legoandmars

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2016
Washington
Detector(s) used
None so far, but I have eyes on a Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I was wondering how you guys get permission to metal detect abandoned woods and such; how would you find out the owner?

For example, I have an area in my city where there is a big stretch of land that used to have a house on it, but it was torn down.
Who would I ask if I wanted to detect there?

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the tax records at your county courthouse to find out who the owner is. Sometimes you can do it online, other times you need to go down there and search the records. It's all public knowledge.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many GIS websites will show you boundaries and owners. They are a great tool.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most county auditors have a map that works something like google maps. I use the once for my county all the time.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Many areas also have what's called Plat Books. The link below doesn't go over to Washington or other western states, so I don't know if there is anything like this available there. What's nice about a Plat Book is, it not only shows you who owns what land and where active homesites are, but it also gives contact info. For example, the person we bought our land from also happens to own other land all over this county and the next county. They do nothing with it but farm it (mostly CRP). One section of our plat book shows who owns what land and how many acres. Another section shows only the residences.

Plat Books - Search for plat map books by state and then county.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread