AT Pro? Truth

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a bad detector, my "partner in crime" uses one and does well. If you have a dealer nearby see if you get your hands on it a try it, or people in your area. If it has characteristics you want in a machine go for it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The AT Pro is a great detector and I found 2 gold rings and a sterling and Turquoise ring as well as silver coins with the one I had. The only issue I had with it was that it was too front end heavy for me and felt unbalanced. I would purchase one again but would put it on a straight shaft. Others have no problems in this regard. The AT Pro is a great mid entry machine.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every detector will take some time to get to know. I personally want to get the Pro. I have played with one and fell in love. please don't tell my wife.......8-)

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own an ATP and really like it. I had it with me when I lived in St Thomas USVI for seven months and found 10 gold rings, 6 silver rings and 1 heavy platinum ring. So it has "paid" for itself. All rings were found in the water. I would not classify the ATP as a bad detector at all.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased an AT PRO a couple of weeks ago. I am very happy with it. I am a relative newbie to the hobby and used to use a Titan 3000xd. I found things with it but the AT is twice as good and of course twice the price. I purchased the 5 X 8 coil as a result of so many owners of the AT suggesting it. And they were right. Lot easier to separate targets and work tight area's with that coil. That's my 2 cents. Just depends what you want to use it for, and budget. HH

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
My hunting buddy uses the AT Pro. He loves it and does well with it. I personally don't like that it's not back lit and doesn't use a 1/4" headphone socket. Being waterproof to 10' is a really nice feature especially for cleanup, just take the garden house to it. I think for the price range it's a very good detector. With that said, I just ordered a Fisher F44 instead of an AT Pro.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a good machine, I found my first silver coin and first gold ring with mine. Perfectly good machine!

The deal is: The more you spend the more machine you get. The real questions is: How much machine do you need?

Deus, Etrac and CTX are IMO, better machines, but they cost more money... two or three times more, do they find two or three times more/better treasure? Probably not, but maybe...

I use a Deus exclusively and really like it.

Whatever you decide, please try to have fun and enjoy the hunt, life is short...

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not a bad detector, my "partner in crime" uses one and does well. If you have a dealer nearby see if you get your hands on it a try it, or people in your area. If it has characteristics you want in a machine go for it.
NOT A BAD DETECTOR? You got high standards, dude!

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a great deal on the ATPro with some help from Kellyco and Treasure_Hunter here on the forum. I have been using a Whites 4000D for a long time and the ATPro is light years ahead of my old machine. My first ATP died on me after a week. I called Garrett and they shipped me a new one that day. Called on Monday evening, got the new machine on Thursday morning. Great service !
I have two friends who own high end Whites machines, both gave over $1300 for them. I can't afford a high end job but I think the ATPro does great for the price and what I use it for. Is it perfect ? No, but it is a great machine for the money.

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you guys do you think the detector is a mid level or...

Perses

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites TRX bullseye Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ATP was my first machine, after a few months I got good with it and talked the same language. Found a lot, gold rings and 1700s reals and everything in between. It is not the deepest machine but under the right conditions 10 inches on a dime is doable. The DD coil leaves the cocentrical coils in the dust. Weight balance is not much of an issue but for long hunts I would suggest bringing a Metal Detector Buddy. Another piece of advice is to buy a spare battery holder, chances are it will fall and break since the plastic is kinda brittle.

I own the Deus now, and if I was to do it all over again, I would not hesitate to get the ATP as my first machine. Very capable, very simple to use, great teacher.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned 6 AT Pros altogether and still own one today. Even though I own an E Trac, F75 and several other detectors, I will always have an AT Pro in my arsenal.

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question why have you owned 6? Lol I get 1 or 2 but six?

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how is your ground. in north ga . is it red clay. because ground got lot do with it

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my at pro for a few months now. Just started detecting this year. I have used an F2, F22, Compadre, Silver Umax, Outlaw and Vaquero. The AT Pro is the best. Not as deep as the Vaquero but the display sure is nice to have for target I'd help. Target id numbers lock on much better then the cheaper Fishers that I used. Don't like the bell tone of the Ace units but the AT Pro in pro mode is a pleasure to use. Especially if you lighten up the machine with a 5x8 coil. Not getting rid of Vaquero yet as sometimes the good stuff is DEEP

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro zero and the 5x8 coil!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you guys do you think the detector is a mid level or...

It's probably just above mid level for land hunting, because there are nicer detectors with GPS and all sorts of other great features but it is a long long way from low end. However, for actually finding stuff the AT Pro is excellent. Pro mode works well, and if you learn the sounds you can identify most objects without looking at the screen. It works great in fresh water and works OK in salt water, not great, but usually still entirely useable depending on where you live (some beaches can't be worked easily with the AT Pro due to black sand). There are certainly better detectors for water hunting but the AT pro is a great all around detector for the money. Many people who upgrade still keep their AT Pro around as a backup or loaner. Adding a little weight to the arm cup will make it balance a little better and reduce arm fatigue.

I'm in Florida and we are mostly sand and soft soil, so those further north in clay may have a different opinion. You will definitely need headphones. I do not recommend the waterproof headphones for the AT Pro. Stick with the land headphones.

I hunt about three times a week with my AT Pro, two of those being in the salt water.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread