Mission to find Platinum ring, need some serious advice.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Here's the situation, a platinum ring (Wedding band) has been lost in a softball field. The owner believes it to be in an approximate 200 sq ft area. She believes it was pulled off by the glove (She chedked in there). This is where I need your help guys, as I'm a coinshooter with no gold/jewelry experience..........I'm going to use my ACE 250. Where is this platinum ring going to fall? Where does it normally fall under (General). Just trying to figure out the signature of Platinum. Any other suggestions/tips will be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
not sure about the ace settings, but rings usually fall into that "evil pulltab" range, or just on the edges of it.

A few quick thoughts though...
If it was a recent loss, it is probably on the surface, or just under the grass.
Don't make the assumption that she is right on the 200' area. Use that as a starting point, but don't be afraid to go well beyond it.

good luck
steve

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
Treasure Mike just found a platinum size 8 1/2 ring. It measured 22 - 24 on his MXT. This would be a pop top range and a little high for a nickel which is more like a 18 - 20. Rob

Cliff

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2003
Oregon
A friend of mine recently found a platinum ring with 6 diamond chips and a Tanzanite center stone -- it had a vdi of "0".

- Cliff

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Size factor/weight being the same, platinum reads lower than yellow gold. So, for example, a given size man's platinum ring, will read lower than the same size/weight yellow gold ring.

Most women's rings are smaller than men's rings. In fact, sometimes those thin little solitaire setting platinum rings are so fine and thin, they can read down to barely above iron. If they were gold and of the same size, perhaps they'd be up more into the low foil range. Be prepared to dig every low foil signal. Unless it was a chunky ring, weight wise, my hunch is it will be below nickel, at the highest.

Fleeker

Jan 28, 2007
Hohenwald, Tn.
Detector(s) used
ATPro, GTI 1500, Ace 250 and a ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same situation once. A guy lost his Platinum wedding band in his dog pen. He asked if I would try to find it. I was using my GTI1500 in jewelry mode. I was getting all kinds of hits. I ask the guy if he had another platinum ring. He had his wife's matching wedding band which I used to notch out everything but platinum. I went back to the pen and in just a few minutes I located the ring. We were all happy :D. I also have an Ace 250 and if you can find another platinum ring you can notch out with it like I did my 1500 to make your search more selective.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Another thing you should do is go to home depot or Lowes and get some yard markers. The type with the small flag on a wire that you can stick in the ground. You need to create a grid with them so there is less chance of missing an area. Good luck on your search.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good suggestions from the others. Question the person more to make sure she didn't leave it at home on the bathroom sink or take her gloves off somewhere else before hand.

You've got your work cut out for you. Check out all targets in the grass above iron to penny.

Good Luck

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Ricardo

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Where is this platinum ring going to fall?

Sorry, but my first thought to this question was "On the ground" but I realize that's probably not helpful. ;D
I think the best has been suggested. Bench test another platinum ring...

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have a ace but suggest all metal mode and sensitivity set really low as it will be almost on the surface.. Flags or markers(I use poker chips)will help you cover the area well..
Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread