Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Audio allows the user to hear
discriminated iron and to alter the detector’s mid-tone signal range. This helps the operator hear
the iron content in flat steel objects like bottle caps and washers that sometimes trick a detector
into reporting them as good targets.

I'm sort of confused by this statement... my understanding of Iron Audio is that it brings the mid tone down into the iron range... so that certain types of iron sound like a mid tone instead of a low iron tone. Wouldn't this only make bottle caps MORE likely to get confused with a good target? By good target perhaps they are referring to only iron objects for relic hunting rather than gold?

What am I missing here... maybe I've been avoiding iron audio for the wrong reasons.

OP
OP
The Dirt Fisherman

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sort of confused by this statement... my understanding of Iron Audio is that it brings the mid tone down into the iron range... so that certain types of iron sound like a mid tone instead of a low iron tone. Wouldn't this only make bottle caps MORE likely to get confused with a good target? By good target perhaps they are referring to only iron objects for relic hunting rather than gold?

What am I missing here... maybe I've been avoiding iron audio for the wrong reasons.

in my experience with iron audio, I can have a midtone (we will say a 77 which is usually a bottlecap) come up as a solid mid tone right? well with iron audio on I can pass over it and hear the grunt of the iron in it which is telling me that the target is not as good as I thought. but if iron audio was off I would have never known until I dug it. that tricked the machine into telling me it was good because I told it not to show iron.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron audio is just a button for instantly "re-notching" all the iron. It helps because you don't have to change modes to hear iron. I use it to help me determine if a questionable signal is in fact iron spiking high. It's a quick check. Press it. Check it. Remove iron audio again. Fantastic button.

Yeah I guess you could use it that way... if you have Iron Disc set at 40. Otherwise when you turn it on anything above the iron disc (lets say it's set at 10) becomes a mid tone, and anything under is a low tone.

I suppose if you are in coin mode it might be useful to enable it briefly to listen for the iron edges of the tone.

I hunt in pro zero so I've never had a use for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread