Detector - for sewing needles

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum, and won’t be of much help to you guys, since I know not much about MD. But I am in need of help from you. My request may seem a bit unusual, since most of you probably search for other much more valuable things than sewing needles :).
I need to buy a metal detector for my work as a tailor. Its main and actually the only purpose is to detect sewing needles (or event their broken parts) in plush toys (depth max. 3 inch.). It will be used inside a building. I do not want it to be a large standing machine (as are used in big sewing fabrics), but rather a regular or hand detector.
Max. price would be around $700.
Can you, please, help me? I would be really thankful.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are more

MX-5, MXT-Pro, Vaquero, Tejon, Omega, Racer, FORS CoRe

Oh, man, why did you do that :-)? I will look into the specifications and prices and compare all of them. I know already about true all metal mode. I also understand that the higher frequency the better for sensitivity depth. What about this static vs. motion mode? Can you tell which would be better to look for a needle? As far as I see, I need a simple device, that does not need to differentiate metals from each other at all. The only possible metal in the toys could be a needle or a pin. I don't care to be able to differentiate it from gold, silver, copper, and so on (which would be important if I wanted to hunt for gold, and stay away from all the possible trash surrounding it). So will a device dedicated for gold search really suit my needs?

Last edited:

Carpdogman

Aug 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tesoro Vaquero found an old needle at an old mine 3 inches deep.

OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on what Fletch is saying, the AT Gold will function (was it already tested)? You can find them for less than $600 on eBay with 5x8 coils (just checked).

If you can get a confirmation on the AT Gold's depth, on your needle, you should be good to go.

Skippy

Thank you Skippy, you have given me so many great tips. I am trying to get someone to make the needle-test for me. As you said (and I read about it), air test is crucial because of that corroded surrounding, that make iron more visible underground. So I am now looking for a true all metal device with a small coil. If any will pass the test - I will take it.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a vaquero I'm taking on a trade deal for my Gold Bug Pro I may sell for $325.

OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a vaquero I'm taking on a trade deal for my Gold Bug Pro I may sell for $325.
Thank,s Fletch. I am still reading about all the specifications, trying to have people test detectors for me, and looking for what would be best for my needs. When I decide, I will let you know.

OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really confused by this true all metal mode, since actually only garrett put this information strictly in specifications of AT Gold. Of course, I understand how important it is to have, but how do I tell if Gold Bug Pro, X-Terra or XP Goldmaxx have it?

OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used one but this might be the ticket Treasure Products Vibra-Tector 730 Waterproof Pinpointer for Sale- Kellyco .
Also would suggest a Tesoro sand shark , it seems to find small items
Thank you. This is actually s second time someone suggests it. PI should work for me. Unfortunately all the youtube tests concentrate on its waterproof quality. I hope I find someone who has it, and would be willing to test it for me.

At the moment I am trying to figure out this true all metal (or zero disc) mode.

gheechee

Greenie
Dec 3, 2015
Goose Creek, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett has couple of hand held wands that are similar to what the TSA uses at airports. In my woodworking years I often used one to find buried
small nails, brads and staples in recycled wood. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett has couple of hand held wands that are similar to what the TSA uses at airports. In my woodworking years I often used one to find buried small nails, brads and staples in recycled wood. Hope this helps.
They are good, but require small depth - they are used in a close contact with a subject (person, wood). I have read many articles, and tests - they just won't work for me.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro has a lifetime warranty, well built machines reasonably priced.

How about a pic of your product? just curious....

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing SOME of us still believe in (and use) old technology as I have countless sewing needles (of all sizes) and tacking pins that I've found detecting 18th century fur trade sites.
Found many of them well beyond 3 inches with the fisher 1266X. This is why I don't want a new detector as a lot of them are biased and reject ferrous automatically with no true all-metal capability.
Sewing needles were part of the standard fur trade inventories and I take pride that I have great examples of something most detectors could not pick up that was just as important as any other trade goods.
You can still pick up a used 1265 or 66X on flea-bay for $300 to $400. You would suffer from EMI chatter using it indoors but it would still do the job.

OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing SOME of us still believe in (and use) old technology as I have countless sewing needles (of all sizes) and tacking pins that I've found detecting 18th century fur trade sites.
Found many of them well beyond 3 inches with the fisher 1266X. This is why I don't want a new detector as a lot of them are biased and reject ferrous automatically with no true all-metal capability.
Sewing needles were part of the standard fur trade inventories and I take pride that I have great examples of something most detectors could not pick up that was just as important as any other trade goods.
You can still pick up a used 1265 or 66X on flea-bay for $300 to $400. You would suffer from EMI chatter using it indoors but it would still do the job.

LOL, now you made my day (and reminded me of "The Revenant"). I would gladly look into the detector, but it is so rare. I live in Europe, so for me Fisher is unfortunately almost impossible to get. I do have possibility to buy Teknetics G2 (gold bug pro's brother), but I guess, your point was to direct my attention toward device's that work in an old-fashioned way, and do not reject iron objects. And you are so right - that is exactly what I need. A detector, that does not care for what the object is made of and beeps on EVERYTHING, no matter how invaluable and tiny it is. What I find interesting, is that 1266X works on 4.8kHz, and from what I understood it should not be as sensitive to small objects as for example - Fisher Gold Bug 2 (71kHz).

I am still reading all over the internet to find a detector I need. And still waiting for all the suggestions and help I might get from you guys, so of you have anything that could help - please write about it. What I figured is that I could do fine with a detector dedicated for gold searching, since these are made to detect really small objects. And that it should have a true all metal mode - so it is able to give me a raw signal from everything it detects. And that the coil should be small.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Klauszoll,

One quick question..> I've been so focused on asking about the technology and the requirements that I didn't think about the conditions. You're talking about sewing items that you want to pass over the coil. Are the items compressible? If so, can you SQUISH the items between a holder and pass it across the coil within 2 inches. I suspect, if you can do this, your problem becomes much less complicated.

Skippy

Well, I thought about it. And the least I need is 3.5 inches, and this distance is when I will move the toys around (otherwise I would need 7 inches). I can squeeze a little, but the distance 3.5 is already with the squeezing included.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how you are assembling the toys, if the whole thing is sewed together first then stuffed or you make it in stuffed parts and then sew them together.
If the material is pinned & sewed then stuffed you could just check the material prior to stuffing, and not use pins after that point use clips so there is no chance of a lost needle.

OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how you are assembling the toys, if the whole thing is sewed together first then stuffed or you make it in stuffed parts and then sew them together.
If the material is pinned & sewed then stuffed you could just check the material prior to stuffing, and not use pins after that point use clips so there is no chance of a lost needle.

Well, it really depends. I make different things, and the way they are sewed and assembled changes all the time. Toys are usually pretty big, made of different parts. Sometimes some parts are made by a friend of mine. That is why I need to check them at the end of the whole process.

As to the detector:
One seller did a T2 test - and he claims he detected a 1.2 inches pin from 6 inches, and G2 - from 8 inches. It seems great, and I am not sure, whether it is really possible.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok that explains it.

I'd want several opinions confirming that the detector can actually do that, then maybe my own hands on test.

OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you that any machine like the ATPro or Euroace or anything without a true all metal mode with a background threshold will not work. The ATGold (with a small coil) will work as did the Gold Bug Pro already.

I have narrowed my choice down to 3 detectors. Can someone, please tell me, if they all do have TRUE all metal mode. I am sorry for bothering you again, but I just can't get this info about teknetics:
- Garrett AT Gold (obviously has it - it is written in the specifications)
- Teknetics T2
- Teknetics G2 (which is a clone of Fisher Gold Bug Pro)

As soon as I know it, I will make another thread asking owners, if they could be so kind, and test them for me. Anyway, I am so happy to be finally at this moment - knowing where I am heading.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that all had an all metal mode with a background threshold. The ATGold you can wade around at a FRESHWATER swimming area and find jewelry and clad/silver coinage.
Between the T2 and the G2 you can about flip a coin. The G2 has only 2 tones in disc mode. A vco high as a low grunt. The breakpoint where the low turns to a high is called the V-break and can be set where you want it. Most set it at 39-40, so iron is low and everything else under the sun is a high tone.
The T2 has 1, 2, 3, 4, and delta pitch tones. It is a tried and true workhorse that has served people well in the past. The T2 Classic is the one I had. It only lacks boost and cache mode over the T2 SE.

OP
OP
K

klauszoll

Feb 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that all had an all metal mode with a background threshold. The ATGold you can wade around at a FRESHWATER swimming area and find jewelry and clad/silver coinage.
Between the T2 and the G2 you can about flip a coin. The G2 has only 2 tones in disc mode. A vco high as a low grunt. The breakpoint where the low turns to a high is called the V-break and can be set where you want it. Most set it at 39-40, so iron is low and everything else under the sun is a high tone.
The T2 has 1, 2, 3, 4, and delta pitch tones. It is a tried and true workhorse that has served people well in the past. The T2 Classic is the one I had. It only lacks boost and cache mode over the T2 SE.

Thanks for making this all so clear to me. Would boost and cache mode be important for my needs, making the detector any more sensitive to iron?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread