money!), and answered, “But… But… But I asked NICELY!”

I laughed and told him to go back to practice, that my money is my money, and while I appreciated the fact he asked nicely, I was going to keep it.

He literally just stood there in shock, and even mumbled again, “But I asked NICELY…” I swung away around him and kept going. It made me laugh all day long.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a young lady follow me today while I was in the local swimming hole detecting. She was a freshman in a local high school and was there with her mom and sister. Very polite, asked questions and was very good company and she stayed out of my way. I told her about the Upward Bound Program that helps kids gets into College and how it worked. She seemed interested and I told her mom how to contact the program. I found less than a dollar but still had a good day.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate it when kids pick up my at pro and start to use it when Im digging a target...

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good company is always nice. I don't mind chatting up folks, as long as they're not getting in the way, or demanding 100% of my attention. :)

I had a young lady follow me today while I was in the local swimming hole detecting. She was a freshman in a local high school and was there with her mom and sister. Very polite, asked questions and was very good company and she stayed out of my way. I told her about the Upward Bound Program that helps kids gets into College and how it worked. She seemed interested and I told her mom how to contact the program. I found less than a dollar but still had a good day.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate it when kids pick up my at pro and start to use it when Im digging a target...

WHOA... I've NEVER had that happen!

I can't imagine a kid doing that either. Thinking back, I believe the options are limited, as I typically lay the AT Pro between myself and the bar of my detector.

Weird though!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Never ran into such nervy kids as you have. And glad for it.

Last edited:

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a tough lesson you learned with regards to story #3! My son and I were detecting at a beach a few weeks ago and some little girl started following us. We just kept walking and figured she would eventually leave so she wouldn't get too far from her mom (which she did). That would be weird if a kid just kept following you, getting far away from their parents/whoever they came with.

Usually if anyone in a public setting like that asks me if I'm finding anything, I give my standard response: "Mostly just trash and a couple of pennies". I don't normally give any finds away while I'm out hunting, because I don't want people following me all over the place, whether they are kids or not.

That is also a reason I tend to do popular spots like parks and schools at light traffic times. I don't normally spend a lot of time examining my finds out in the open, either. I'll look closer back in the truck or more likely, when I get back home.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really don't mind kids, as I think they're funny... My last career, I was a school teacher, having taught Kindergarten, 3rd Grade, 6th Grade, MIddle School Alternative Ed (those kids are weird), and High School... In my current career, I've even taught some College classes at the local university. I've run the gamut, and totally think Kids are great, as a general rule.

Generally, I think the more kids grow up and DON'T think that guy in the park is a weirdo, and have positive experiences with them, I think I'm doing the hobby a favor... I'd like them thinking back "Oh yeah, I remember a guy metal detecting... he was cool." is SO Much better than "Creeper Beeper." LOL

That being said, I really do get why MDers generally snarl at kids! :)

That is a tough lesson you learned with regards to story #3! My son and I were detecting at a beach a few weeks ago and some little girl started following us. We just kept walking and figured she would eventually leave so she wouldn't get too far from her mom (which she did). That would be weird if a kid just kept following you, getting far away from their parents/whoever they came with.

Usually if anyone in a public setting like that asks me if I'm finding anything, I give my standard response: "Mostly just trash and a couple of pennies". I don't normally give any finds away while I'm out hunting, because I don't want people following me all over the place, whether they are kids or not.

That is also a reason I tend to do popular spots like parks and schools at light traffic times. I don't normally spend a lot of time examining my finds out in the open, either. I'll look closer back in the truck or more likely, when I get back home.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago... think '79 or '80 -ish... when I had my first metal detector (BH TR500) I mustered up the courage to take it into downtown Halifax - on the bus, of course as I was still a teenage kid. I forget where I went 'hunting' as I didn't find anything of any importance (some of you are not surprised to hear this) but what I do remember is waiting at a bus stop to go home when two older boys walked up to me and started asking questions about the TR500. Naturally I was very nervous, being outnumbered and all... and when one of them asked to hold it, I was really freaked out. There wasn't anything I could do - either I let them see it or they took it from me, so I handed it over and expected the worst - to see them running off with it. Wonder of wonders, though, they turned it over a couple times, passed it back and forth ... and handed it back to me with a "Thanks" and a "pretty cool", and walked off. I was shocked and very relieved, to say the least. This was on Summer Street, in front of the NS Museum, for anyone who knows the area.

More recently, last winter when I was doing some beach hunting in the unseasonably warm weather, several people stopped and quizzed me including some young'uns, but nobody followed me around, that's for sure.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OOh, I'm pretty sure you were nervous to say the least!

I imagine detecting on a beach, you're not going to get a bunch of kids following you. IN a large tot lot though, where all the kids are playing together contained within the bark ring, and parents are ignoring them from the outside looking in... well.. that's a different story .:)

That, and in my quiet little part of the country, people are generally congenial. Not a lot of fear out here. Sure, bad things happen, but many of my neighbors still leave all their doors unlocked day and night. We've had a rash of "polite" burglers who will open car doors that are unlocked and take cash from wallets and purses (yeah, people DO leave them in their cars out here, still!) and then leave everything else. I wish we could catch them though, so we could show them why they shouldn't do that. :headbang:

Many years ago... think '79 or '80 -ish... when I had my first metal detector (BH TR500) I mustered up the courage to take it into downtown Halifax - on the bus, of course as I was still a teenage kid. I forget where I went 'hunting' as I didn't find anything of any importance (some of you are not surprised to hear this) but what I do remember is waiting at a bus stop to go home when two older boys walked up to me and started asking questions about the TR500. Naturally I was very nervous, being outnumbered and all... and when one of them asked to hold it, I was really freaked out. There wasn't anything I could do - either I let them see it or they took it from me, so I handed it over and expected the worst - to see them running off with it. Wonder of wonders, though, they turned it over a couple times, passed it back and forth ... and handed it back to me with a "Thanks" and a "pretty cool", and walked off. I was shocked and very relieved, to say the least. This was on Summer Street, in front of the NS Museum, for anyone who knows the area.

More recently, last winter when I was doing some beach hunting in the unseasonably warm weather, several people stopped and quizzed me including some young'uns, but nobody followed me around, that's for sure.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't mind talking to them for a minute or so, or even showing them what I have.

But then it turns into me being their new best friend, babysitter, and fun seeker.

So, when they won't go away, (I beach hunt in the water) I exclaim, "Man- I'm on the trail of solid gold!"

Then start getting deeper and deeper.

They bob a few times and then go away.

If I wanted kids or dogs helping me, I'd brought my own.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, when they won't go away, (I beach hunt in the water) I exclaim, "Man- I'm on the trail of solid gold!"
They bob a few times and then go away.

If I wanted kids or dogs helping me, I'd brought my own.

HAHA What a great visual :) As for bringing my own kid, I do that frequently, and when I do, the kids totally crowd HIM... He's 12 and it's so funny to look over. There's something about an Adult saying "go away" that works most of the time. When a 12 year old says it, it's the opposite... it's a rare event when it DOES. He's taken to simply asking them to stay away, so they don't get accidentally stabbed. He then will walk like half the park away to get away from them. I just laugh, but some of his best finds typically come from the half-a-park-away hunts, so no pity there!

Skippy

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm too big a Sucker to get annoyed by children. I did "Officer Friendly" for almost 20 years for K-6. When I get approached by the little curiosity seekers...it usually ends with me dragging out my old White's and giving them a crash course and following THEM around for a while. LOL :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. That's the whole OTHER end of the spectrum.. When you're loaning equipment that's definitely Level 2.:thumbsup:

I'm too big a Sucker to get annoyed by children. I did "Officer Friendly" for almost 20 years for K-6. When I get approached by the little curiosity seekers...it usually ends with me dragging out my old White's and giving them a crash course and following THEM around for a while. LOL :laughing7:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I absolutely LOVE kids...grilled with lemon pepper..:occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my share of all kinds of kids, most were just curious and got bored with me finding pennies and would go away.

There were two stand outs; A real sweet 6 yr old on the beach with his family and little detector, who was pleased as pie to find another MD'er. He showed me the change he found, pretty sure his dad planted most of it, and I told him if he's finding nickels he can find gold jewelry it's in the same range. The look that lit up his mom's face was priceless! I hope she got her "own" detector.

Then there was the 4 yr old lighting fast thief at a tot lot. I had just given his very polite 7 yr old sister a dime I found, I was uncovering a target reading "quarter" when he swooped down grabbed it and ran a few feet away. Turns out it was a Chuck E Cheese token, but I felt like I had been robbed! Lol!
His mom and sister were both telling him to give it back but he was having none of it. I said to his mom "He sure likes money!"

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my share of all kinds of kids, most were just curious and got bored with me finding pennies and would go away.

There were two stand outs; A real sweet 6 yr old on the beach with his family and little detector, who was pleased as pie to find another MD'er. He showed me the change he found, pretty sure his dad planted most of it, and I told him if he's finding nickels he can find gold jewelry it's in the same range. The look that lit up his mom's face was priceless! I hope she got her "own" detector.

Then there was the 4 yr old lighting fast thief at a tot lot. I had just given his very polite 7 yr old sister a dime I found, I was uncovering a target reading "quarter" when he swooped down grabbed it and ran a few feet away. Turns out it was a Chuck E Cheese token, but I felt like I had been robbed! Lol!
His mom and sister were both telling him to give it back but he was having none of it. I said to his mom "He sure likes money!"

Oh man, I know the robbed feeling. When kids put their paws into the hole before I get there in a tot lot, I think it's a whole lot harder to explain that they "took" something that's yours. After the first couple of pennies that disappeared that way, I don't dig anymore when kids are about, unless it's with the pointer and my own fingers ready!

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That was kind of my first experience with some "lookie lou's". 3 grade school boys came up and were asking me questions, seemed REALLY interested, and wanted to try it. I had noticed them acting somewhat oddly near the restroom earlier, but they were being very polite and listening to what I was telling them. So it started with me detecting and finding a target, giving them a probe to find the target, and then showing/helping recover it. Since all the targets were trash, pennies or dimes (which I would have let them keep anyways), they gave them to me right away and started asking "have you found another one yet?!" After a bit they started asking about using the detector. At that point they had done everything I had asked/told them to, and been VERY polite, so I gave in and gave them the how to and set them lose. To be honest, it was doubly awesome for a while - I was getting to see kids getting excited about metal detecting, and the three of them were taking turns detecting and recovering and bringing their finds straight to me. I just got to hang out in the shade while a "crew" did all the work for me. I got to where I was so confident in them, I told them I was going to run in to the restroom, and then I was going to need to go to work. So, leaving them with ALL of my gear, I went in to the restroom and found it a mess - TP clogging the sink and toilet, and a water bottle shoved in the urinal. I had seen the cleaning crew there an hour or so before, so I knew it was recent. Being a Park Ranger, I cleaned the mess up and took some of the trash out to throw away, and went to the boys. I said "I'm only going to ask once, and I want an honest answer - did one of you do this?". I was somewhat relieved when one of them looked at me with a look of regret and nodded. All I said was "I think that is enough metal detecting for today" and collected my gear. As I was leaving I stopped and spoke with that boy and said "Do me a favor - in the future when you think of doing things like that, just remember that any time you do that, someone like me has to come in and clean it up." He gave me an apology and I went on my way.

The next run it was at actually a daycare that had brought all the kids (I'd guess ages 5-12)to the park. I was pleased when rather than being mobbed by the kids, an adult came up and me, introduced her self and said "the kids have been asking a bunch of questions, any chance you could give them a quick talk?" Again, liking the idea of getting kids interested in doing things OUTSIDE, I said sure. I went and gave them a quick "This is what I'm going, this is why I'm doing it, and this is how I do it" I then answered a few questions, and went back to it, with only one follower, who only wanted to dig the targets for me (and then give them to me)

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, those are great stories Moose! I really like the fact you got to do an impromptu "lesson" on MDing. What a great experience!

Skippy

That was kind of my first experience with some "lookie lou's". 3 grade school boys came up and were asking me questions, seemed REALLY interested, and wanted to try it. I had noticed them acting somewhat oddly near the restroom earlier, but they were being very polite and listening to what I was telling them. So it started with me detecting and finding a target, giving them a probe to find the target, and then showing/helping recover it. Since all the targets were trash, pennies or dimes (which I would have let them keep anyways), they gave them to me right away and started asking "have you found another one yet?!" After a bit they started asking about using the detector. At that point they had done everything I had asked/told them to, and been VERY polite, so I gave in and gave them the how to and set them lose. To be honest, it was doubly awesome for a while - I was getting to see kids getting excited about metal detecting, and the three of them were taking turns detecting and recovering and bringing their finds straight to me. I just got to hang out in the shade while a "crew" did all the work for me. I got to where I was so confident in them, I told them I was going to run in to the restroom, and then I was going to need to go to work. So, leaving them with ALL of my gear, I went in to the restroom and found it a mess - TP clogging the sink and toilet, and a water bottle shoved in the urinal. I had seen the cleaning crew there an hour or so before, so I knew it was recent. Being a Park Ranger, I cleaned the mess up and took some of the trash out to throw away, and went to the boys. I said "I'm only going to ask once, and I want an honest answer - did one of you do this?". I was somewhat relieved when one of them looked at me with a look of regret and nodded. All I said was "I think that is enough metal detecting for today" and collected my gear. As I was leaving I stopped and spoke with that boy and said "Do me a favor - in the future when you think of doing things like that, just remember that any time you do that, someone like me has to come in and clean it up." He gave me an apology and I went on my way.

The next run it was at actually a daycare that had brought all the kids (I'd guess ages 5-12)to the park. I was pleased when rather than being mobbed by the kids, an adult came up and me, introduced her self and said "the kids have been asking a bunch of questions, any chance you could give them a quick talk?" Again, liking the idea of getting kids interested in doing things OUTSIDE, I said sure. I went and gave them a quick "This is what I'm going, this is why I'm doing it, and this is how I do it" I then answered a few questions, and went back to it, with only one follower, who only wanted to dig the targets for me (and then give them to me)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread