Any Ideas Where to Start?

phillipofnc

Dec 20, 2003
Looking for a pointer or two. I received permission finally to hunt a site I wanted to try. There are twent six acres of land. Some wetlands on a small creek. The house was built in 1910. Sheds and such on the property. The house is 3000+ sq. feet. So I figure someone to buiold this home in 1910 may have been well off? So where would you guys start is my question. I am going at lunch the next few days just to try it out. Then hope Friday to put some more time in. Thanks for any thoughts. This is my first true pick a site get permission and hunt. Most of my other hunts have been public property.

Upvote 0

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
You mentioned outbuildings..check the chicken coop if it is close to the house, loose or fake fence posts. Also check around the foundation, possible old cloths line area, swing in a tree area and the path to the privy.Since it doesn't sound like the property is vacant it might be difficult to get ino the outbuildings for hidden cache or relics.

Good Luck. Before the day is over you will have 50 different places to look.
Dave

OP
OP
P

phillipofnc

Dec 20, 2003
The house is vacant. It is on land planned for a subdivision. The future of the house I don't know. Thanks for the advice. I used an online data service and saw there were other structures. I have no idea what yet. The house is on the main road but it has not been hunted yet to my knowledge. I hope it will keep me busy for a long time. At least until they start to build. Then I hope it is still accessible to me.

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
i would check around the usual spots such as any large trees? where would the transportation be parked and hunt there.any walkway.look for possible clothesline area.open area for the outdoor get togethers.have fun and let us know! :)

bigrig

C

cachenut

places to find coins.

along pathways and ingress.

front door
side door
back door
where they got out of car or off horse.
hitching post?
along walkways.
under close lines.
at garage doors
next to garage
next to house
under big old trees.
next to any structure.
next to lawn chairs.
next to and in driveway.
everywhere around house.

if you search for 1 hour and don't find any coins. oops it has been hit already but don't give up. there are always a few more there.

caches

dirt basement
inside barn floor.
inside shed floor
inside outbuilding floor
next to something. building, fence line, clotherslinepoles, stone wall, old tree, house

caches were meant to be visited again and again for deposits and withdrawls. so not deep. liked to be within sight of house but hidden from others including house. so inside barn in dirt floor.
isolated but easy to watch from house.

odd places.
remote but close. hidden but easy to watch. like places to hide from wife. make sense?
in dirt floor under hay feeder. in dirt floor under loose floor boards. buried but not deep and covered.

OP
OP
P

phillipofnc

Dec 20, 2003
Spent one hour today

I did a lot of looking. The house is about to be moved soon. About fifty feet back and put on a new foundation. I saw an old clothsline leaning on the house. I did not see where it was. The are two old sheds along with a shelter. There are bottles not real old. Some other items did not go through it much. I received permission to MD and hunt next fall I hope. Just about rather MD though. Well I found three pieces of a wind chime. Showed up as coins on CZ5 but were not. There are a lot of bottle caps and trash. There is a cool stone wall but to my suprise no hits. There are a few old houses grown up across a field. Looking at those tomm. There is an old pump house and a few other places. I think when they move the house I want to try there under it. As we talked today, the owner he said I think you should find something. I said I had researched the area and that the house was 1910 and he said his home was on a site from the 1880's and maybe I would find something there. So I really either am lucky to find sites that are dry or still learning. Still learning. I will take a few pics tomm. Thanks HH

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Have not read that any one mentioned searching (MD) around fence post or cornors of buildings. If your building is still standing look outside of the kitchen window or if not try to find a location where the kitchen would be. A lot of old timers did not trust banks and hid their cash some place where they could watch it with out detection. Most of them would sit a the kitchen table and drink coffee and look at this spot without causing suspiction from the neibhors or others.
Good luck in your quest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread