minelab 305

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I got a minelab 305, been using a compadre. I took it out to an old part of a park that has been searched numerous times, It is full of trash and I am just getting used to the tones and numbers. I found a silver dime about 10 inches down at this park, but the signal was extremely faint and the numbers kept at 32/40 area. But I am wondering, if the signal is faint and quiet, does that mean the target is deeper? I kept getting a lot of small faint hits with depth showing five arrows but I didn't dig them because I could never get a pin point on them. So far the machine has confused me and any insight or tips would be awesome

Thanks

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Faint signals are usually either deep or small.

OP
OP
AndyE89

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured this was the case. I am wondering also why I can't pin point most of the deeper targets. Is it because they are deep that makes pinpointing so difficult. I really struggled in the silver dime. I knew I could hear a good high tone but the pinpoint took me a few minutes to get it to lock in.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes a deep faint target is hard to pinpoint. Try swinging at 90 degrees to the target and watch the spot on the ground where you are picking up the tone. X marks the spot! After you dig a lot of targets it will come natural to you, just takes practice. Good luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Faint signals are usually either deep or small.
Or they could be false readings if the sensitivity is set too high. False readings won't pin point.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you move coil over to the side of target area before hitting pinpoint button. This can be a bit tricky if there are tons of disc'd out trash around and you don't know you are over other pieces of junk when you hit pp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread