Youre out in the woods and run into a...

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: You're out in the woods and run into a...

I'm a newbie too seablue. If I run into a bear I'll tell him to go your way :) It's beginning to sound like treasure hunters will become pack animals lol. There will be roaming bands of people with metal detectors and jingling bells scaring the crap out of all the wildlife.
Jimmileo, maybe those cows were attacked by the chupacabra? ;)

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IDEA! Just get a hunting license for what season it is, and that'll be a good excuse to have your metal detector in one hand and the shotgun in the other! lol ;D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Not a wise idea to MD during hunting season, btut if nothing else wear flourescent orange as waving a white coil around in the woods is just enough to make itchy fingers squeeze the trigger. Happy and safe hunting.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Mike speaks the truth. There is nothing to fear here in the PA woods, if you leave it alone. with the exception of BUGS of course (Skeeters, Tics) no respect from them. & lately the BLACK WIDOW, has been found in my area, several times. don't think they attack tho? :D .................... of course I havn't run into Big Foot yet? :)

I'm sure he does and i never doubted him. I have and do fish PA quite a bit and believe me being scared was the last thing on my mind over there. ?

I have been around the block a few times myself and merely posted one of the bear experiences i've had and got labled as a know nothing city boy by someone who knows jack sh*t about me.

But hey, it's no skin off my butt and if Mike can come up with a profile like that on me from a few of my posts and believes it no matter how incorrect, then more power to him. 8) ?

I too formed a profile from his posts, hence the Daniel Boone crack, but if it's not fitting to him i can change it to Northern Hillbilly or maybe PA Yellowhammer. Whatever fits, it's all good with me. :D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hope you Know My Post was simply in reference to My lack of fear in the woods, Nothing Personal True_Metal. I have walked up to a Black bear, within a few feet not paying attention. He stood up on his hind legs & then I saw him & froze. he went back down on all 4's & circled like he was deciding to run, climb a tree, or ignore me. he then sat down so, I turned & walked away. My only other expierence , I was in my car, one walked up? to the passenger door, turned to walk around the front. I went to crack my window & he looked up at me through the front window & ran off to the left into the woods. ............. So I can only say EAST CENTRAL PA BEARS are very docile. usually i hear of them being cornerd up trees in peoples yards & they draw a crowd. the Game commish, usually say disperse & so will the bear. .......... I have heard of DEER attacks but thats even rare.

shymot

Greenie
Jul 12, 2003

anybody have any problems with rattlesnakes or any kind of snake ?

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hear ya, Jeff. No prob, you're not the one throwing hooks 8)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SHYMOT :not yet :) (fingers crossed lol)

M

mrmark55

The Mosquitoes here in Texas are often mistaken for stealth fighters and our prairie dogs are fairly ferocious!

Mr Mark
;D

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA

shymot,

there are timber rattlers in my area, I have seen a few but nothing threatening. I hope to catch a couple this sumer, I can get at least $300 each if they are kept live. I don't think there are any massasagua rattlers in my area but they are in the state. I have had a few encounters with copperheads, I was very nearly bitten by one about 16 years ago. I am a snake lover and would welcome seeing any snake.

True-Metal,

Look buddy, I told you that my post was in reference to the way you explained your reaction to the bear, it sounded like a city boy's reaction, it was just my opinion.. Call me what you want, I know that if you feel that way it is only because yoou know I am the superior outdoorsman. I have no problem with you or anyone else on here. If you have a problem with me, ignore me plain and simple. I guess I have a knack for offending people, hey I'm nuts it goes with the territory.

mike

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida

mrmark, don't get me started on the mosquitos here in Fla, the other day at the fair, they hauled off the farmer and were playing horseshoes to see who got the mule! 8)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

ya think you got big skeeters, come see ours. If you think ya see an oil rig out in a pasture, it's actually just a big bloodsucker resting in the grass and the rig is just part of her anatomy!

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida

I think there is a product to ward off bears and other predators. I remember seeing a video of some one spraying a big can of pepper spray with a big cloud. I'm not sure if it works but if you cannot carry a gun it might do. Also If you are being challenged pick up anything that will make you look taller and bigger. And make as much noise as you can. Never turn your back and run. If you are being mauled do not fight back. Cover your vitals and hope for the best. Never seen a bear here in Florida but got attacked by an armadillo once. I was about 12 and cornered on on a river bank. I wanted to grab it by the tail but it took of like a shot and ran up my leg and tried to take a chunk out of my manhood. I have never messed with an armadillo since. HH.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? CHRIS

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny

Leave the dogs at home. Many bear attacks have occured by dogs getting on the scent of a bear. They hunt the bear down then once they find out the bear is bigger then its stench it runs straight back to the owner. With the bear not far behind. Stay away from regularly used camping areas as careless overnighters tempt bears in with food and fish guts tossed into the brush. This causes problem bears which begin to relate humans with food. If you are in close proximity to a bear DO NOT look him in the eyes. Its a challenge to the bear. Sometimes they do a bluff charge. They run right up to you and make a lot of noise. If a bear is getting aggressive and starts to charge, pull your jacket up above your head to make yourself look bigger. Grunt loudly and often and dance side to side. Sounds strange but its saved one guys life on a few occasions. He's a wildlife biologist who searches for black bears to study them. Absolute last resort bring a sturdy 6 inch razor sharp buck knife. With a gun you could get nervous and shoot all your rounds and only aggravate the bear more. Knifes are reusable, stab upwards in the gut area. Don't run, predators see running animals as prey. Back away and yell if the bear gets closer, throw rocks and sticks and anything you can get a hold of. Hope this helps. Have fun in the woods I know I do. I saw one bear coming towards me and I was 3 miles from my car. Never had one closer then 100 feet that I know of. Never want to either. Jason

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny

Oh yeah and as far as I know the skeeters and black flies up here in new york are far meaner then any bear I've ever seen. Use to trap them for their fur. Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions