NEL Storm 13”x14” DD Search Coil??!?!

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello I have the Ace 250 right now and I plan to keep it for a good bit just kinda I guess deck it out with way bigger coils ect :) right now I have the stock coil which i'm happy with, but i'm starting and wanting to become way more serous about detecting and stuff I was wanted to get the NEL Storm 13”x14” DD Search Coil for Garrett ACE 150, 250 and 350 Metal Detector around the holidays this year I was wondering how much depth would I get with that coil? Reminder I have the stock coil now...

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigger coils sometimes can be a burden. They are heavier to swing for long lengths of time and depending on what sort of site you are searching, it may be a hinderance if it is at all trashy. I use mine if I am beach hunting...it covers more ground. Or in a site that has very little signals being heard.Yes you may get some better depth but you really have to tailor the large coil to a site that will cooperate best with what you are looking for. A smaller coil will always trump a large one in a trashy or iron filled lot.

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What coil would you recommend then that will get really good depth?

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or would me just getting the 8.5"x11" Coil DD from the Ace 350 and put it on my Ace 250 would that get me the depth i'm wanting as a coin shooter?

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where do you hunt the most? I consider myself a coin shooter and I was quite happy with the 9" x 11" DD coil my F75 came with, I have been using an aftermarket 12" x 15" DD coil for about 2 months now. Most of the sites I hunt aren't that trashy, but if I do hunt a trashy site I can revert back to the 9 x 11 or even put the 5" coin on. More coils allows for more flexibility when hunting. I have yet to dig many coins that are deeper than 9 inches deep, maybe 2 or 3 coins between 9 and 10 inches, but nothing deeper to date.

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mainly hunt in somewhat clean places I mean it does have its trash but other than that they are about 75% clean most of the time

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mainly hunt in somewhat clean places I mean it does have its trash but other than that they are about 75% clean most of the time

You can't go wrong by getting a bigger coil. There will be some additional weight. Think of your detector as a fishing pole and the coils as the lures you use to fish. You use a different lure for different fishing conditions. The rain can be your friend when you want to find deeper coins. Slow your swing and dig some iffy/whisper signals.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with getting a larger coil because there are times you need them. I usually use them for coverage and not some much as for the extra depth they get. My thinking here is based on you saying that you want to get more serious about your detecting so here are my two cents worth of wisdom and please take it with a grain of salt. :laughing7:

If you detect dirt more than beaches I'd go smaller and not larger. The 8.5x11 coil you have is going to get you the depth you need. Don't get hung up on depth because you'll find most of the older coins at around 5"-7" unless it's a virgin spot and your coil will do just fine. Your average person is going to run from trashy areas and that my friend is were the goodies are at in a pounded spot. Throwing a 5 or 6 inch coil on your detector will open up those trashy spots.
If you really want to get serious spend more time using your detector and learn the tones like the back of your hand. Practice taking your time and keeping your coil close to the ground through your complete swing will absolutely net you more good finds. A good location would be nice too:laughing7: Good luck and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread