I Am So Lost....

kreadman

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need Help With First Detector

I am looking to purchase my first MD and the more I research the more lost I get. I started out looking at the F2, Compadre and Ace 150. I wanted to stay around $150-200ish. I like the compadre for it's simplicity but don't like that there's no sensitivity control.

As I've reasearced further I've seen people discuss the Eurotek pro, the Silver umax and various bounty hunter products. Actually the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger is now $188 on Amazon and appears to be spec'd out.

I definitely want to do coin shooting but would like to eventiually get into relic hunting. Any guidance would be appreciated. Right now really thinking about the F2, Compadre and the Time Ranger. I realize there's a big difference in the specs between F2/Compadre and the Time ranger but given the price I didn't know if it might not make sense to get the time ranger.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would also agree buy used if possible. If it turns out to not be your cup of tea, you can resell it for about what you paid. Yes there are used f2's,( and anything else you could imagine). Having a 5 year warranty on a machine that you may grow out of or sell in the near future isn't a big issue. One word of caution here. If you shop Ebay be sure to factor in the shipping cost. New machines usually come with free shipping. If the price of the used unit including shipping is close to the price of a new unit, buy new. Businesses get a major break in shipping costs. A single individual shipping pays top dollar. I try to pay no more in total than 70% of what new would cost.
I would also second the idea of a good pinpointer with the money you saved. The pin pointer feature of most detectors will get you within say 4" of the object. if it is near the surface, (as a lot of coins are), a pinpointer will tell you exactly the place it is under. Watch You tube videos. All the pro's use them, not because they are not good with their detector. It just makes things so much easier.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I suggest you buy new and from a dealer. You dont get burnt that way. While a Bounty Hunter is a good machine to start with, you will always wonder if your walking over targets. I suggest the AT Pro, you can grow with it. The T2 is also a good price and that one will take time to learn but will never go out of style. Depth is over rated. Dont believe the hype. Look at what folks are using here. Good Luck.

TOM T.1956

Nov 25, 2015
Easthampton,Mass.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand your dilemma, however you might want to check out the ACE 250, or the Bounty Hunter land ranger pro. I have owned many detectors over the years and I am quite satisfied with the Bounty Hunter Pro ($250+) but well worth it, check out the Kellyco site.
Good hunting! Tom

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're starting too low brother. You're going to love this hobby and want to upgrade as soon as you hit that 100 hour mark. Especially with that xp deuss staring at you in every Google ad

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Something that not many point out, but probably is one of the most important. Metal detecting is physically demanding. You may be all excited about making discoveries, but that next day will tell you whether you can physically keep doing it. Remember you have to dig to find. You can easily dig 40, 50, 100, or more holes in a day, and it's work. But, this is a strange sport, because you can dig for hours and not find anything, and then you do find that one special item, it will make it all worth while, and you will be addicted. Keep to your budget at first, and if you find you like it, Get an ATPRO. Sorry gang, had to throw that in there!:laughing7:

Good Luck to ya!!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a land machine used... craigslist is great for this. A water machine on the other hand, (aside from the AT Pro) I would definitely buy new.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me, I'd go for the Compadre. I also imagine there's a trim pot inside for sensitivity adjustment, but probably wouldn't fool with it until you've used it for a good 6 months. If you're "handy", fix it so you can swap coils. Did it to mine, of course voids the warranty, but I wasn't concerned about it. Don't think you'll hear too many complaints on the Compadre.

Another consideration would be the area you live/detect, and how mineralized the soil is. You may want a machine that can be ground-balanced. Regardless of what you buy now, you'll end-up getting a 2nd detector/upgrade in the future.

Sensitivity potentiometer is in the red box.
Two versionsa of the Compadre.
Marvin
addon.php

addon.php

OP
OP
K

kreadman

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to thank everyone for there reply's. Your knowledge and willingness to share is really appreciated. I haven't made any decisions as of yet but your feedback has helped give me direction. I can't wait to get started. I have to wait until Christmas because I bought my son a bounty hunter IV and my 6 y.o. daughter a bounty hunter junior. So, I have a couple weeks to figure things out yet.

Thanks again. THis is a great forum. Thanks for welcoming me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread