Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What part of CA are you in?

I used to hunt yards all the time, when I first got into this hobby in the mid to late 1970s. I would just knock on the door, and say something like "Hi, I was wondering if I could check your yard with my detector, to look for any knick-knacks?"). I almost ALWAYS got a yes. But that was when I was an innocent looking high-school nerdy kid. As the years passed, I started to get more "no's". Not sure if that's d/t the increasingly litigical society we live in, or that I'm older and more ugly/suspicious looking now ::) In any case, I've moved away from yards anyhow, and gone to strictly old-town urban demo's, mission era adobe sites, etc... so I rarely do yards anymore.

My gut feeling now is, that if you are to be successful in getting access to a private yards, is to find a way NOT to have to knock on the door. Like, drive around till you find someone doing yard-work, or sitting on their porch, etc... The reason is: that the minute you knock on their door, it's like an invasion of their privacy. And you know how jaded society is nowadays to "sales-people". You'll only be thrown into that category, and... no matter what it is you're saying, the rehearsed answer will always be "no". But if you catch them when they're outside, to start the conversation, you're more likely to be on the less invasive side.

One friend of mine even would do this: He'd get the newspaper, and look to see all the garage-sales that were going on in older parts of town. He'd plot them all out in a route, and then go to them, one by one (w/no real intention of buying anything). He'd browse awhile, make small talk, and then comment on the nostalgic beauty of their older victorian home, etc... Then he'd get around to asking "would you mind if I checked the yard with my metal detector, which I happen to have in my trunk with me?". He was very successful at finding willing persons that way. Once again, it gets the homeowner on a sort of more public venue, rather than them coming to the door and talking to a total stranger, interupting their TV show, etc...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell them I am a history buff and everyonce in a while I find something historically significant. Would they mind if I looked. Many people have an interest in history and I am hardly ever turned down. Being older and retired might help some as I look pretty harmless. :D Monty

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I agree with Tom_in_CA. The other day I was driving by a home that I really want to detect the yard on and the neighbor lady was out doing yard work. I stopped and introduced myself and started talking to her. She was very leary of me until I pulled out my card that I give people when I detect and then she loosened up a little. We got to talking about the house I wanted to detect and she told me a few things I did not know about the house and who owned it. After talking to her and before walking away she offered to let me come by and detect in her yard. I am going there Tuesday with my daughter.

Letters do not work in my opinion I have only had 4 returned with yes responses out of the 15 I have sent out. 1 NO and no response from the rest. Try and find them outside doing something and then approach in a non-threatening manner. And you can laugh but the business card Idea works wonderfully and gives you the appearance of being "legitimate". Also I cannot emphasize this enough, what you wear will be a big part in whether the person says yes or no. For what it is worth. Also just so you know. I go out with a buddy and detect once a week. I have been able to secure 15 or so locations with this approach.

OP
OP
rjw4law

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the card Idea....will give it a try.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Mastereagle...
Not sure how much you know about marketing etc, but usually on cold calls, mass mailings, etc, companies expect a 2-5% return. so... if you've sent 15 letters, and received "yes" answers to 4... you're around 30%.

That would be deemed as a success in my book.

I do agree however, that in person is much better, and gets a better response. First because the human connection is always better than an anonymous letter, and second, because psychologically, it is harder to say no to someone when they are standing in front of you.

steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread