PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok....I finally got a permission from the state park down the road from me. I was actually a bit surprised since there's historical significance to the park, I didn't think they'd want detectors there. But it's allowed none the less. Here's the email back to me

Metal detecting is allowed in the park. Shovels, spades, garden trowels, and other similar tools may not be used to dig into or turn over ground areas that are covered by turf, vegetation, shrubs, or trees. Permissible digging tools are screwdrivers, ice picks, and other similar narrow pronged devices. Any objects you find that may be of historical significance should be taken to the park office

My question is.... how do you dig with a screwdriver? I would think that makes a bigger mess than digging a nice little plug. Any tips on doing this? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a careful reading tells me that altered screwdrivers are not banned

maybe weld about six screwdrivers together about a half inch apart

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd use a large gasket scraper, they resemble a screwdriver.

th.jpg

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A flat head screwdriver was my first digging tool and works pretty well if you are just coin popping. For some reason people are more likely to let you dig if you 'say' you dig with a screw driver. In their minds it's the smallest tool that has the least potential for damage, they don't know a dirt plug from a hair plug most of the time.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I am in the park, I leave the shovel in the truck. Big tools conjure up thoughts of big messes. So I cut plugs with a garden trowel the same size as a shovel, and everybody seems happy.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....or just cut about a 4" slit above the target and pop it out with your screwdriver:thumbsup: I've used that method a lot and it works good!!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I visit Ridley Creek State Park I take my screwdriver which I use at all sites for targets that are 3" or less, just google "Coin Popping" and you can watch several videos that demonstrate different techniques. I also take my lesche, the screwdriver won't stay in the sheath without the lesche to hold it in :laughing7:.. If i am in the woods or no one is around and the target is good, I will cut a U shaped plug but will not go after anything that would require much more digging that the plug to be flipped out.
That letter is word for word what is issued at Ridley Creek, but I suppose that is the stock letter for all PA parks and maybe others.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is.... how do you dig with a screwdriver? I would think that makes a bigger mess than digging a nice little plug. Any tips on doing this? Thanks!

I have been using that method for 9 years. I cut a slit in the sod, use pinpointer to isolate the target then use a tiny digger that is 7/8" wide to recover target....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the key thing is to leave no damage to the turf areas ..don't damage the grassy areas ..you got a rare chance --don't mess it up by being careless

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a good video a couple of years back and kept the link to give to a friend. Still had it so sharing again. Shows both coin popping for shallow targets and the slit method for deeper targets in sod. Good low impact detecting demonstration.

Don

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I am in the park, I leave the shovel in the truck. Big tools conjure up thoughts of big messes. So I cut plugs with a garden trowel the same size as a shovel, and everybody seems happy.

Danny, while your experience is well appreciated, the original post stated specifically that a garden trowel was one of the forbidden tools in this users park permission. Something smaller, less visible, seems more appropriate. The gasket scraper as mentioned above may be a good choice.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would love to see someone dig a plug with a ice pick lol

OP
OP
P

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, that video was great. I will sacrifice my yard to the practice process before I hit the state park.

Sent from my N800 using Tapatalk

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
actually, the BEST Non conventional digging tool is a sturdy butter knife... It is perfect for digging small plugs in grass or any else, I use it to pop up coins or near surface targets.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a screwdriver handle with a brass rod inserted and glued into the handle Rod is 7" long and rounded on the end so it won't damage coins. I use it to probe the target gently. Then cut a short slit in the grass and use my tape covered flat blade SD to pry it out. You can also use very long nose needle nose pliers with the jaws covered in tape to retrieve it.
Marvin
31LNODFdY1L.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Any objects you find that may be of historical significance should be taken to the park office ....

PA jim, I'll leave the digging part of your question up to the great answers you've gotten so far. But am curious what you're going to do with the part of their answer quoted above ? Like if you find a 1916D mercury dime, or a valuable CW buckle, etc... , do you consider those objects of "historical significance" that you'll turn in ?

I have a feeling if you were to ask them the "pressing question" of:

"how is a item of "historical significance defined?"

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that this would be their answer: "object/coins over 50 yrs. old". Ok, so do you plan to turn in all old coins ? Sorry, just being a rabble-rouser here , ha!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All in all, no matter what tools you use or don't use, the first tool should be a copy of the e-mail giving you permission. You never know when you're going to run into the one Ranger that didn't get the memo. A contact number for the person who responded to you so the ranger can talk directly to them and you can be on your way quickly & efficiently.

OP
OP
P

PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I play by the rules...I will probably send a report of what was found and ask them if they want anything. To me it's more the thrill of the hunt. I've never seen a ranger at this park, doesn't mean it doesn't happen... but have never seen anyone walking around. I will have a copy of the permission I was given in writing with me.

If I find a thousand dollar artifact or a million dollars in gold??? Rules are rules, I'd still report it. No amount of money is worth jail time/court fees to me. Have a lovely wife and kids that are the real treasure in my house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread