Opinions on Manufacturers

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
wwva said:
Which are the Porche's, Honda's, Chevy's/Fords and the Daewoo's?

In other words, which are the overpriced, high-performance brands, the reliable brands, the middle-of-the-road brands and the.....well, crap brands.

Well, let's narrow it down.....

There are many brands, some are better than others, but they all do the same thing.

When considering what machines to look at, consider what are you going to be looking for 90% of the time you are detecting? Figure in land hunting, water hunting, diving.

Everyone has their own opinion on what's the better company and depending on where,when and how you are hunting, several companies have a few machine that serve those purposes.

Some folks buy the "most expensive" thinking it is the best and may use it one time. What's up with that?

There is not a cut and dry formula. If you come up with how much you'll use it and those variables already mentioned, you might be able to narrow down the info that you really want. The Magic Eightball says...define your needs and then ask us again.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

Burt

alduro

Greenie
Apr 13, 2007
All the major brand names are good machines. Garrets, Whites, Tesoro, MineLab, Fisher, Bounty Hunter are all good. Try several models at your dealers, from friends, a local club or etc., and see what you like.

If you are just starting, I suggest you keep it simple. I would recommend the Tesoro Silver MicroMax or the Garret Ace 250. They are both good performers and the Garret is an excellent value for the features.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
wwva said:

In other words, which are the overpriced, high-performance brands, the reliable brands, the middle-of-the-road brands and the.....well, crap brands.

The Porches of detectordumb are those machines their owners like best. The Daewoos (and even the rock bottom quality Fords) are those machines least liked for whatever reason.

Yes, when it comes to a choice of detectors I think the key phrase is "for whatever reason."

Badger

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
wwva said:

As others have pointed out, there are many variables when it comes to what brand to use, but there are also good and lesser machines distributed under most every brand name. It all comes down to what you want to do with your MD and what the soil and water conditions are in the areas you plan to use it in.

If you only want to hunt for coins, jewelry and relics in soil with normal levels of mineralization, then many here would say Ace is the place, (the Ace 250 being a widely popular model of MD). If you want to use your machine in either fresh water, salt water, (and underwater), or if you have highly mineralized soil conditions, then you will likely want to look at other machines. And don't assume that a new machine will be better than an older model, just because the new one has an LCD display. Getting to know your machine and understanding what it is trying to tell you, is likely the most important part of TH'ing.

I still need to replace the coil wire on my old Compass MD, but I've taken it out for some test runs and I'm impressed. A similar unit with its capabilities on eBay, could run you as little as $30, or as high as $150, depending on a lot of variables, but for me, its worth as much as any MD selling in the $250 range even if it doesn't have a digital display. It will work in the highly mineralized soil here and it will detect gold, (and other non-ferrous materials), which many detectors can't. Since I'll be using my MD mainly for nugget hunting on land and in knee high depths of water, then its just the ticket for me.

F.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I'm simply amazed at the fact everyone is being civil....
;D
Actually the Daewoo would be any of those Seben brands or other chinese made toys that sell on Ebay. I think everyone can agree on that.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

Attachments

• ford.jpg
    ford.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 313

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
Tesoro means Treasure. LOL They have a lifetime warranty and they stick by it and that is why I like them (and they are made in the USA). However, there are any good machines by other manufacturers.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I agree with you Kevino. I have two Tesoro machines that I use and love. I have heard great things about the ACE 250 by Garrett too. For me, it is service after the sale that matters and my experience with Tesoro has been super. They give good old fashioned customer service. No phone options, no voice mail (that I know of), and usually the owners answer the phone. Can't get better than that IMHO.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like cars, we want them to take us from here to there. Some break down along the way an it costs an arm & a leg to fix. Some will get you there faster and while your enjoying the ride you can listen to music (Minelabs). It's all about what kind of fun you want. If there is one good rule on this is you generally get what you pay for.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
cryptodave said:
Oh good grief... Here comes the arguments

Its ok Dave we know you have been browsing the whites electronics site! You have been logged! ;D Sure its ok to think x-mas is not far away! ;)

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
In the grand irony of life many (if not most) things, items, products with 'American' names are made some place else. I like the fact that Tesoro is made in the good ol' USA, even if they do have a 'south of the border' nomiker.

mirage hunter

Jun 4, 2007
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 PRO XL
Civil seems to be a good thing today!! If you want to find the good models well look at alot of the post here on treasurenet they are endless!! So many brands and so many good detectors you can get lost!! I seem to believe from all that I have read and I know form a couple of friends detectors is Stay away from the bottom of the line detectors meaning the low dollar ones!! It can give you a bad taste of the hobbie!! Unless of course you like to dig trash!!!LOL!!! ;D Well good luck.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have a tesoro, I also have a bounty hunter I bought for my daughter and my sister lets me use her Xterra-30 whenever I want, and finally my buddy lets me use his XLT. So I have hit several of the major players in the detector arena. I find that each detector has its good and bad points. I am personally glad I choose the Deleon from Tesoro, my only regret is the thing has no backlight! I like to hunt well into the evening and night and it is hard to do this without a backlight, I have worked something out to help but my next machine WILL have a backlight. I can only tell you that I LOVE Tesoro. The machine is light weight, sturdy, easily maintained, perfectly balanced and was very easy to learn and use. My machine has issues with areas of high voltage and the BH and the Xterra both work in some areas where my Deleon won't.

The Whites is a nice machine but I find it some what awkward and it is wobbly. I feel like every time I use it I am going to break it! The XLT has some cool features that I would learn to use if I had one like programs etc. Overall the machine is a solid performer I just don't like its wobbly feel.

The BH is ok it is a shallow machine and it works well enough to keep my daughter happy unitl Christams time when Santa will be brining a new machine, probably a 250. It has a very small coil, and it has no pinpointing capabilities, however I can usually pinpoint a target with it pretty well by using the X technique and then gently bouncing the coil over the spot I think the target is in. It will work in areas the XLT and Deleon will not due to electrical interference. Also the small coil is great for really trashy areas.

The Xterra is fun because I like the pinpointing feature on it. My sister says she cannot pinpoint with it at all but I find it easy to use and accurate once you know what it is telling you. The VDI is very different to me than the Whites or the Deleon. I find things with it but I haven't found anything deep with it (more than 5 inches). I am sure the machine works but I just cannot figure out why I haven't found any deep targets in areas where my Deleon is picking them up (6-8inches) This past weekend I used the X to find a 46 wheat between an aluminum roofing nail and an iron screw. My sister said she had a good signal but then it went to bad. I used her machine and picked the penny out between the two signals. So the machine is a good starter machine, my major complaint with this machine is no backlight.

As so many people told me on the forums when I was looking into getting a machine, every day that goes by and you don't have a detector is another day you didn't find anything. So if you can try several different types and brands and you will find the machine that suits you.

Hope this helps, have a great day

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread