Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Be aware that the sea-hunter is a pulse. And so even though it has a rudimentary discrimination, yet I don't think it's gonna knock out iron. Eg.: bobby pins, nails, etc... You can knock out foil and tabs perhaps (but why would you do that if your objective is gold jewelry on the beach??) But unlike standard discriminators, a pulse will loose iron last (rather than first) on the TID scale.

So if you plan to get the sea hunter, just be aware that you might be hating life if you get on a nail-riddled beach.

I'd go with the Excal. You can get the cheaper on the used market. Or, heck, if you're not planning on going UNDER water (ie.: submerged) and are just gonna use it on the beach, or at ankle-depth, etc..., then you don't need a water-proof/submersible machine. An explorer, CZ6, 6000 di pro, or any number of land machines do just fine (so long as they work well on wet mineralized salt).

About the only exception I can think of, to my dislike of pulses, is if there were absolutely no other way on some super mineralized beaches. There are supposedly some beaches where the sand is like gun-powder black. In those rare circumstances, only a pulse will cut it.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Forget the Sea Hunter 2 or the Infinium. I had both, they are not deep, you can look at comparisons on youtube, there are quite a few. If you're getting a PI I recommend a DF. If a VLF I would try a Fisher, I have an Excalibur myself though it is very annoying.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
If it's out of your price range, look for a second hand Fisher CZ20 or a DF, prices should be cheap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread