Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron ID's, how to know which iron to dig? [Eurotek Pro]

Hello, I have the Eurotek pro 11DD for a month now and I have dug many great finds here in Europe. But as you all might know, Europe has a lot of Iron in the soil and much of that iron could be something interesting such as guns from the world wars or some old iron relics and so on. I have learned the aproximate signals for non-ferrous targets but I do not dig iron targets because I just cant learn the signals for them. Iron targets should be in the 1-39 range and most of the time nails and just some other iron pieces jump around the scale so I do not know what to dig and what to not dig. How do you guys know when to dig iron and when not to?

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if its big it rings higher,rusty=higher,shallow-higher...the truth is you arent going to be able to tell more than appox size.when you pinpoint it you should be able to tell size.relic hunters dig it all.

OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if its big it rings higher,rusty=higher,shallow-higher...the truth is you arent going to be able to tell more than appox size.when you pinpoint it you should be able to tell size.relic hunters dig it all.
Thanks for the tip!

Sorry about that mess above I wrote, I hope everyone can understand what I meant. It is pretty hard to type while at school on phone in the middle of physics class :D. Anyways, I read a lot of material on the internet regarding the iron but to be honest they do not make much sense. I tried the method of digging out all iron that gives fairly good signal, but at the end of the day I had full bag of shrapnel pieces, nails, and just a lot of other scrap. So my question is, how do I avoid digging out "bad" iron targets? Is that even possible? And my detector on pinpoint mode does not have indicators for size.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tip!

Sorry about that mess above I wrote, I hope everyone can understand what I meant. It is pretty hard to type while at school on phone in the middle of physics class :D. Anyways, I read a lot of material on the internet regarding the iron but to be honest they do not make much sense. I tried the method of digging out all iron that gives fairly good signal, but at the end of the day I had full bag of shrapnel pieces, nails, and just a lot of other scrap. So my question is, how do I avoid digging out "bad" iron targets? Is that even possible? And my detector on pinpoint mode does not have indicators for size.

What do you consider bad iron vs good iron? Is the good iron stuff you like that's made out of iron and bad iron stuff you don't like that's make out of iron?

OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you consider bad iron vs good iron? Is the good iron stuff you like that's made out of iron and bad iron stuff you don't like that's make out of iron?
Iron relics are good things. Good iron is the iron that is worth keeping. Ive dug a load of barbed wires, shrapnel, nails and so on. Europe is pretty full of it. And as pretty much nobody would keep that kind of iron, it counts as bad iron.

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, I have the ETP pro DD. The great thing about this machine is its ability to disc. out the Iron. I live on farm land and its full of iron. Your question is how does one know which iron is good and which is bad. In a nut shell you don't. However generally if its low 1 to 30 its probably small iron like nails or in your case shrapnel. As stated above the condition, depth ,and lets not forget size effects the readings. So this being said; Its all in what your looking for. If its coins, set the disc up to not hear the iron or just leave it open and ignore the low tones. By doing the later you may pick up a good silver coin that is being mask by iron. Your machine is a wonderful piece of equipment and as you play with its settings you probably find a happy medium. For coin shooting in a trashy area Ive had luck with volume 10 sens 10, disc at 79. Also you may try covering a small area at different settings to see what difference it makes. Also on youtube there are some nice vids of test gardens. This may be helpful. Anyway keep at it, if your having fun your doing it right.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only going to be one way to know and that is to dig it all.

I solve that by assuming all iron is junk - which it pretty much is in this part of the world. Only so many cultivator blade tips can a man dig before he's seen enough.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just run enough disc to break up small iron like fence wire or nails. A lot of cool relics are big pieces of iron

OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, thanks everyone! I have been messing around with the discrimination and currently I have it set up at 28. Sometimes I still hit nails, but in couple of days I have found interesting pieces of iron, such as hammerhead and what I belive is ww2 ammo case top part.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I didn't want to dig small iron at a particular site, I'd go ahead and dig a few pieces and place a good representative on the ground and turn up the discrimination until it no longer reads on the detector. If it's an old site, I think I'd just dig them all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread