Is this a good deal?

Murphy

Nov 28, 2015
South Carolina
Haven't been detecting since I was a kid but I'm looking at getting back into it and getting my own kids involved. Been reading quite a few post and have pretty much decided on a AT Pro. I'm basically a newbie since its been so long since I last detected but I don't want the beginner equipment. I want to make sure I will be satisfied with what I have for many years to come. My question does this seem like a good deal? Or would I be better off buying separate? Thanks for the input. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013GX88ME

Upvote 0

OU812

Nov 19, 2014
Hello,
Steve here, I'm going through the same thing too except this is my first time buying one. I did the same too researching and trying to figure out all the craziness that goes into finding one,
That is a decent price,
Is dependable and does what it claims to do too lol
Especially when we're going out out a significant amount of $$$
It looks like a good package,
Cause I want get the At Pro
Gold detector and for the same price, I don't get the pointer,digger.
So that's a good perk.

If your like me and tend to over think it, lol it gets worse
My concern is that for the money being spent, will it do what it says and hopefully more.

I know you spend thousands on high high ended ones but,
I figure $800 to a $1000
Is pretty significant too.

If go on YouTube and check out, the At pro it seems to be a over all good detector,
That's how I decided on my At Pro gold.

I hope my rambling was some help lol

Have a good one.
Steve/OU812

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a big fan of the AT Pro for many reasons. The Garrett Carrot is the best thing in the package. ATP is very chatty near black sand.

OP
OP
Murphy

Murphy

Nov 28, 2015
South Carolina
Thanks.. Yes I overthink everything and your right it usually makes it worse and costing me more $$$ than I need to spend..LOL Won't be getting it until Christmas since it will be for me and the kids. I will defiantly let you know what I decide on... Thanks

OP
OP
Murphy

Murphy

Nov 28, 2015
South Carolina
I am not a big fan of the AT Pro for many reasons. The Garrett Carrot is the best thing in the package. ATP is very chatty near black sand.
Thanks Sandman for the input.. I live in red clay so black sand won't be an issue.. any other reason your not a fan of it?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
We see a lot of posts with people seeking advice on their very first detector choice.

One thing we do not see is questioning of just where the new users are going to search. Are your local parks open to detecting? Are you too shy to knock on doors asking permission? Just where the heck are you going to use it at? Will you devote the time needed to get the hang of it?

The reason I bring this up is that there's likely a high percentage of detector owners whose machines sit in a dark closet never seeing the light of day.

$800 is quite a bit of money to be just throwing in the closet.

OP
OP
Murphy

Murphy

Nov 28, 2015
South Carolina
We see a lot of posts with people seeking advice on their very first detector choice.

One thing we do not see is questioning of just where the new users are going to search. Are your local parks open to detecting? Are you too shy to knock on doors asking permission? Just where the heck are you going to use it at? Will you devote the time needed to get the hang of it?
Good point... I have quite a bit of land that had old home sites dating back to the 1800's, other old home sites that I will have permission to search, creeks and rivers. Lots of Civil war era homes and land nearby.
The reason I bring this up is that there's likely a high percentage of detector owners whose machines sit in a dark closet never seeing the light of day.

$800 is quite a bit of money to be just throwing in the closet.
Good point.. I will be searching mostly rural places.. Old home sites.. Fields, creeks, rivers. I live on land that had homesites dating back to the 1800's

S

stefen

You might think about getting an Ace 350 (or equal) and use it for a while.

If MD'ing is whats its about, then upgrade to an AT Pro level and sell the Ace 350 and recoupe maybe 50% of your initial investment.

Therefore, if MD'ing is a tosser, you can get out inexpensively.

At this moment you may elect to hunt parks and yards, and eventually evolve to another level...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I owned an AT Pro I found two gold rings, several silver coins and wheat pennies all in my backyard when I first bought it.
The ATP is a bit chatty but can be adjusted in certain terrain. The one place I didn't care for it was at the beach as the beaches here in So Cal are quite trashy with our pull tab heritage under the sand.
But once you learn what it's telling you it's a pretty decent machine. On the plus side you can always sell it for 75% of what you paid for it. I'm not sure the AT Gold will be as easy to sell as the AT Pro.
Best of luck!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Good point.. I will be searching mostly rural places.. Old home sites.. Fields, creeks, rivers. I live on land that had homesites dating back to the 1800's

Good deal, you already have a plan.

Don't plan on "paying" for your detector with your finds. Plan on the enjoyment factor, the delight of good finds.

However, always knowing that there is always the possibility of a find making sure you are hooked and paid for.

Don't get on the merry-go-round of constantly upgrading to new or "better" machines. Me personally, my first really great detector was a Garrett. But I see the ATP as kinda limited. I'll get jumped on for that statement, but it's all in one's focus & enjoyment. I enjoy the sounds, stated here many times. Bong, Bong, Bong doesn't please me - whispers do.

Plan on digging pull tabs and bottle tops, as those signals share the good sounds of gold rings....

OP
OP
Murphy

Murphy

Nov 28, 2015
South Carolina
Good deal, you already have a plan.

Don't plan on "paying" for your detector with your finds. Plan on the enjoyment factor, the delight of good finds.

However, always knowing that there is always the possibility of a find making sure you are hooked and paid for.

Don't get on the merry-go-round of constantly upgrading to new or "better" machines. Me personally, my first really great detector was a Garrett. But I see the ATP as kinda limited. I'll get jumped on for that statement, but it's all in one's focus & enjoyment. I enjoy the sounds, stated here many times. Bong, Bong, Bong doesn't please me - whispers do.

Plan on digging pull tabs and bottle tops, as those signals share the good sounds of gold rings....
I can see where bong bong bong would get annoying, so which one in this price range would you recommend that's quiet as you say?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please look at the Teknetics Classic T2. It will compete with the big dogs and the price was reduced to $499. The price was reduced from over $800. Also you should watch some videos on this detector.. Awesome Detector for the price with plenty of other coils available.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
boy oh boy....all the new mid priced machines are darn good.I now swing an at pro and am very happy.I would also be happy with others in the price range.watch some youtube videos on your short list machines and go from there.call one of our supporting vendors(they are in classifieds here)and simply talk to them about your expectations.noone is going to beat them up on pricing,I know this.they cant even publically state what they can arrange for you.

if you go with at pro ask them if they will swap out the stock coil for a 5x8...it works great and wife and kids can swing it with ease.most of us atp users have that coil and highly recomend it.

good luck and let us know !!

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The machine itself sells for about $170 cheaper on Ebay, (with head phones). If the accessories are the ones that you want it is a good deal. The pinpointer goes for about $130, the digger about $35. The coil cover is a good thing to have and they go for about $10. If you like other pinpointers Like Whites TRX and cheap home depot garden shovels modified with a file like me, the deal loses it's value. As far as the soft carry case, I never use them. I go to Salvation Army, Saint Vincent etc and buy a suitcase for about $6. Breaking down the detector to fit is easier for me than carrying around a 5' long object. I also use a flea market tool pouch and a hat with a brim to keep the sun off my ears.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I can see where bong bong bong would get annoying, so which one in this price range would you recommend that's quiet as you say?

What would I recommend?

Well, you can pick up a used E-Trac for around $800. Odds are the thing will drive you crazy = VERY HIGH learning curve = it'll stay in that dark closet.

For you coming back into the hobby, you really do need to turn on and go - THEREFORE..... Drum roll.....

Go with the AT Pro. At least later you can switch to the pro mode.

A point to make in addition to this is the package deals. Dealers tend to throw in quantity versus quality so the package is larger. You'd end up buying a different digger following your first hunt. I have one of the Kellyco diggers over in the woods somewhere after the thing bent the first time I cut the sod with it. You don't need patches & ball caps. The apron would kinda be okay but you'd outgrow that very quickly.

Don't get blinded by the package deals thinking it really is sweetening the deal. You're still going to upgrade a lot of the miscellaneous items after you settle into your new hobby. We all do.

OU812

Nov 19, 2014
Well I live on the coastline of,
Saint John New Brunswick,
Canada,

Beaches,farmlands,
Lots of woodlands and
Homesteads too,
So I thought the At Pro Gold
Might have been a good choice for this type of Metal Detector.

Any advice?

Last edited:

CaptjimUP

Oct 17, 2015
Chassell, MI
Detector(s) used
Garret Grand Master Hunter CXIII
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with the AT Pro diggers package and bought the carrot separately. I do wear the hat but I always wear hats so that was a bonus. I also use the pouch and attach my pin pointer to it works great. The case is a good place to keep everything together and store it. As far as the detector itself I really like it but I've always used Garrett's so the learning curve wasn't that large. The fact it can get wet is a big bonus and being able to detect in water just adds that much more area. Their customer service is also second to none which was a big factor for myself. I am happy with my purchase and I'm sure you'd be too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions