California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today, I had my SECOND good day at the park, close to home.
I normally walk to the park, but lately, I would have to cross thru
a snowfield, just to reach the little open ground beneath the trees.
...so, I drove there.
I'm glad I did, as it gave me critical time advantage to get as many
good finds in the shortest time possible.

Nine coins in nine targets! They weren't all bunched-up either.
Only two, two-coin-spills out of that.
No trash dug, and all except one were recovered with a coin probe.
in just 1/2hr...! :thumbsup:

The day before, four out of four were coins, all recovered similarly.
...I'm-on-a-roll...!!!

...don't get me wrong, it isn't always that easy to get good stuff there,
as ("someone") hunts there, a LOT! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought a lousy hunt was finding less than 40 coins in a park. Maybe I need an attitude adjustment!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is wild how expectations change over the years. When you first start, finding a quarter or an odd shaped piece of old iron can make you smile and say "Yes!" After a few years on the headphones, and thousands of targets, that quarter just goes straight into the finds pouch without another thought and the junk metal is nothing more than an annoyance.

Now, 45+ years into the hobby – or obsession, I have found hundreds of silver coins, a few pounds of gold, lots of jewelry, and more bullets and relics than I can even remember. But even I have a great white whale that I have chased all these years without finding – Spanish Silver. I have never found a Spanish Reale.

I’ll find one, I KNOW I will. When I do, that will be the Best Day I Ever Had Metal Detecting!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems that you are enjoying yourself, and that is what it is all about. I sometimes get a bit overly concerned with the "finds" part of the hunt, and fail to enjoy myself.

Congrats on the coins, and best of luck to you!

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After 40 plus years of detecting I've gotten to the point where coming home without silver coins or gold jewellery is a bad day. Needles to say i have a heck of a lot of bad days. in fact most of my days are bad days...I envy the folks who get excited just to go detecting regardless of finds. I started in 1980, and believe it or not, on my first hunt i got out of my car at a local roller skating rink and put my detector right down on a hit that turned out to be a '29 Standing Liberty...My first dig ever, after that i was spoiled...But it spoiled me enough to learn to recognize junk signals that might have a good target mixed in because where I live the only old coins left are the ones masked by nearby junk that other folks won't chance to dig.

Best silver day for me was at a swimming pool on top of a hill at the top of a long stairway. Admission was a quarter. We lined up there as kids in the 50's and 60's and waited on the stairs for the pool to open. We got bored and started playing with our quarters losing them over the side of the stairs. Went hunting there in the 80's and couldn't believe it...bing bing bing all hits were silver quarters, ended up with over 12 dollars in silver quarters including Standers and Barbers.

The best clad day I ever had was 17 dollars in clad and over a hundred pennies...Could barely walk the next morning, gettin' way too old for those kind of good days.

Anymore I only hunt on cool wet days in places rumored to be hunted out and dig only the signals i have found to be good targets in the same hole with junk targets. Earlier this week i went to a hunted out park to dig junky/good/junky signals. Found a rusty beer can in the same hole with a '34 Walking Liberty half, after that i went home to rest. I posted a story and pic of the half yesterday if you're is interested...Some folks tell me I just get lucky diggin' junk signals but i saw a bumper sticker once that said..."The harder I work the luckier I get"...I try to remember that after a lot of bad days in row.

...Happy hunting, and just keep on diggin' :-)

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still new enough that a good day is any day I get to go detecting. On a great day, I find silver or gold or an old copper. On a bad day, I'm doing something else wishing that I was swinging.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still new enough that a good day is any day I get to go detecting. On a great day, I find silver or gold or an old copper. On a bad day, I'm doing something else wishing that I was swinging.

I have never found any old copper coins beside a few IH pennies...A large cent would be awesome! I don't think my town is old enough. Here in Southern Indiana we have no battlefields, no ocean beaches, no colonial or early American history, no pioneer trails. no gold bearing streams, etc...Seems like all we Hoosiers can do is grill hamburgers, watch basketball, and apparently see how much aluminum foil and pull tabs we can toss away in one sitting.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found any old copper coins beside a few IH pennies...A large cent would be awesome! I don't think my town is old enough. Here in Southern Indiana we have no battlefields, no ocean beaches, no colonial or early American history, no pioneer trails. no gold bearing streams, etc...Seems like all we Hoosiers can do is grill hamburgers, watch basketball, and apparently see how much aluminum foil and pull tabs we can toss away in one sitting.
You guys must visit Georgia a lot with the pull tab tossing events. LOL Thanks for the chuckle.:occasion14:
Marvin

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't say that I ever had a bad day detecting. It's all good when your out dirt fishing.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't say that I ever had a bad day detecting. It's all good when your out dirt fishing.

Yep! Take a stroll through a couple hallways in a hospital sometime, it'll change ones outlook.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My BEST day was NOT passing up a white metal hit with my Garrett in the mid '90s. in a cornfield in NC. Turned out to be a 5 cent token from a long-gone town named Tyner, NC. from the local area. A close second would be a "coin" minted by prisoners at the Halifax, NC prison farm. Gave it to the warden there. ('94 or so) TTC

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems that you are enjoying yourself, and that is what it is all about. I sometimes get a bit overly concerned with the "finds" part of the hunt, and fail to enjoy myself.

Congrats on the coins, and best of luck to you!

Thanks, I find that EVERY day I metal detect, I really enjoy myself!
No matter the weather conditions, there's always the same goal: To Find Neat and Interesting Stuff!
A great attitude always helps!
Optimism! Share a little of it!
You never know what you're going to find!

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is wild how expectations change over the years. When you first start, finding a quarter or an odd shaped piece of old iron can make you smile and say "Yes!" After a few years on the headphones, and thousands of targets, that quarter just goes straight into the finds pouch without another thought and the junk metal is nothing more than an annoyance.

Now, 45+ years into the hobby — or obsession, I have found hundreds of silver coins, a few pounds of gold, lots of jewelry, and more bullets and relics than I can even remember. But even I have a great white whale that I have chased all these years without finding — Spanish Silver. I have never found a Spanish Reale.

I’ll find one, I KNOW I will. When I do, that will be the Best Day I Ever Had Metal Detecting!

I have goals too, and am waiting for that day I find one also....
I was 10ft away from my hunting partner, who found one a few years ago - so I know it is possible, even in my neck-o-the-woods...!
....but, do I have wait thirty more years, before I find one?! Hope not!
So, Good Luck and Happy Hunting - hope YOU find your dream coin!

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everyday out is better than a day in.

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And I thought a lousy hunt was finding less than 40 coins in a park. Maybe I need an attitude adjustment!

You are RIGHT!
An attitude adjustment ALWAYS precedes each hunt! :laughing7:
Really, have a good attitude, and enjoy the day, whatever happens!
And receive each Find as a GIFT, so no matter how much or how little you finally get,
be grateful for the time you've had, enjoying such a fun hobby....!
The little trinkets we find, are just the icing on the cake! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

So true!
I'm inside, pecking-away at this laptop, telling you I wish I was out at the park (again!),
swingin' my coil!
....hmmmm, I think I will (its still sunny, but COLD!)

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So true!
I'm inside, pecking-away at this laptop, telling you I wish I was out at the park (again!),
swingin' my coil!
....hmmmm, I think I will (its still sunny, but COLD!)

UPDATE!
....within a half-hour of replying to your remark,
I went hunting at the park, and came home with...
a RING!
It is fragment of junk jewelry, probably of a ring, but its significant to me...!
It is a porpoise jumping over an oval of a Tiger's Eye-looking
"stone" setting. Rather pretty, too.
No silver or gold, but a Find! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yeah, up where I live , the history is basically, post-contact period of time, with fur trapper brigades moving thru, wagon trains of emigrants, gold mining, Indian wars...hey, that's enough for me - no complaints here...! :thumbsup:
Yet, a bit of Spanish silver wouldn't be too bad, or a large cent, half cent or a three-cent coin would be nice, too....
I'll take what I get!

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much every time out is good buddy. Except for the time that I walked into a park play set end of an 8x8 wooden beam. Blinked back tears on that little surprise. And the time I was wearing two pair of pants and turtled from a cold howling spring sleet storm. I needed to water the clods and proceeded to wiz all down the front of my pants in the wind. But then that was the day that I carried out a large silver fur trade broach I believe. So I can live with the odd yellow shower and head lumping now and then.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread