Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get yourself one of those stick on mustache and beard :)

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps the fact you are only 15 will get you some positive results. People might just look at you like some young nerdy kid with his detector and let ya have at it.

As a home owner myself I would probably feel more relaxed if some 15yo came a knocking compared to a middle-aged man. Stereotypical I guess...but whatever. I got kids and a wife and my brain is always in protect mode.

I'd say go knock away...getting a rejection is not the end of the world. Builds character. You will absolutely get a yes eventually....and that will hopefully be the yard the rad stuff is in.

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you guys for the help!:)

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make sure you leave the yards in good shape!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the yard looks old enough and to good to pass up on then you could also offer to do some free yard work as a trade. One of my best sites for finds was a elderly mans huge old yard and he was super happy for me offering to cut down some overgrown bushes and alders. Literally 45 min job for free access to hunt the place anytime.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try to catch the homeowner doing their yard work out front. It's much easier and much less intimidating than knocking on doors. I've had much more success using this approach.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I agree with hunter GT: I used to get lots of permissions from cold-call knocking on front doors when I was a kid (in the late 1970s with my Whites 66TR, and my garrett Groundhog). But as I got older, I got less permissions and more rejections. So you're actually better off as a youngster, than a suspicious adult :)

I disagree with kiddo1979: Don't bargain for yard work. Because 1/2 or 3/4 of them could be silly low results (clad only, or nothing, etc....) And before long, you'd find yourself doing yard work for nothing. Also, the mere act of "offering yard work in exchange for blah blah", puts you in the immediate camp of a sales-person. And we ALL know what we do with door-to-door salespersons, right? We say no thank you and close the door.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with hunter GT: I used to get lots of permissions from cold-call knocking on front doors when I was a kid (in the late 1970s with my Whites 66TR, and my garrett Groundhog). But as I got older, I got less permissions and more rejections. So you're actually better off as a youngster, than a suspicious adult :)

I disagree with kiddo1979: Don't bargain for yard work. Because 1/2 or 3/4 of them could be silly low results (clad only, or nothing, etc....) And before long, you'd find yourself doing yard work for nothing. Also, the mere act of "offering yard work in exchange for blah blah", puts you in the immediate camp of a sales-person. And we ALL know what we do with door-to-door salespersons, right? We say no thank you and close the door.

I agree mostly but i did say only if it was a certain situation that was a spot that was worth the risk of a little work. Helping a elderly neighbor can go a long way for other permissions or leads in the neighborhood also.

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you guys im busy today but will try it sometime this week or weekend

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Art of Sales!
First make sure your appearance is as neat as possible. Even though you may be digging at least try to appear neat. Bring your tools of the trade with you when you are in front of them, this could lead to an opening to get the conversation going.
Talk so they can understand you. Please and Thank you also.
Reassure them that you will leave the yard as you found it.
Tell them you will let them know when you will plan on being on their property and you will tell them when you are leaving.
The biggest thing about rejection is that you will hone your skills for the next possible door you knock on.
Good Luck and keep us posted.

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely be presentable as stated above. it really does go a long way. im 25 and i have a hard time finding spots to go and even knocking on doors is tough cause it seems like everyones brother or uncle metal detects and is "saving their yard" for them. also, you're going to get A LOT of rude people to tell you to hit the road. dont let them discourage you. always use your manners. yes ma'am, no, sir, etc. youll also come across the people whove seen "those metal detecting shows" and want to tell you that they know what a confederate button is worth and that youre not going to make money off of them. always remember that anything you dig up is property of the land owner and what you find is up to them to let you keep. make sure they know that. you will also find that there are a lot of people who dont actually know what metal detecting actually is. be sure to explain to them the best that you can in simple terms what youre actually doing so it doesnt sound so intimidating. always respect the property and assure them that you will everything as you found it. do not turn of electric fences because of interference. i cant tell you how many times i get rejected because of how many people actually do that. just simply go elsewhere. im kind of just going on a tangent here lol. youll have better luck than me im sure. at 15 people will go "hey, hes just a kid with a hobby" and at my age its "hey, that guys looking to make profit" and they get that idea from tv unfortunately. to this day ive never ever sold any of my finds and ive been doing it since i was your age. good luck dude and happy hunting!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leave the yards alone, kid. People have an affinity for the place that surrounds their habitat.

Seek out common areas, places where your local activities set up (fields where carnivals, fairs, outdoor concerts, etc. set up), areas along a river/stream where people tend to picnic/relax/fish, parks/hiking trails, ...........

Always make sure you cover your holes the best you can and dispose of the trash you find. If people try to talk to you while hunting, and they will, ask them about places that may be good to hunt. Don't let them be the only questioner about what your doing. One time a conversion like that got me permission to hunt an old yard where the guys grandmother passed away a year or so before. Didn't find a whole lot, but split what I did find, and he got back an old MatchBox car he remembered as a kid.

Be innovative or you'll just hunt where everyone hunts.

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a "kid" and I dont like how you kinda insulted me by saying " cover you holes the best you can". No I alway have and will dig and nice clean plug...

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, no insult intended. Your profile has nothing. Just want to assure your continual success. Being 50 years younger than me still makes you a kid to me.:hello:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, you have an advantage. Being 15 you are "just a kid doing kid stuff" (no offense, I don't mean to insult you, but that's how the old ladies who like to complain will see you...). Embrace that... be the cute kid looking for stuff. It will get you into places where use adults who "know better" can't. Most adults will let it slide since you are doing something harmless rather than what most teenagers are doing (at least around here). Be that naive kid they believe you are, and be nice, it will take you a long way.

Ok the reality:

Anyway... avoid SODDED grass.. it's usually loaded with trash underneath... find old baseball fields, swimming holes, places where people met long ago... even the side of the road if it's old grass. There are lots of gold rings to be found in parks believe it or not. Get there early before the dog walkers to reduce suspicion.

Good luck with your hunts.

Don't be afraid to ask, worst they can say is no. Tell them you are looking for old silver coins and that you "avoid" digging holes (I just make cut slit and spread it apart and reach in for the coin... doesn't always work but a slit is not a hole ;)

Last edited:

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mason...if you're leery about door knocking, you might get a few good leads on locations to go from your local Librarian or someone at the local Historical Society. They may be able to steer you to places like old campgrounds, fairgrounds, locations of long-gone schools and churches, etc. Also, if you have computer access, hit www.historicmapworks.com. You're bound to find something in your area. Good luck! 😁

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions