any one use the xj9 pro or not tips please

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
I got this machine off ebay highly frustrating to use would anyone recomend it or have I brought a pile of rubbish honest answers please what can I do to find things with it It said 33cm depth on the advert do you think this is on a coin or perhaps a slighty bigger object a buried truck perhaps. Does anyone use one and if so have you found anything and how do you pinpoint without digging a a hole less than 24inchs across or is this the norm in terms of accuracy anyone even heard of this machine

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
I think this sums it up :

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,94138.msg679913.html#msg679913

It isn't snobbery. Most of us have tried the cheapies or taken our lumps and actually bought one and are just trying to pass off some hard earned experience. I for one started with a Wal Mart Discovery (the cheapest one, I forget what model it was), hated it, took my lumps, sold it at a loss, and upgraded. There are cheap metal detectors and there are bargain metal detectors. A baragain detector would be a entry level name brand machine, like the Tesoro Silver Sabre, or the Ace 250. Cheap is just that, a detector that has no value besides trying to take someones cash while offering very little in return. I am afraid those Ebay chinese specials are those type of machines. You can get a Silver Sabre, Ace 150, or a low end fisher for under $200 and still find LOTS of stuff. Even a used name brand machine would be a much better idea than buying something no one has ever heard of.

beerbarrel

Jun 24, 2007
Houston
Hello STRIKE IT RICH! I responded to your post about "snobbery". I asked a question and no one seems to answer it. I don't want to offend anyone, but just want to know from someone out there, regarding what some people are calling "cheap" detector. Is it construction, features, warranty, etc?

Beerbarrel

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
I think what fellow members are trying to get across is the difference between cheap and bargain ie a cheap md is a chinese made md non popular brand whilst cheap is a branded machine at a great price correct me if iam wrong

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
cheap doesn't mean inexpensive... it means poorly made, non-quality, non-functioning.

as Gribnitz said... there is a difference between cheap and a bargain. I would also agree that it is better to buy a used name brand than a brand new no-name (regardless of what its advertising says). As for the 33cm claim... that is just about 12". Sometimes my DFX and Excal can't find items at 12".

I've seen detectors that couldn't find coins that were literally laying on top of the ground. those are the ones i classify as "cheap". If it can't find coins on the surface, it probably isn't going to find them underground, regardless of operator skill. I am not familiar with your machine, but I'm guessing that it is one of those dreaded "cheapo" detectors that we're talking about. my advice, check out the thread on "what to do with your cheap detector", sell it at a yardsale and upgrade. (I would say initially the ACE 250... probably one of the best -if not THE best- inexpensive machine around)

good luck
steve

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beerbarrel said:
Hello STRIKE IT RICH! I responded to your post about "snobbery". I asked a question and no one seems to answer it. I don't want to offend anyone, but just want to know from someone out there, regarding what some people are calling "cheap" detector. Is it construction, features, warranty, etc?

Beerbarrel

Personally when I believe that someone is referring to a "Cheap" detector, it is meaning that is was
manufactured for the sole purpose, to sell to the most people at the greatest profit for the least
amount of money on the manufacturers side.

So I call a "Radio Shack" Metal detector a "Cheap" detector, because it costs anywhere from
$25 to $100, but its not obviously intended for professional use.

And anyone buying one for a "Professional standard" point of view will almost certainly be disappointed.

Now will it pick up coins ? Certainly, will it pick up Jewelry ? certainly.
Do you get much depth, Probably not, do you get much sensitivity, probably not...

Will you be satisfied to use this on a regular basis, while you watch your friends dig deeper more
numerous finds.....

Probably not...

Is this the answer you were looking for Beerbarrel ?

Maybe....
Good luck,

I have nothing against what others use, but sometimes I don't like to see others who would be good in this hobby wasting their time, or having lots of trouble, with something that does not work very well...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread