☆☆☆UPDATE !!!☆☆☆

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since the incident, my husband and I have obtained permission from the city Mayor to metal detect in all city parks. Instead of complaining or being confrontational we decided, with a little guidance from others, that it was in the best interest of our hobby to be professional and courteous when seeking permission. Despite our frustration at times, I feel we must ALL do our part to demonstrate integrity and respect by being advocates for metal detecting. We cannot allow our passion to override our common sense and dignity when dealing with officials, regardless if they are right or wrong. How we conduct ourselves in these situations is a direct reflection of us as individuals as well as a collective group of metal detectorists. Confrontation, negativity and/or blatant disregard for rules reflects poorly and tarnishes our reputation. Thus, making us more vulnerable to negative attention from the very people we want on our side. I will always strive to leave a positive interaction with each person I come in contact with while detecting. I feel it is much more conducive to favorable outcomes like mine today. Thanks for reading and for all the support and comments! :icon_cheers:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks.

I think the point was that it's generally considered bad form on forums to post an update completely disconnected from the original thread and leaving a reader feeling discombobulated.

Yes, we'll that was MY fault. The original post was posted to Today's Finds Forum ( my mistake) Then I posted the update and it got moved here. I'm still learning how these forums work and didn't post it to the correct one I the first place. Now I know. Lol

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello. I read this thread, and the one Top linked to, which is the original thread (thanks for making sense of this thread Top), and maybe I missed it, but was there an actual code or ordinance against metal detecting? I mean, was it expressly prohibited activity?

I didn't see where that was mentioned concretely.

If not, then why ask permission for an activity that is not prohibited by law? :icon_scratch:

He told me it was not allowed. Tild me I had to leave but he wasn't going to cite.me ( red flag in my mind if they can't expressly say it's a law or ordinance). So I checked and couldn't find anything against it online and there are no signs prohibiting it. But rather than keep pushing the envelope and deal g with these appointed officials every time trying to run me off I simply emailed the Mayor to see if metal detecting was okay in city parks. Now I have an email in my pocket so if they question me I can show them.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
He told me it was not allowed......

Yes, this is what is always said, when someone's saying "scram". Whether it's true or not, it's just the pat "go-to" reply they will give. Because perhaps in their mind's eyes, it falls afoul of "alter and deface" verbage (even though you'll leave no trace). Or because they figure it bothers the earthworms, or .... who knows ?

So I do not construe someone's saying "that's not allowed" to mean "its' not allowed", in-lieu of your own research which showed otherwise. But sure: If they're gonna be there all the time, and it's not an isolated incident, then perhaps you had no choice :(

This is why most all my park turf hunting is done at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene :)

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi KYQ; Great Job. Now Please Post a COPY of that Form here so that others may Print it and use it as well ok. AWESOME. PEACE:RONB

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Problem with that is, at least in my state, virtually all city parks all close at dusk and open at dawn. If that's not the case where you are, that's awesome.

There may be some boiler plate verbiage. But I'm sure it's to prevent persons from camping overnight, or having late night keg parties, etc....

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
That's exactly whom it was intended for, but it's hard to argue with posted signs, "Park Closed from 10:00pm to 5 am.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
That's exactly whom it was intended for, but it's hard to argue with posted signs, "Park Closed from 10:00pm to 5 am.

If that don't stop a late-night love-bird couple from taking a romantic late night moon-lit walk through the park, then it won't stop me either :)

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
If that don't stop a late-night love-bird couple from taking a romantic late night moon-lit walk through the park, then it won't stop me either :)

I knew that you had it in you. :occasion14:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I consider my activity to be just as innocuous as their activity. I'm talking a romantic walk with my metal detector after all. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread