Greenie
May 22, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Undecided
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am new to the forum and metal detecting / treasure hunting. I have always thought about getting a metal detector and I have wanted one ever since I was little. I just never really acted upon it. Well, I am a big time techy that builds computers, fixes computers, smartphones, tablets, etc. I also use to be into PC gaming, however I have just lost all interest lately. After work, I tend to just sit around on the computer and not do much of anything. I have been telling myself I need a hobby for a while now. The other day I was walking through my local Walmart and seen a metal detector. That is when it hit me. I feel metal detecting / treasure hunting would be a great hobby for me. Summer is just beginning up here in Wisconsin and there is no better time than now for me to try it out. I think it will be an enjoyable thing for me to learn and will keep me more active / outdoors.

So, I am looking for opinions on a good starter metal detector. I am also wondering what else I need? I would like to only have to carry a tool or two along with my future detector. Is there a nice hand tool that is more "all in one" for penetrating and digging on the spot? Maybe a nice side pouch that attaches to my belt as well?

I think I have narrowed my search down on which detector I want to start out with. After tons of reading and research, I am now deciding between the Fisher F2 and F22. I was looking at the Garret Ace 250, but I seen many people that have used both the Ace 250 and F2 recommend the F2 all day long.

Also, I will be searching on "regular" soil mostly. There aren't really any beaches near me at all.

Upvote 0

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Welcome to Tnet. My suggestion is to buy a Garrett AT PRO. It is about the same price and it is muchb more sensitive than those two ok. NOW: If you want a really good Turn On & Go Detector that is even more sensitive than any of those the I suggest buying a used Whites DFX. You can get one for about $400. All you need with it are a GOOD set of headphones and a Gator Digger Trowel. If you buy the DFX you will never need another detector for the rest of your life literally. If it breaks Whites will fix it for FREE ok. The DFX will tell you what is in the ground before you dig it. It will block out pull tabs and other trash and still pick up the coins etc. You will find dimes at 8" - 10" routinely. Larger coins even deeper ok. It is a Pro level detector designed for anyone to use ok. I'll put mine up against any other detector any time. It has several Turn On & Go Programs built in and it will operate on ANY type of soil conditions as well. It has 4 ways to ID a target and is very accurate asc well. You won't go wrong with it ok. Good Hunting. PEACE:RONB

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro! If i could go back in time, i would have bought the AT Pro as my first detector instead of buying and upgrading a few months later. My current belt rig setup consist of a belt with these two pouches from home depot.
Bucket Boss 8.5 in. Fastener Pouch with Flap Fit-54160 - The Home Depot
I use that for my trash/dump pouch and trowel holder.

I use this for my pin pointer, little spray water bottle from walmart, my keeper finds, and tooth brush.
Husky 7-Pocket Utility Pouch-HD2066 - The Home Depot

I use this for digging
http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Trowel...8&qid=1463962517&sr=8-7&keywords=digging+tool

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

I am new to the forum and metal detecting / treasure hunting. I have always thought about getting a metal detector and I have wanted one ever since I was little. I just never really acted upon it. Well, I am a big time techy that builds computers, fixes computers, smartphones, tablets, etc. I also use to be into PC gaming, however I have just lost all interest lately. After work, I tend to just sit around on the computer and not do much of anything. I have been telling myself I need a hobby for a while now. The other day I was walking through my local Walmart and seen a metal detector. That is when it hit me. I feel metal detecting / treasure hunting would be a great hobby for me. Summer is just beginning up here in Wisconsin and there is no better time than now for me to try it out. I think it will be an enjoyable thing for me to learn and will keep me more active / outdoors.

So, I am looking for opinions on a good starter metal detector. I am also wondering what else I need? I would like to only have to carry a tool or two along with my future detector. Is there a nice hand tool that is more "all in one" for penetrating and digging on the spot? Maybe a nice side pouch that attaches to my belt as well?

I think I have narrowed my search down on which detector I want to start out with. After tons of reading and research, I am now deciding between the Fisher F2 and F22. I was looking at the Garret Ace 250, but I seen many people that have used both the Ace 250 and F2 recommend the F2 all day long.

Also, I will be searching on "regular" soil mostly. There aren't really any beaches near me at all.

Tesoro Silver uMax Metal Detectors- Kellyco

OP
OP
T

Techbyte

Greenie
May 22, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Undecided
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the same price??? The F2 and F22 are around $200. The AT Pro is around $600....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with Terry's suggestion. :thumbsup:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if I'm comfortable with only having audio though...

You wont, lol check ebay for a used at pro, it is usually around 500$ only..

Last edited:

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You're new...you have all the power in the world (and, in theory, an equal chance) to be comfortable with audio only!

OP
OP
T

Techbyte

Greenie
May 22, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Undecided
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading up on the AT Pro, I can understand why you recommend it. I wish I could afford one to be honest. However, I'm on a pretty strict budget of $250 or less here. No way could I swing $500 - $600.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I can understand that. Think about this for a second.. What are those little numbers on the screen of the cheapest VDI machine you can buy going to tell you that Audio won't? If you are looking for depth and sensitivity for UNDER $300.00, you need a solid machine that can perform at the same level as a $600.00 machine when it comes to gold and silver coins and jewelry. The Silver uMax can do that for you.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sound alot like me. I was big into tech and gaming (fps and rpg type games). Moved out to the country where I can't get dsl or cable and all that went by the wayside. Enter metal detecting. Love the hobby and far more rewarding, exciting and healthy than the gaming marathons I used to partake in!
I started with an LS camo, quickly returned it due to falsing and upgraded to a gamma for a year, now I have a collection of machines. Careful, as a techy, it's addicting hah. Atpro is a great machine, but the ace350 or fisher/teknetics series may be a bit more in line with your budget. Good luck and welcome!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With everything you're going to need to buy, you need a higher budget. You're going to have to factor in the cost of a digging tool, pouch, pin pointer, knee pads, headphones, etc.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry so much about all the do dad's that people are telling you about. Get the best detector you can buy with your budget. You can get a carpenters apron, cpl bucks. Shovel from the garden center of any hardware store for around 10 bucks and a hand shovel for around the same. Terry is very knowledgeable and the two I posted are good deals as one comes with a limited kit and the other is just the detector with still the standard Garrett warranty. As you go you can add to your collection, and don't worry. If you get into md'n you will have a big collection! Good luck with your endeavors!

OP
OP
T

Techbyte

Greenie
May 22, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Undecided
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I have. Hence the $250 budget. I plan on spending up to another $150ish. From what I can tell a pointer is an absolute need. Good trowel is obvious to me as well.

OP
OP
T

Techbyte

Greenie
May 22, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Undecided
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand that. Think about this for a second.. What are those little numbers on the screen of the cheapest VDI machine you can buy going to tell you that Audio won't? If you are looking for depth and sensitivity for UNDER $300.00, you need a solid machine that can perform at the same level as a $600.00 machine when it comes to gold and silver coins and jewelry. The Silver uMax can do that for you.

So are you saying a Tesaro Silver Umax will outperform a Fisher F22 and Teknetics Delta 4000? (The two I am looking at now) According to "specs" the Fisher F22 has the "best" depth and features I believe.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Delta and gamma are chatty Kathy's and much more susceptible to emi compared to some other units. That said tek has some great recovery speeds for their price class but separation for them can be tough if targets are too close. Look at coils and where you have to hunt. Trashy, I'd recommend a dd for separation. General use and fields, either will suit just fine. Some people prefer one over the other routinely, as for me I love my dd's! The Greek series has some of the easiest pinpointing with their concentrics. And the open design allows you to pinpoint a coin and it be dead center in the inner ring depression that the coil makes in the grass. No guesswork.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F22: 7.69khz; 9" concentric coil; 2.3lbs

Delta 4000: 7.8kHz; 8" concentric coil; Notch control; 6.5lbs

Silver uMax: 10khz; 8" concentric coil; Notch control; 2.2lbs;

My advice is to get the Silver uMax, and when you can afford it add the new Tesoro 11" x 8" Widescan (Double D) coil. Best of luck to you! :occasion14:

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And with the recent drop in Greek series pricing, the dd packages are even more affordable!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread