Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tell her that you will sign a letter saying that she will not be responsible for any injuries to you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Just tell her that you will sign a letter saying that she will not be responsible for any injuries to you.

Sure. And you will quickly find out that this answer of hers/theirs , ["no d/t liability concerns"] is just the "go-to" answer to justify the no they just gave you. And the real reason is that they would just rather not be bothered.

I have a company which requires me to carry a $1,000,000 liability policy on my own self. So whenever I'd hear that song & dance of "liability concerns" from anyone, I used to gleefully offer this solution, eagerly offering to provide them with a proof of insurance certificate. But they would just get mad and repeat "no".

So I learned the hard way, that most of the time when you hear that, they're just trying to find a polite way to say "no", and could care less about anything to do with liability issues.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line is it's their property and their right to say no...

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This.

I would not let anybody MD my property. I simply do not want them on my property if I do not know them. I get along with strangers no problem...but I like to keep to myself and proudly display my "No trespassing" and "No soliciting" sign out front.

If I do not know you on a personal level...go away...politely of course. My house is not the place for uninvited introductions. I still get knocks by people that do not read the sign...no reason to be jerk about it. I just politely say no thanks.

That being said....I ask all the time to MD private properties. I get mostly yes answers by people that do not share my views on privacy. 7-8 out of 10 are usually a yes.

Hypocritical I suppose...as I ask to hunt others property but do not allow it myself. But I will let Karma work that one out and keep on being a private dude inside my property lines and keep on asking others who are not.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, what is this program? Is it meant for deer hunting or something?

Pretty sure it is for deer hunting and such. I know out here in Colorado the farmers can choose to leave their land open for people to hunt on. There will be a break in the fence for access or whatever. Marked on the yearly hunting maps as well so you know what fields are OK and where the entrance is.

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030, XP Deus, Gold Bug 2, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are absolutely correct. Just sucks to find such a historic spot only to find out there is no way to hunt it. I suppose its common for guys back east, but out here we don't have very many spots period. I thought I had the location spotted on the neighbors field, but it turns out its on this one I can't hunt.

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, the walk in hunting program is for any hunting. They sign up and the state pays them a set rate per acre to allow people in.

S

stefen

Sorry, the walk in hunting program is for any hunting. They sign up and the state pays them a set rate per acre to allow people in.

"The Open Fields and Water Program is a statewide program that focuses to expand hunter and angler access to private lands."

No where in the context of the program's description does it mention access to indulge in metal detecting or other non-hunting or fishing uses.

Therefore the property owners are well within their rights to deny permission to you're request.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
"The Open Fields and Water Program is a statewide program that focuses to expand hunter and angler access to private lands."

No where in the context of the program's description does it mention access to indulge in metal detecting or other non-hunting or fishing uses.

Therefore the property owners are well within their rights to deny permission to you're request.

How about scratching ear ? Whistling dixie ? There is no express allowances for those "non-hunting non-fishing purposes", right ? The point I'm trying to make is:

The same logic has been used to try to say that md'ers need specific express permission to hunt parks. Because, for example, "baseball fields" is for baseball. And "tot lots" are for tots. And picnic grounds are for picnics, etc.. As if to say: The express usage of the location (in the title of said-spot) , is strictly for what it's for. And how DARE you come along and do something different that soccer, or baseball, or picnics , etc...

So in the same way no one would assume that you can't scratch your nose, or make a cellphone call while hunting, so too do I wonder why md'ing is put into such an "evil camp" of inherently wrong or dangerous or wrong-ness ? I happen to consider md'ing as innocuous as other ancillary things that don't get questioned. :)

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The deal is dead. The deadly words were "she talked to her attorney".

OP
OP
jagchaser

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats not what I meant. I suppose some people call metal detecting hunting. I don't, hunting is done with a gun and a hunting license.

Edit: Or a bow! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread