Garrett AT Pro question

Daved001

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been metal detecting two years using a Garrett Ace 350. I'm looking at upgrading to a Garrett AT Pro. My question is what is the likelihood that Garrett will be releasing a replacement to the AT Pro in the near future? From what I can tell it was released back in 2010. Since I'm new to the metal detecting scene how often do metal detectors get upgraded? I'm looking at it from the perspective of say for example a laptop. Buy a laptop today and six months later it's already outdated. If I buy a AT Pro today will I get burned because they release a newer, better model months from now? To me I would think by now (five years later) Garrett would be rolling out an upgrade to the AT Pro. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the replies.

Upvote 0

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'd get the at pro because if your finding things with it, and if they come up with a newer model,it doesn't change the fact that you are still finding stuff. unlike a computer that gets slower as web pages get bigger, there are better detectors out there but the at pro will probably be in your price range and it is a very good detector.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The AT Pro is a very popular detector and will hold its value so you could sell it for a reasonable price.
Unless the new model blew the ATP out of the water, I see no value in holding off buying one.
Just make sure you research what some of our vendors here on TNet sell the AT Pro for so you can make your best deal.
Then should you decide to sell it your loss is minimal.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stepped up to the AT Pro after about 80 hours on the Ace 250. I do think I've gotten better/more efficient in how I approach the hobby, but honestly after about 35-40 hours on the Pro it is a world of difference. I've taken it back over two places I hunted previously, with extraordinary results.

I don't know the technology well enough to forecast, but my sense as a beginner-to-intermediate is that the Pro is an exceptional value in its current form, and should provide you with years of room to grow your research and technical skills with a very effective tool. My 2 cents, hope it helps in your decision making : )

OP
OP
D

Daved001

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies so far. What is the "best price" that I could expect to pay for the AT Pro? From my research the best I've found so far is $594.95. I'm not interested in bundled accessories just want the AT Pro only. What have you guys that own one paid?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Call Bart at Big Boy Hobbies and he'll beat up on that price.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pro was well worth the upgrade from my Ace 350. Don't be afraid to buy one used, Garrett is great about repairs.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget the pro is also waterproof (down to 10 feet). I've been using mine for water hunting, but it's also nice to just rinse it when I get home. Also, you will need a new set of headphones... keep that in mind!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VLF detectors have reached their limits as far as depth and sensitivity. I see manufacturers working on the quality of the machine and iron discrimination. I also am seeing a lot of gadgets like options, like blue tooth, wireless and things. I have found my detectors over powered and have to be choked down to get optimal performance. Low sensitivity does not always mean lost depth. I see advancements in coil design.

mrmrsbenoit

Jan 9, 2013
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had been using a Delta 4000 and have recently bought an AT Pro. As said above gone over the same location and found more coins and items deeper that my Delta 4000 did not locate. Also the target separation and settings on the AT Pro give u a better chance of find items in trashy ground. Hope U find one at a good price. I paid full retail for mine $594.95 at a hobby shop. Just came with ear phones.

ASE

Greenie
Aug 27, 2015
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to detecting and ended up ordering this version from Amazon for $637 because of the carrying case, digger, coil cover, and pouch which I needed....I know you say you're not interested in bundled accessories but it was less than $40 more for over $100 worth of useful extras. If you still want the standalone, I keep seeing Bart at Big Boy Hobbies mentioned all over this forum:

OP
OP
D

Daved001

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for the useful replies. I ended up ordering a Garrett AT Pro from Bart. It seems like mentioning prices is a no no on this site but I will admit for the AT Pro only (no bundled accessories) it was way under the $594.95 that you usually see when researching prices for this metal detector. The only reason I didn't go with a bundled package is because I currently own an Ace 350 and I already have a pin-pointer and digging tool.

Take care everyone.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really need to get the 5x8 coil....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread