Search area--mental institution?

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are abandoned mental institutions good places to detect?--specifically the grounds or grassy areas? I've never tried but have thought about it if I could find one. Maybe someone out there has experience with it. Has anybody ever MD'd Willowbrook on Staten Island? Thanx to all who respond.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The patients probably didn't have anything of value to loose....but probably visitors and staff might have taken a break or picnic on the grass and lost valuables.

Regards + HH

Bill

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mental institution probably means plenty of unruly patients flailing about with angry outbursts and such......hopefully outside.

Surely a doctor or nurse had to help subdue a patient and got knocked around a bit....some old medical equipment very well could have been dropped. Old syringe...old scopes...who knows.

I'd search it just for the hell of it....old medical stuff is rad.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd be inclined to research what the building and property were used for prior to the institution. It may not have been its original purpose. Outside of that, if you can gain permission, hunt it. What have you got to lose?

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only if they hosted annual fund raisers, carnival - festival, etc.

I hunted a very old County home, 150 yrs+ and it was a total waste of time. GL

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we have a old institution in our area. it dates back to the early 1800.
im not sure how long it was open. but there has been some fantastic relics dug there.
you would be crazy not to give it a try lol. Good luck

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd have to be crazy to search a mental institution!! :tongue3::tongue3::tongue3:

No seriously around parking areas well used paths going from the parking area or road up to the entrance would be a good place to start testing. might be an excellent place since it's probably been passed over by everyone else. Don't forget benches or places where they were, might be some good pocket spills!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Crappies....you left yourself wide open on that one!! "What have you got to lose?"....here it comes....drum roll please....your sanity!!:laughing7:
I'd be inclined to research what the building and property were used for prior to the institution. It may not have been its original purpose. Outside of that, if you can gain permission, hunt it. What have you got to lose?

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh Crappies....you left yourself wide open on that one!! "What have you got to lose?"....here it comes....drum roll please....your sanity!!:laughing7:

LOL, been there, done that, got the T-shirt :thumbsup:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
probably find lots of lost marbles and loose screws.

In all seriousness, would probably be worth it, though if it existed into the era of iv antipsychotic meds (50s) there would be a risk of discarded hypodermics...maybe no more so than an urban park though.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From my experience working with mental patients (real ones, not just co-workers)...... it's unlikely that the patients carried any coins; there would be nothing to spend them on. Also unlikely to see any syringes or any type of sharp metal objects. Anything that could be used as a weapon against others or for self harm is very tightly controlled. Patients who were violent or suicidal would remain in the facility 24/7, but others may have been allowed out on the facility grounds for picnics and other activities with visitors and staff. Look for areas that may have been designated for recreation. Things you're likely to find: coins from staff and visitors, medical insignia from staff, religious items from patients. Should be some interesting hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions