Beginner Metal Detecting in the SW?

ddavisiamt

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking to get into some very entry level metal detecting here in NM and the SW. My question is what detector would be good for the sandy/rocky/gravel areas I'll be in? It seems like most of the reviews I'm seeing are mainly areas with deep soil, I haven't seen any that show performance on the ground I'll be detecting.

I'm looking at the Garrett Ace 250 (of course), the Whites entry level model, and the Fisher F2.

As for what I'll be looking for? No idea. Anything. I'll be searching out old mining camps, ghost towns, washes, etc. Everything from clad, to relics, to jewelry, to gold in these areas as it's a very well known spot for gold/silver. I do some pretty intense hiking so getting a detector back into these areas seems like a neat idea as I'm sure most of these places I'm hiking to have never been, or rarely been detected. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

EliteDarkVlad

Sep 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also new to the hobby but I have used metal detectors for about 15 years mostly mine detection however my loving wife bought me a starter mine detector . . . Sorry metal detector it's a bounty hunter very basic. However it's very similar to what I used over seas I have found a lot of junk however you must remember that you may not be the first or last person to search an area it took me the months of metal detecting to find my first silver coin. I did my research as many before me and the AT pro would be perfect for all you want to search. However it's a little pricey so I recommend getting a cheap starter detector do not go cheap on a pin-pointer garret sells a good one for around $120 also buy your self a really good shovel I recommend a military grade E-tool (entrenching tool). Or a good spade also you'll want a pouch or a back pack depending on how far away from trafficked areas your going to be. One more thing practice dig every thing at first to figure out what works and you can keep all the metal to sell for scrap. Good luck.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will get plenty of advice from the older more experienced guys on here. everyone has their favorite brand and model but I would jump up from the ace 250, you won't be satisfied after a cpl of months. Get a $600 range detector and get advice from vendors like BigBoyshobbies, Bart is a straight shooter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread