Benhuntn

Greenie
Jul 31, 2015
Charles County, Md
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am 3 months into learning MD. I am using an AT pro and on several occasions I have passed over a target and received a different reading on each pass. Sometimes they will jump from 45 up to 85 in just two or three passes. I run my detector in Pro, Zero, iron disarm. at 35. I have ground balanced and now I am trying to figure out what I am digging. The problem is I often PP the target and it is 2-4" down but when I dig it is not there. The area I am detecting doesn't want me digging any deeper than that and I am respecting their wish so I can continue to go back. Is my issue that the item is really deeper or that there are multiple targets? Any advice on what I can do to be more accurate or understanding what it is telling me would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be both. You need to go to an area where you can retrieve your targets and learn your machine first. Could be deep iron, could be multiple targets, could be sensitivity up too high, could be EMI in the area. Could be a lot of things.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check to make sure your wire from coil to machine is secure, [not bouncing around when you swing] and your plug is screwed all the way in :icon_thumleft:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kinda curious as to why they don't want you going more than 4" down? After you have the plug already cut, it's just a matter of a bit more dirt. What's the issue with depth? :icon_scratch:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PM me i can probbaly help u!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The depth reading on your Atp is for a coin size object. If it's on its side or bigger or smaller it will throw it off. I pay little attention to it. With experience you will learn to judge the size and depth of your target by sound. For know dig it all and take note

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's a corroded/rusty object, it will create a halo around the object... so lets say it's a corroded penny that is 8" deep, but the halo of corrosion around the penny is a sphere reaching up to 4" . You dig to 4" and break the halo... you don't find anything... you sweep again and now it's gone, deeper, or smaller than it said before. It's actually there, but it's really at 8" not 4"... and it's small, not big.

Also corroded objects will bounce around more than normal. I have pulled quarters from the beach which sounded like a bottle cap with a strong iron sound.

Also, I don't use the pin point mode to pinpoint... I only use it to see how big the target actually is. Then I pinpoint by doing the normal sweep but in two directions like an X or a + over the target to find where it actually is.

Last edited:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kinda hard not being there but sounds like large deep iron to me..

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also deep small targets will bounce around because it's at the limit of the detectors range for discrimination... as you uncover it, the readings will usually become more accurate.

OP
OP
B

Benhuntn

Greenie
Jul 31, 2015
Charles County, Md
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great tips thanks I never thought of adjusting the sensitivity. Knowing about all these other items will help. My plan is to show them that I have don no damage to the grounds and get permission to dig deeper. For now their concern is messing up the park. I must admit this park was once a junkyard and the corroded metal is probably a big part of my issues. I really appreciate the help.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great tips thanks I never thought of adjusting the sensitivity. Knowing about all these other items will help. My plan is to show them that I have don no damage to the grounds and get permission to dig deeper. For now their concern is messing up the park. I must admit this park was once a junkyard and the corroded metal is probably a big part of my issues. I really appreciate the help.

Once a junkyard? I'd run away from that one... or turn sensitivity waaaaaaay down. Can slaw will make you crazy.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try rasing the coil as you go over the target. If it is big you will still get a hit as you continually raise it up. Also when you try from different angles and the readings change its probably a bad target. If you change angles and the target seems to move then you are getting a shadow read from either an iron object or large target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread