Upvote 0

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a Bigfoot on my XLT. It is great for making a fast sweep of an area. Not the deepest coil but good for that initial run to see what's in a target area. It pinpoints very well.
Mike

Scott (Upstate NY)

Mar 24, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Classic III, Surf PI, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had good results with the bluemax 15

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Whites 15 inch coil is heavy and pretty poor for your use. Big items, relics fine. Smaller coins/jewelery no.
The Bigfoot won't get you the depth but fine if used as Mike suggests. Don't forget to adjust the recovery speed if you get one.
Best bet would be the J.S. HotShot coil. Finds both big and small deeper. HotShot not the Hot Head. The only detector I found the Hotheads to improve was a Fisher 1266.

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
What depths would be "normal" for a Hotshot and a Bigfoot?

I'm using the XLT "stock" coil right now, (9.5" I think)

I'd like to go deeper and have more coverage, but having the same depth and more coverage would be acceptable.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Lasivian said:
What depths would be "normal" for a Hotshot and a Bigfoot?

I'm using the XLT "stock" coil right now, (9.5" I think)

I'd like to go deeper and have more coverage, but having the same depth and more coverage would be acceptable.
The Bigfoot would cover a larger area, but I think has close to the same depth. Plus being a thinner coil would be better in target separation. The Bigfoot is much lighter than the round 15 inch White's coil.After a few hours you would notice a difference.The 15 incher is like swinging a 10lb weight on a stick.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't really give depths as it depends so much on soil conditions. On bad ground you will get less depth than with the stock coil.
The Bigfoot should be able to match the 6" coil for depth in average soil but then your getting the 18" scan width, so less is more.
The Hotshot would give me around two inches more than the 9.5" Whites.
The stock coil I regard as an airtest coil. On many sites the 8" is a better choice as the XLT suffers more from target masking than many machines.
The Hotshot is deep but due to its size will pick up more target masking which is O.K. as long as you keep away from the high rubbish areas. After it came out there was the proud announcement that on the J.S. trip to the U.K., on the first day almost every XLT sported a Hotshot. What wasn't mentioned was that on day two almost everyone had removed them.

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
U.K. Brian said:
On many sites the 8" is a better choice as the XLT suffers more from target masking than many machines.

I'm guessing that means it fails to see a good target next to a bad one?

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I'm a huge fan of the WOT coil. Not sure if they make one for the xlt, but you might want to look into it

steve

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
My friend has a Big foot and its a clad magnet!! He has four different coils for his XLT but that Bigfoot is his favorite!! I do not think you will be disapointed!!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Lasivian. Stock coil on the XLT, and a load of other machines and you will not detect a coin/ring thats several inches from the masking rubbish. Even a small nail causes masking. The smaller you drop down in size the better things get.
With the XLT speed up recovery speed and that will help. Its often better to reduce discrimination in high rubbish areas. Your hearing will suffer more but you will locate the good easier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions