My Sunray coil / dealer rant

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent $180+ for a x-5 coil and $70 for a new lower for my Etrac....Over $250 with the same dealer......

Don't you think that either Sunray, Minelab or the dealer could have included a couple bucks worth of friggen hardware, for that kind of $$$$??? .... (it wasn't a dealer from here.... the dealers I normally use here did not have the coil in stock)

I know it's not the end of the world, but geez, the dealer could of mentioned the lack of hardware when I ordered..... I could of bought his $7 kit or at least had a few days to buy my own hardware.

Below is what I ended up using, costing me a whopping $1.70.

ah. OK ..I feel better now

nuts.jpg

nuts2.JPG

Upvote 0

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found nylon or fiber screws at most well stocked hardware outlets. Usually just as good as the detector manufacters and less expensive.
luvsdux

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It IS surprising that they wouldn't include a couple of small parts with the coils. Things worked differently in past years!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 spare lowers I would sell for $30 each. I see x5 coils for sale for $80-100 every week. I thought new lower rods usually came with bolt kit also.

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the X-5 coil. I keep an extra set of hardware in my bag in the Jeep. Plus all my coils on a lower rod, always have spare parts, that way

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I also bought enough hardware to have some extra set ups too.

It was just aggravating because I thought either the stem, coil or both would of came with the hardware or at the very least the dealer would of gave me a heads up.

I was eager to head out to the woods and try it out, not drive around town looking for nylon bolts and nuts. My NEL sharpshooter coil came with all the hardware.

Dang, I would of snapped up a used coil at that price.

When I was looking for a X-5 coil a couple weeks ago, I didn't notice any used X-5's on ebay or treasure net for any price. I guess I should of placed a wanted ad in the classifieds.

I just looked on ebay again and there are hardly any used X-5's, only 4-5 were sold so far this year. There is only 1 used coil on there now, and the guy says he never mounted it and wants $160 + $15 SH, for that amount I would rather by new.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I lucked up and found this one on another forum. He's got a 10x12 SEF also on an Anderson lower for $115. That's a steal of a deal

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is truly lame, they don't even include the hardware to attach the coil. :protest:

Reminds me how a lot of small household electric items, like toasters, come with super short power cords nowadays.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It comes from the manufacturer with out the hardware...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that is truly lame, they don't even include the hardware to attach the coil. :protest:

Reminds me how a lot of small household electric items, like toasters, come with super short power cords nowadays.

Yeah, that's interesting! MFG'ers putting such short cords n appliances, then pasting everywhere not to use with extension cords. Yeah, right! They're just trying to save 1/2 a penny on the cost per unit. Over 35,000,000,000 units, that's a lot of change to put in one's pocket!!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I got the CTX package deal from Bart last January, 3 coils were included with it. 11" and 17" Minelabs and the 5 x 10 Coiltek.

All 3 came with hardware, rubber washers included.

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 2 spare lowers I would sell for $30 each. I see x5 coils for sale for $80-100 every week. I thought new lower rods usually came with bolt kit also.

I'm interested in your lower rods; however, your private message mailbox is full and not working. I also have a couple of X-5 coils that I don't need.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually only have one now. I have deleted messages last night and today, logged out and back in. I still cannot send you a PM. My email is [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread