First encounter with park ranger

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yodels.

Stopped at a local park on the way home to hit an area not yet hit.
First 15mins and had a Gentleman walk by and ask what i'm finding..."coins and trash" I respond with a smile.
He smirks and then mentions how many nails and sharp objects he see's in the park and worries about the kids.
I told him I have picked up many a sharp items in sand areas and grass/bark covered areas and it is
part of my hunting, to pick up trash I dig up or even laying on the surface.
"Good to hear and good luck too" he says as he carries on.
So another 10 mins. go by. it's getting dark and I have my headlamp on while I'm down digging and
I get a tap on the shoulder. I look up to see a Park Ranger looking down on me.

Now I am in an area of the park that is a new Drought tolerant portion of the park.
These are large areas in all the local parks, that aren't used much so they get covered in bark.
And no need to water.

So I stand up to greet the ranger.
Very nice but right out of the gate, says that "Metal detecting or anything that disturbs flora and fauna in city parks is not aloud" But they immediately followed up with"But since you are in the bark covered areas, I don't see any problem with it"..."That may not hold true for another Ranger if they see you, but just so you know".

I said thanks and mentioned that is exactly why I was in that area.
A little more chit chat and I also brought up how I have looked pretty extensively into our park regulations and found nothing about metal detecting, allowed or not allowed.
They came back with that even though it doesn't say "Metal detecting" per-say, that type of activity falls under the Disturbing of Flora and fauna, there-by restricting it's use.
(except baseball and football and soccer which destroys the grass - not said but thought about it).

So I left it at that. Thank them for being cool, and went on for another 20min or so til it was full dark and time to go.

Interesting encounter.
Guess I'm on the radar now too.

Cheers

G

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in N. Mississippi, we have a huge lake with beaches for swimming, boating etc., It's on the ACoE Corp. property.
What I don't understand, is why we can't metal detect on the beaches.
I'm told No Digging....but kids dig in the sand making sand castles...What gives??

Who told you that? Did you research the COE rules?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband told me that. Then I asked the guy at the gate to the beach, and he told me it wasn't allowed.

Guess what, the guy at the gate most likely doesn;t know squat, and is a temp summer hire. RESEARCH THE RULES! I did for your area, it doesnt take long to do a google search.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread