Dupont Bed Liner and Coils ---

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
I've got too many coils which means too many plastic protective covers for my SE. Needless to say, if you use these things daily as I do it's a constant struggle to keep the coil covers clean on the inside. And, although I've never done it I've read where many people have cracked the covers making the situation even worse. Well anyway, I read the other day about how many of the pros expoxy their loops. It got me to thinking about using bed liner. I went to Walmart and bought Dupont's bed liner product (comes in a pint) along with a small roller and extra roller attachment. Total cost was about $20.00 I've already put three coats on six coils and plan to spread too more coats. I think it will make for a long lasting and durable finish. Those coil covers can now be stored in a box in the cellar where such items belong. :)

GRB

Upvote 0

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I thought of that too but wondered if there was any metal oxides in the mix.I do not know
if the particles would defract the tx/rx signal.

keep us posted on any deviation in pinpoint or depth.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I too have a bunch of coils and ran into the same problem. I used the marine epoxy and it seems to be working out just fine-both in the water and on the land

Attachments

• wot.jpg
    wot.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 375

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I've used both... I started with the epoxy per maxx's suggestion. Later, I heard about the spray on truck liner. I was concerned also that it might screw with the detector's settings. So... I sprayed on a very thick (almost 1/2 inch) layer onto a piece of plywood... then rain my detectors over them.

Didn't do a thing to the tones so I figured that it was ok to spray on. I recently picked up a 15" wot (with the waterproof connectors) for my excalibur... so I sprayed it on. Seems to be great so far.

Oh... and a little tip if you use the spray on liners... get some of the "blue" painter's tape and tape the top of the coil, and a precise line around the outside. When you spray on the liner, peel the tape off before it dries and you get a crisp, professional looking line

steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread