GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

First please do not beat me down like one poster has done recently. I am just asking. :) New to this sport and so excited about it.... these clubs, are they basically just social times once a month or do they help their newbies learn. What can I expect? The first meeting as a visitor - I did get suggestions on the metal detector to start off with. I took the suggestion and I do like the Model. Basically I am learning by myself. But are the meetings just for raising funds - 50/50's, and such? I did go to a spring hunt when I got my metal detector - I was happy with my finds - dumb luck...lol. I guess that I thought a "club" would help others new comers learn their machine and take them under their their wing to learn. I do not mean to give up their spots. Am I expecting too much in the way of help and learning? Kinda confused.... I keep going to the meetings - but I am confused.

I keep going out huntin and trying ....

Thanks.... Momma

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

CaptChip40

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2015
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MD to me, as a new digger seemed to be a solitary hobby or sport not lending itself to social interaction as a club. That was my perception before taking up the hobby. Just the protectiveness of ones hunting grounds, the wearing of headphones, the freedom to come and go as one pleases just seems more inclined as a solitary hobby. I do agree with the poster who says the internet is a form of club. This seems do work best for me, social interaction, great learning tool and can stay away from the a$$holes.

I would never be a member of a club that would have me as a member anyway.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gone diggin

I spent the first 5 years detecting alone.had to figure everything out by trial and error.I was essentially the only md'er in my little mtn.town.One day an old friend saw my truck in a turnout and thot I needed help.I saw him from woods and we ended up talking about md'ing,he had an mxt in the closet for several years.I agreed to help him learn his machine and he is now my hunting buddy for several years.

My advice is to recruit your hunting partner if you want to have one.It seems now a days I'm either hunting with my wife,my buddy,or both and we have a blast.I still hunt alone at times but there are natural dangers in the woods here and hunting solo can get a bit iffy with the critters.we all have walkie talkies and keep pretty close track of where eachother are.

my 2 cents

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread