broken metal detector fixable?

rcuya

Apr 29, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites classic III
This weekend when I was metal detecting I turned my metal detector (White's Classic III) off to dig a target and when I went to turned it one it didn't turn on. It normal beeps when you turn it on and it didn't. I think that the on/off knob is broken. Is my metal detector fixable and if so where can I get it fixed?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send it into Whites, you can get their repair locations from their website. Many times they will fix one for free if part was defective, you just pay for the shipping.

Good luck.

TH

OP
OP
R

rcuya

Apr 29, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites classic III
Thanks. Do I just take it apart and send it in the box it came in? Also do I send in everything coil, batteries, etc.?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know your unit, I would just call or email their repair store and ask them. I have sent in one Whites unit, but it was the BHID and the coil was not changeable. I sent the entire unit minus batteries, insured.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you send it off, check the batteries and the holder for a good connection. If it still won't power up, send the controls, coil in good box to the repair location nearest you. Be sure to include a note telling the Tech what is wrong and include your name, address, phone #, and email address. They will contact you.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
rcuya said:
This weekend when I was metal detecting I turned my metal detector (White's Classic III) off to dig a target and when I went to turned it one it didn't turn on. It normal beeps when you turn it on and it didn't. I think that the on/off knob is broken. Is my metal detector fixable and if so where can I get it fixed?

I just had an older MD given to me that had been exposed to heat in a house fire. It seemed to work at first judging by the indications on the meter, but had no audio. Then it stopped working at all and I thought it might be toast, (no pun intended). But today I fiddled with the cable to the coil and it responded with a BEEP! Now everything works on it. Seems that that was the problem all along, so I'll be replacing the cable. No warranty. I doubt that whats left of the Compass company, would still honor one.

Might be worth checking your cable, but if its under warranty, then they will likely test for that.

F.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread