Old country club golf course

Oct 16, 2010
All the Tee areas and if there was a driving range that too. Was there a "Pro" shop (read bar)? Those would be my starting points.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
24 acres?!? I don't think it matters where you start

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd start at the 19th hole :headbang: and work out from there.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually tee off at hole #1, unless it's backed up and they let you go off at #10.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Tee areas, green areas and rest areas(shaded or non-shaded benches). Then any thing that was a snack shop/bar/19th Hole/ then a pro shop area. Any old water hazards. Old balls are worth money too. There is an old abandoned course less than a mile from me. It is the boundary of a very expensive housing area. Don't know if it has ever been touched, but it is private property. The old Holiday Hills Country Club from the 1930's. Clubhouse burned down, course closed during depression I think. We belonged to the swim club(pool area) in the 50's. Cool old place. ALSO, since I won't go to jail now. I used to play Brackenridge Park golf course here for years. Built by Tillinghast in 1917 or so. Used to find arrowheads, old balls(dried ponds), old club heads all the time. old coins, gave them to the starter so I could play anytime. There's tons of stuff out on those courses to discover...

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope so I got full permission I think it's never been hunted all buildings are still there. Planning to do are con hunt on Friday before work hopefully find silvers

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am hunting an 87 acre course ( about 100 years old) currently (exclusive permission.....new owner has security guard!). Found lots of silver near the practice greens and the 18th hole green. There was a half dozen mercury dimes in a corner of the property near a couple houses (off property). Several of these were on the old green. I theorize that this was an area used by the neighbors and the dimes were pushed during construction. Check out any shelters especially if they had pitcher pumps on them at one time. Also determine the location of any old houses off of old maps and search that area first. The netted me an 1829 half cent.

Remember that the courses nines could have been reversed at some point or the layout could have changed during a redesign. Talk to someone who played there during the 60's and see what they remember.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread