First Find in the Dirt ! and a "Golden" Omen

SandyBottoms

Sep 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Xcal 1000, II, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After only a little more than a year into MDing and strictly beach/shallow water (and loving it), I picked up a used Garrett Ace 250 and took it to a park for the first time today... Man, that place was as trashy as all the beaches around here! There were signals with just about every swing. My first pull was an old bottle cap, so was the second. The third find I saw sitting on a leaf and thought it was a gold earring but it turned out to be a Golden Beetle. Never seen one before and it looked exactly like a Ladybug but all shiny gold color. Neat. Also pulled my first coin out of the dirt...a clad quarter at about 2". Ended up with two quarters, a dime, two rusty nails, a button, a wingnut, three bottle caps, a couple pull tabs, and some kind of latch.

Was pretty much choosing what to dig at random because there really were too many signals and the majority of them read as dimes on the display. Any advice on learning to discriminate with this machine would be much appreciated.

For sure it's a whole different thing digging targets out of the dirt than it is scooping them out of the water, and I love it too.

HH y'all...

Attachments

• IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 126
  • FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 119
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your dry land hunt. I never saw a beetle like that before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread