cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, it doesn't rain hard enough in SoCal to need one, right? :laughing7: Well, I'm going to a place that does, and could use a good suit to keep me dry and not bind me up to the point I can't detect. I'd like one that will breathe and keep me dry on the inside too. No point in keeping the rain out if I soak myself with sweat in the process. Price is not a huge issue, but, less expensive and good quality would be a plus.....made in USA would be great too! I'm not big on jump suits or suspender type bibs. I would prefer a separate top and pants. Also, any good water/mud boots out there? Keeping the feet dry is going to be needed too. Maybe biker suits? Thanks.

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Check a big time sports/outdoor store like Outdoor World(Bass Pro) , Cabela's or Gander Mountain. They will have what you are looking for. Good luck on your adventure.

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I've looked at Cabelas and Amazon, but, there are a million choices and most, if not all, of the reviews are from non-detectorists, so, it's hard to tell if any particular one is better than another for our use.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
For boots, Irish Setter, LaCrosse, or Muck Boots. All three are AWESOME!!
Men's Muck Boot Company™ Chore Cool High Work Boots, Brown - 294208, Rubber & Rain Boots at Sportsman's Guide

Irish Setter Men's Rutmaster RPM Rubber Hunting Boots - 666189, Hunting Boots at Sportsman's Guide

Muck? 15" Muckmaster® Hi Commercial-Grade Boots, Black - 183201, Rubber & Rain Boots at Sportsman's Guide

You could also go with a pair of normal work/hiking boots that are already broken in, and add gore-tex socks such as these:
https://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Mens-11-Gore-Tex-Socks/dp/B00DBLN0NY

The boots will get wet if walking through water, but your feet will stay 100% dry. Also, wearing normal boots may not feel as clumsy for you as wearing rubber boots that you're not used to. Another benefit to this is, if you're the kind of person whose feet get hot easy, the water getting into the boot will help to keep your feet cool. If your feet get cold easy, stay with rubber boots - maybe even go with insulated rubber boots. Again, I'd recommend Irish Setter or Muck. Both are amazing boots!!

I've heard many good things about Frogg Toggs rainwear. They also make rubber boots, but have no idea about them. I have never swung a MD in the rain, so best to take Terry's advice over anything I might spew out! :tongue3:

EDIT: One more thing. I can't stand to have my socks falling down when wearing rubber boots - or ANY shoes/boots for that matter! The socks I normally wear are Wilson over-the-calf socks. They come in grey or white and stay up no matter what!! Has been more than a year since I've bought any as I cannot find them in any store. However, can purchase off of their website - probably off of Amazon as well, but haven't checked yet to see.

Last edited:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
+1 for Muck boots, they are a staple here in the Pacific Northwest.

I also have a pair of hunting boots that are waterproof, they have a Goretex liner making them waterproof as well.

I cannot comment on a rainsuit. I have a set of Helly Hansen that I wore on the job years ago. Plenty waterproof, but they do not breathe.

I wear a Carhartt jacket when it rains. It is not waterproof, but it takes a while to get soaked, and I can change out with something else.

Let us know what you end up with and how it works for you.

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's for the info so far. All opinions are welcome! :thumbsup:

Texas T

Jul 4, 2016
Sun Lakes / Show Low, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another positive recommendation for Frogg Toggs. As a long distance motorcycle rider they are very good at shedding water while not holding in body moisture. They are by far my most favorite rain gear.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Frog Toggs.

Mine are something like Toad Skinz.... whatever.

I like the nylon shell for brush, and kneeling. They last a few seasons of hard, hard use. As a top layer, the worn out shell is still great for poison ivy/oak protection. Remove inside out, toss in the truck, toss in the wash.

In the heat, if use is light, Columbia makes a good, lightweight, breathable, nylon woven shell that's been hard to beat. All rainsuits should be purchased with allowance for intended clothing to be worn underneath. So, try before you buy while wearing your field clothes.

Danner boots. All leather/Gor-tex. Last 10 years easily in construction abuse. I own 3 pairs. One each decade. They are that good.

Muck boots are good, but ankle support is important considering my terrain.

Last edited:

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Frog Toggs.

For bottoms though, get bibs and not pants.

When you're bent over digging, the rain won't run down your back into your butt crack with bibs.

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What'd you decide on footwear? You know, you could always go the Ellie Clampett route and go barefoot. I hear feet are waterproof! :laughing9:

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What'd you decide on footwear? You know, you could always go the Ellie Clampett route and go barefoot. I hear feet are waterproof! :laughing9:
With all the nasty and sharp crap I've found in the ground over the years, I don't even go barefoot at the beach! :laughing7:

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Frogg Toggs. I was a bit disappointed that they're made in China, but, they look like they'll work fine. They sure are light weight! That's always a plus when packing a suitcase. Now for boots.........

oooldman

Feb 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Whites coinmaster, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought Cabelas " SPACE RAIN " suit on clearance 3 years ago. I love it... Very light weight feels like silk... i spent 2 days fishing from dawn to dusk in a sustained rain and never got wet. I did feel the coolness of the rain so i had to put sweatshirt on to protect me from the cold. Since then i bought both of my sons a suit. We are all happy and dry... each piece comes in its own pouch and rolls up about the size if a softball.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions