To dig or not to dig- lets talk signals.

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only been detecting since September. Mostly in my yard, but have ventured out to some local spots now that I am comfortable. I have found over 100 coins, several very old, 3 silver.

My preferred method so far is to only dig clean signals that I am positive is a coin-

I do the normal search swing. If I hear a high tone, I go back and forth over the spot and see if it repeats the high tone. I watch to see if it is consistent in both directions- bing left, bing right, bing left.. if it only bings in one direction, but bongs in the other, I move on with the general search. So- bing bing bing bing good- bing bong bing bong bad.

If the target goes bing bing bing from the side to side, I then turn 90 degrees and see how it sounds. If it still bing bing bing- now I dig. If the sound changes to bloop bloop bloop, I leave. Should I? Should I still be digging any bing bing bing if it is consistent from only 1 angle? :icon_scratch:

I also watched a Youtube video last night where the guy dug what I would would not have, and he did indeed find a coin. I am starting the video at the time I am talking about- https://youtu.be/h_qDJb9rlRU?t=381

Soo- thoughts? What signals do you guys dig? Any links to video showing examples is helpful as well.

Upvote 0

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if i'm in a area that i know holds relics i dig every target with a good tone.
last week i was detecting our local fairground.
a dump truck would not hold the pull tabs this place holds lol.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if i'm in a area that i know holds relics i dig every target with a good tone.
last week i was detecting our local fairground.
a dump truck would not hold the pull tabs this place holds lol.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending on the site and what i feel like targeting that day. Sometimes I feel like i want that IHC, so i dig every signal in the 65-80 range along with all other good signals. If im thinking Im due for my first go ring, I dig those 40s signals that repeat... It all depends on how Im feeling that day... lol Why limit yourself in this hobby?

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what kind of detector you have, but I have a garret at pro, and I those bing bong signals are almost always coins on my machine. They're indicative of coins typically deeper than 6", which makes them typically older and better. Dig those all day if they're coin sized targets and not too jumpy. Meaning dropping 40 points on your vdi, and five octaves in your ear. But even those signals sometimes will surprise. Lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread