First detector!

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
Looking to buy my first detector sometime soon!.

Was REALLY tempted last month when Minelabs re released their GPX 4500 models..at a much reduced price to original release.

Just not sure which one Would suit me best.:icon_scratch:

You see I would like to do the odd trip to the goldfields and look for alluvial gold... but I don't want to spend half my life out there when its hot and there's a zillion flies etc... I am NOT that keen..... lets call me "a fair weather" prospector.

When it's 100 degrees + in the water bag - I'd sooner be home in the air con, researching planning and preparing for future trips... retired I can pretty much choose when I want to go and where, so not confined to weekends and 'holidays' at the wrong time of year. Kids are all grown so not restricted to school hols dates either... can go early late or any season that suits me really.

What I WOULD love to do is detect a few beaches local parks and maybe even a occasional stream as well.

The thing is - I don't know if the GPX 4500 - would stand up well for beach (and stream) detecting and almost certain I can't put the coil end in salt or freshwater... wouldn't mind trying the local parks and kids playground sand pits etc, maybe of an early morning in summer when its cool for an hour or two... i.e. local areas...close to home.

So to my question.

Do i need 2 separate detectors... the GPX 4500 for the goldfields and something else for parks close to home, the beaches and streams?

If I do need 2 detectors... & the GPX 4500 is OK for goldfields... which is the best one for me to get to do the local stuff for beaches, streams, parks etc?

Should I just get the local one for parks, beaches, streams etc first & get used to using it before graduating to the GPX 4500 and trying my luck in the goldfields?... i.e will I "learn" anything looking locally for clad and jewellery etc - that will translate to good experience / skill for the goldfields with the GPX 4500 or are they 2 completely different techniques machines... & disciplines?

Been trying to nut this all out for ages and I keep equivocating & haven't taken the plunge - I need to get started, while I am still able!.

Any tips for which machine / machines would suit me best and which to start out with first?

Many thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'd start with an AT Pro at around $600 to so how you like it. Not the best for wet salty sands but very good in fresh water. The learning curve is also not very difficult unlike the GPX 4500. If you still have gold fever, buy the much more expensive unit.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Be faithful to your nation! Purchase a Minelab :) Probably cheaper there for you.

As a red blooded American who actually visited Sydney twice on R&R during the war, I have a tad bit of affection for the nation of Australia.

Long, long ago

But, then I switched to using Minelabs instead of domestic detectors, and I have more of a love for those!

If you're going to do beaches and perhaps some water hunting, the Excal or CTX. If you could pick one up used, your wallet would be much happier!

Also, for a person using domestic detectors, switching to Minelab has a steep learning curve = they're sound machines and sound machines seem to have been forgotten over here. If you make the investment, expect to make a kinda equal investment of time & patience learning the beast. Do it and you'll never look back.

Keep the faith!

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Eddie,You have gotten the 4500 for nuggets, right ? And now you ask if you should get something else for parks, playground, etc... (ie.: coin/fumble fingers) hunting. Versus if the 4500 can be used for that too. The technical answer to your question, is that you MOST CERTAINLY CAN use a nugget machine for coins, relic, turf, etc... And guaranteed you "won't miss a thing" and will have 'balls to the walls depth" . Who could ask for anything more, eh ?? :dontknow: :laughing7:

The trouble is, as you're working the "typical park or school yard", you will GO CRAZY having the bells of notre dame ring on every push pin, BB, fleck, nail, etc.....

The goals of each venue is diametrically opposed. A nugget hunter WANTS to hear every fleck, every BB, etc... right ? But the guy who's gonna hunt a park or school yard or ghost town for coins/relic/jewelry, will go plumb crazy hearing all that. If you had any idea how much teensy little staples, flecks, nails, etc... are in the average yard, or ghost town, or park, you would not ever want to use a nugget prospecting machine for that. You'll need to get 2 different machines.

There are some cross-over machines which do a "so-so" job in each venue, but the 4500 is not one of them. The 4500 is strictly for nuggets, and excells in that arena.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't bought it already, wait on buying the 4500. The 4800's are going to be discontinued and the remaining stock will have a steep discount soon, if not already. I agree with those who recommend 2 machines. Two completely different venues and targets. If you're going to hit both fresh and salt water, and you want discrimination, Minelab's are the way to go. From a Sovereign GT, Explorer SE, E-trac, or up to the CTX (if your pocketbook can handle it), they will handle anything you can throw at it. The learning curve is not all that bad. Take it in increments. Start with the turn-on-and-go settings and expand out from there. Cheers!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, you should have at least two machines. The Minelab pulse induction machine for the goldfields, and a Minelab XTerra 505, or 705 VLF for other dirt, dry beach sand and freshwater uses.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Xterra's suck in the wet or water at a salt water beach. If you plan on hunting that type of area, get a BBS or FBS Minelab instead. Otherwise, the 705 is a nice land machine.

Beach925

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2015
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Xterra's suck in the wet or water at a salt water beach. If you plan on hunting that type of area, get a BBS or FBS Minelab instead. Otherwise, the 705 is a nice land machine.

But the X-Terra's work ok on dry beach sand?
Will they work at ALL in wet or damp beach sand?

Reason I ask is I just ordered an X-Terra 505 and was hoping to hunt the beach and parks with it..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread