Why dig all them Pennies.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like many Noobs, when I started detecting last year I discriminated zinc. I did not want to waste my time digging toasted zincolns. What a mistake, I dig all zinc's now an have pulled 13 IHPs this year. One being a key date. I currently discriminate iron and foil (VDI 1-25) on the F75 LTD SE. To many, I should only disc out 1-19, but I am a coin shooter and the set-up works good for me.

shovelready

Apr 21, 2015
s.w.washington
Detector(s) used
tesoro outlaw vaquero, anfibio multi, Makro pulse dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason you dig all those pennies is because when you add them all up, they make dollars....

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll give you one more reason to dig pennies.

I was digging a penny signal close to the sea wall at a beach, when I got down 4" and it's still deeper, I figured I was going to be digging a piece of copper pipe. At 11-12" I finally scooped what ever it was out of the hole, shaking the scoop I was shocked to see a good sized religious pendant marked 14K, with flecks of copper in it. So you never know for sure till you dig it out.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll give you one more reason to dig pennies.

I was digging a penny signal close to the sea wall at a beach, when I got down 4" and it's still deeper, I figured I was going to be digging a piece of copper pipe. At 11-12" I finally scooped what ever it was out of the hole, shaking the scoop I was shocked to see a good sized religious pendant marked 14K, with flecks of copper in it. So you never know for sure till you dig it out.
Msbeep, Your story is EXACTLY my point! A penny should not be detectable at 12". And it was gold, not a penny. Two strikes against the display. Incidentally, I use a PI on beaches which doesn't have a display anyway. TTC

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Msbeep, Your story is EXACTLY my point! A penny should not be detectable at 12". And it was gold, not a penny. Two strikes against the display. Incidentally, I use a PI on beaches which doesn't have a display anyway. TTC
Point is kinda mute, if she was going by sound only and looking for gold only she might not have dug it as it sounded like a penny. What she did right was dig because it repeated. Sound ID is a direct reflection of what's on the screen. So If the screen is lying so are your headphones.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My current machines will detect a penny at 12"......14" as a matter of fact. I do it every time I go out to the beach. In that venue, you dig everything above iron, and sometimes even that. I've found some nice knives and tools scooping iron at the beach. I dig foil sounds too. Sure, I get lots or seals, aluminum foil, gum wrappers, and cigarette packs, but, small gold and platinum rings are in that range too and they "sound" just as bad. At an urban park, I'd ignore those sounds and readings along with the iron and zincs (unless Indians are a possibility). They're just not worth that extra effort on my old bones. Now at an old home site, I'll make the extra effort....at least until the roofing nails drive me crazy!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My current machines will detect a penny at 12"......14" as a matter of fact. I do it every time I go out to the beach. In that venue, you dig everything above iron, and sometimes even that. I've found some nice knives and tools scooping iron at the beach. I dig foil sounds too. Sure, I get lots or seals, aluminum foil, gum wrappers, and cigarette packs, but, small gold and platinum rings are in that range too and they "sound" just as bad. At an urban park, I'd ignore those sounds and readings along with the iron and zincs (unless Indians are a possibility). They're just not worth that extra effort on my old bones. Now at an old home site, I'll make the extra effort....at least until the roofing nails drive me crazy!
Cuda, you and your machines' abilities go way beyond mine. I also dig ALL sounds at a beach. Why not? The sand is easy to dig. At 12/14 inches we are talking fringe targets. Of course the sound/display fails "out there". Just getting a signal out there is good. Tnx for your response. TTC

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging everything at my local beaches would drive you crazy with all the iron targets. That's why I don't use a PI machine.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use all the info my machine gives me. After digging 6" and no "penny" I knew it was bigger but still was copper. If the pendant was a silver/gold mix the M6 may have still picked up the signal but a mix of other metals or a purer gold no, I wouldn't have heard a peep out of it.
After digging that far what ever it was, was mine! It was going home with me.

Knowing what your detector is capable of is half the battle, that gives you a heads up when something different comes along, then you "know" when something is a little odd. Odd is usually good.

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The real reasons to dig "penny" signals:
1. If you find a concentration of wheat cents, silver coins are probably nearby.
2. That "penny" signal may actually be a very worn silver dime, or, a silver dime and wheat cent together.

wmpwi

Sep 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What drives me crazy is the recognition that I will spend 15 minutes digging in a hole under roots and rocks to find a penny which often times I would step over on the sidewalk without a moment's thought. Talk about a disconnect.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe some are getting things turned around. The best display or meter is the one between your ears. When swinging my ole sovereign, only used the meter twice, could ID by tones etc better without it. That being said, I think your skill and time on the machine should be the primary tool and the display second to help verify what your skill and knowledge is telling you. I think YOU are more accurate (with practice) than any display or meter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread