Jan 2, 2016
Arizona and New York
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2, White's Coinmaster 5900/Di Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am researching a spot that was used for summer camping for 50 seasons in the 1800s. The potential spot spans four lots/parcels. Any advice on:

1. How to approach multiple owner
2. What to offer these owners.

This is a rural area, where people are wary of outsiders.

Thanks!!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do it in person, if possible. Explain that you're trying to save relics and bits of history from eventual destruction from the elements, and that you're willing to donate (add whatever you don't collect here) to a local museum or to them personally. Offer to try and find anything specific that they may have lost on the property. Don't use the word "dig" if you can help it. Recover is a better word. If they're concerned about holes and have visions of backhoes and huge excavation, assure them that most targets are within a few inches of the surface and that you just use some gardening tools to "recover" them. Have permission, liability, and division of finds forms (separately, not as one big form) handy, but, don't offer them unless asked. No point in giving them ideas they wouldn't even think about. A verbal agreement is all you really need unless there is a known cache buried somewhere on the property, or they're hiring you to find something specific. In that case, you'll want a full contract spelling out who gets what and the value/cost of everything. Just try to keep it as simple as possible and be friendly and enthusiastic about what you do. If you have any mutual friends, that might be a good ice breaker when you meet the owner. Try to know something about the property that the owner might not know or something that is interesting to talk about. If the property is just a vacant lot, and you're so inclined, offer to pick up any trash or even cut some weeds as a bonus offer if the owner seems on the fence about giving permission. Good Luck! Sounds like in interesting property.

OP
OP
Dollybyers

Dollybyers

Jan 2, 2016
Arizona and New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as in person.... cold call? just knock on their door?

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find the direct approach is always the best. Just approach the person, tell them who you are and what you do then ask the question. The VERY worst possible thing that can happen is a refusal and you'll be no worse off than before you asked. If they do refuse, at least leave your name and number (preferably on a business card) because you never know, they may change their mind and call you in 6 months or a year. It does happen. Btw, if you don't have business cards you can go to Vistaprint.com and get a free batch of cards. You just have to pay the shipping. It's a good deal to get you started. You can also buy pre perfed blank sheets at Staples or Office Depot and print your own if you have a printer. You won't need too many to get started.

In this case I would explain a bit of the history of the site. I would also NOT offer to split the finds right out of the gate. If the person brings up the issue, fine; you can negotiate something but there's no point in giving away the store before you've even secured the permission. One step at a time is the best approach imo.

In this case of multiple owners, you can find out if the first person you approach can speak to the other owners or if they even know one another. I actually had a site like that and since one of the three owners said "no", I never got to hunt it. I'm still working on it though. You never know.

In the end it's gonna' be a simple yes or a no. If it's a no then move on to the next spot. The key is to keep asking. A certain number of people will say yes and some will say no. Like everything else in this hobby it's a numbers game. If you go out and start asking and 10 people say "no", chances are you'll have at least two that say "yes" by then. An old pro salesman taught me that long ago and that knowledge has served me well ever since.

Good luck. It sounds like a site with great potential.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as in person.... cold call? just knock on their door?
Sure, why not? I'd prefer to approach the owner when they're outside already, but, if that never seems to happen when you drive by, stop and ask. To improve your odds, have a woman, or a kid with you. Young girls are the best. Hummm, that somehow doesn't sound right.......:laughing7: Anyway, you want to soften up whoever might answer the door.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hummm, that somehow doesn't sound right.......:laughing7: Anyway, you want to soften up whoever might answer the door.

It may not sound right but it's true. A cute young kid is always great icebreaker. Who can resist a cute kid besides someone you probably wouldn't wanna' make friends with anyway??

It never hurts to bring gifts either once you've secured permission. A fresh batch of blueberry muffins or some other tasty baked goods never hurt anybody.
I brought a big bag of clementines and a bag of toll house cookies for the kids of a vegetarian woman I know. Everybody was nice and happy.

It's always good to make people like you ASAP. They'll let their guard down almost immediately once you've done that and then it's treasure huntin' time....

Last edited:

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure, why not? I'd prefer to approach the owner when they're outside already, but, if that never seems to happen when you drive by, stop and ask. To improve your odds, have a woman, or a kid with you. Young girls are the best. Hummm, that somehow doesn't sound right.......:laughing7: Anyway, you want to soften up whoever might answer the door.

This is so true. I would always try to have my 13 year old daughter with me when asking permission. It makes the people feel more at ease, and that your aren't trying to rob them, or something.

OP
OP
Dollybyers

Dollybyers

Jan 2, 2016
Arizona and New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I will bring along my two preschool age kids. They are pretty cute!

I will let you know how it goes.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not mention the camp. Just go to their homes at a descent hour and knock on their door. Introduce yourself, and maybe tell them where your from. Tell them that you enjoy the hobby of metal detecting and if they would allow you to detect their property, maybe limit it to a portion of the property that is a harveted field or an unkempt area.

They may simply say no, if that happens I let them know that I only hunt with permission on private property and I thank them for their time.

They may ask what are you looking for and I'd like to see what you're finding. I tell them I am looking for relics like harmonica reeds, maybe an oil lamp wick assembly, other relics, and the occasional coin. 99% of the time they only want to see what your digging. This gives you the opportunity to show and tell and can be be the beginning of good relations.

I have had one that asked "if I found two old similar coins, that he'd take the one of lesser value". After I hunted his yard a few times I dropped off a thank you card with an Indian Head in it.

Some may want to split 50/50, I had two of those. The first one was not worth it and the guy stayed right beside me. After 20 minutes I gave it all to him (maybe a buck in clad), thanked him and left. The 2nd guy has a real old property. I detected for about 3 hours and dug 3 in clad, These people owned the property for 24 years and never let anyone detect it. It had to have been hit back when it sat vacant or when the previous owners resided there. I split it down the middle we chatted a little and he just said keep it all and you can come back anytime.

Do not mention treasure, valuable coins, jewelry etc. If they mention that they lost a ring, offer to find it if you can detect their property. You may also get requests to find property stakes.

I rather hunt permissions than the local parks and schools in my area.

You will get some to say (in a joking manner) if you find real treasure maybe a cache, we split it. I always agree knowing that the odds of finding a silver or gold coin cache.

The more you do it, the easier it gets.

I often offer them to hunt with me since I keep a backup/loaner detector and extra gear in the van. I have yet to have anyone take me up on the offer.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread