First Permission!

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to the weather I haven't been able to get out lately. Today I was in the backyard metal detecting around the edges since the middle of the yard is still soggy. My neighbor just so happened to be out and asked if I had found anything yet. I went over just to say hi and shoot the breeze and he started asking questions about how the metal detector worked and so I explained it to him. Then to my suprised he said, "any time you want to go out into that south lot go right ahead, but if you find anything great I want a cut!!!"
I was kind of stunned because I hadn't even hinted at wanting to detect on his property. Of course I thanked him and explained how restrictive the laws in Wisconsin are in regards to metal detecting. Come to find out his son has a detector too and never really learned how to use it . As a result the acre and a half have been untouched and now over the summer we are going make a day of hunting on his acre and a half.
Added bonus is that it's all grass. No shrubs or trees !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also during a demonstration on his property I found an odd void under ground. I lifted the turf flap where I had gotten a great hit. Then I started to dig and was getting a lot of rotted wood chunks. It looked like there was turf over a small wood platform. The dirt around and under it was so soft the it could be scooped out by hand. I stuck the pin pointer in there and got no hit. So we kept digging. After a little long we stuck the pin pointer in the hole again no hit. Then we waived the coil over the hole and got at strong hit at six inches. Dug a little more and scanned the removed dirt and came up empty. I had to go to work so we filled the hole and decided to come back to it. However the void took up most the soil when refilling so the flap sat a good 2 inches lower than the surface. The neighbor couldn't have cared less but I still took some top soil and filled in the hole to make up the difference.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck - Keep us up to date.......

OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be ok with me... minus the curse and dieing part.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many older places had Dry wells for waste and sometimes they collapsed// Perry

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or it could be an old privvy. It's amazing what comes out of those. Good luck!

OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area I live in was developed in the 1950's so it's tough to say what it could be!
On another note I was hunting on school grounds (with permission) and got a consistent hit that was in the quarter range at around 8 inches deep. It was about 3 feet by 3 feet in size, or at least I believe it to be. If it wasn't so large I'd have dug it out but I don't want to dig a huge hole in the schools field.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you always question whats there until you go dig and find out. It will literally drive you crazy. Keep us updated I hope its a chest of gold

OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be awesome for sure but with my luck it is a car door or something... Ok maybe not a car door but something of that nature. I might go back and outline the thing and see how big it actually appears and then check with the administrator to see if there are any dry wells or utilities in that area. I cant see there being any underground utilities in the middle of a field. You never know though. If its not a car door, it might be an underground utility and I go dig it and power goes out in the entire village. You are right though! It does bug one to not know what is there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread