Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree285Likes

Thread: Cutting to the Chase whats the top Metal Detector in the World-Money no object

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2337 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    They asked for the best, not the easiest. If she's as smart as she's supposed to be, she won't have any problem learning the CTX. All machines have a certain learning curve and take time to master. Starting with the CTX, she won't be bringing any bad habits from a previous machine!
    Yes and really the CTX is a turn on and go machine as is the Etrac. Sure you can adjust many settings but you certainly do not have to.

Aug 2016
    19 times
    Minelab sov xs 2 bet its just as deep n a lot more cheap
    jeff of pa and RustyGold like this.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    20706 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch88 View Post
    Yes and really the CTX is a turn on and go machine as is the Etrac. Sure you can adjust many settings but you certainly do not have to.
    I would add, Detectors like that Will grow with the User.
    it can be as Simple or as complicated as you want, as you Learn
    can, Bquamb, Fletch88 and 3 others like this.

ca
    Louis Riel was a HERO.... not a traitor!

Jul 2012
    In da bush
    Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
    1514 times
    Living for the hunt!
    The Deus is wayyyyyy better than any Minelab!
    Loco-Digger likes this.
    A metal detector can only do so much..........
    It's up to you to do the rest!

Aug 2016
    19 times
    Sov all the way

can
    us
    Dec 2015
    NC
    xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
    457 times
    Quote Originally Posted by laidback4sho View Post
    Which one do you like the best, the Deus or the CTX?
    They are both excellent machines. Each has there place. For beach and water it has to be the ctx because the deus is not water proof and does nt do well in wet sand. In the field you can the swing the deus all day with out any fatigue. I am sill learning both machines. I had never detected before January 2016. Got the deus for Christmas. I enjoyed it. Said if I still like detecting come summer I would buy a water unit. And then I bought 2 water units. The first water unit I bought was a vintage excal sword. Guy I bought it from said there would be no problem finding someone to work on it and finding parts. ( I was warned by the good folks on this site that there are no parts for this machine, but I bought it anyway. You guys are right. It works well but now I am afraid to use it at the beach.) So the ctx is my beach machine. A bit heavy, so I bought the pro swing. I just dont understand the logic behind get something simple because treasure hunters aren't smart enough understand new digital technology. If you buy quality, and you need to sell for what ever reason, that quality will sell. With both the deus and ctx I was able to start em up and start hunting. Do I and did I know every little tweek to get the most out of the machine no. Still don't. I imagine most long time hunters don't know how to get the most out of their machines either. However many do. And I thank each of you for helping educate. That is why there is so many hunters on this site and other sites still learning and sharing.

If money is no object buy the best you can. If money is an object the buy the best you can afford. Many good suggestions as to what is to best. Can't go wrong with any of them.
    Bquamb, cudamark and RustyGold like this.

ca
    Tall-ass coil sweeper

Dec 2014
    Vancouver Island
    CTX 3030
    252 times
    I went from a Minelab Xterra 305 - Cheap, easy to use... I then upgraded to a Garrett AT-Pro... I found it too easy to use and super simple... I then upgraded to a CTX 3030. It is a very difficult machine to LEARN but if shes a smart cookie, I would go in this direction. the CTX and the XP are top choices for the eager and for those that can afford. The CTX would almost require the "Andy Sabish" CTX book - it is invaluable and puts the Minelab 3030 manual to rest as it is very non descriptive.

So.... CTX 3030 OR XP Deus 4.0 =)

Best of luck!
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Deus XP, AT Pro, F75SE, Ace 400
    1841 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    There again, that isn't what they asked for. We can debate the merits of a starter machine if you like, but, they asked our opinion on which machine is the best. I don't think there is any machine out there that a newbie couldn't turn and go with a stock program and be reasonably successful. My only concern with someone who has never detected before is, will they stick with it, or, give up because either they decide "it's not for me" or they just can't handle the physical part of it.Figuring out how to best tweak the machine for their type of hunting just takes time and experimentation (and advice from us here on Tnet!)
    I told him exactly what he asked for, since when are we bound not to add additional comments and suggestions ?
    He is looking at it from the wrong angle, IQ has 0 bearing on whether or not someone will take to a particular hobby, and starting with an advanced machine, IMO, will have the opposite of the effect intended.
    jeff of pa likes this.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    20706 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraywolf View Post
    I told him exactly what he asked for, since when are we bound not to add additional comments and suggestions ?
    He is looking at it from the wrong angle, IQ has 0 bearing on whether or not someone will take to a particular hobby, and starting with an advanced machine, IMO, will have the opposite of the effect intended.
    I have to agree if you hand someone who has absolutely no idea what to expect,
    a top of the line detector with all it's settings.
    and they don't have someone beside them who they can bounce questions and frustrations off.
    odds are that frustration will come fast.

I had no Problem going from an early Whites Coinmaster to the Sovereign.
    But it took me 3 different attempts at 3 different Explorers over approximately 8 Years,
    Before I actually wasn't completely Frustrated with one of them.
    and I still have my days where I'm not sure if the SE is set up correctly,
    or just Satisfactorily.

I have no idea how I'd feel if I went from TV shows about detecting to an Explorer.
    With no other Knowledge of how they work.
    Keppy likes this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6790 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    I would add, Detectors like that Will grow with the User.
    it can be as Simple or as complicated as you want, as you Learn
    Fletch88 & Jeff: I disagree. Although it's theoretically possible for someone to stay in default modes , and theoretically possible to not-adjust anything, yet it never works out that way. I have never seen a beginner YET who simply can't resist going into the menus. And fooling around "lest they be missing out". Or the mere fact that those advanced adjustments are there (even if they don't fool with them) will simply have them confused, intimidated, etc....

AdamBomb and x-raywolf are right when they said:

Quote Originally Posted by adamBomb View Post
    .... Get the CTX but she is going to have a very steep learning curve ..... The thing about the CTX is that it is one of the best machines out there but it is complicated. .... if you were trying to learn to drive and have never driven before but decide to start with a mac truck instead of a small automatic car...and then imagine trying to learn to drive that mac truck without a teacher there. It can be done its just going to take dedication on her part and in the beginning its going to be frustrating for her..........
    Very rarely ever a good idea to start with a high end machine - More than likely you'll have it on craigslist or ebay at a decent loss within half a year, and it doesn't matter if she knows how to spell every state capital backwards ect ect..... What I'd advise is a Garrett Ace 400.
    jeff of pa and Davers like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    1841 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    I have to agree if you hand someone who has absolutely no idea what to expect,
    a top of the line detector with all it's settings.
    and they don't have someone beside them who they can bounce questions and frustrations off.
    odds are that frustration will come fast.

I had no Problem going from an early Whites Coinmaster to the Sovereign.
    But it took me 3 different attempts at 3 different Explorers over approximately 8 Years,
    Before I actually wasn't completely Frustrated with one of them.
    and I still have my days where I'm not sure if the SE is set up correctly,
    or just Satisfactorily.

I have no idea how I'd feel if I went from TV shows about detecting to an Explorer.
    With no other Knowledge of how they work.
    I think the OP is thinking his/her odds of treasure flying out of the ground at him will be greatly increased by buying a top of the line detector ,,, If that is the case, I think disappointment is bound to set in quick when they discover most of what you'll find is bottle caps, nails, foil and pulltabs - And you can find those just as easily with a low/mid range detector than top range, albeit not as deep. Frustration and disillusionment is bound to set in, so the question is how they will deal with that. People can turns frustrations around all the time in any number of scenarios if they stick with it and learn.
    The impression I got from the OP is high expectations that will not be met no matter how much $$ is thrown into the mix.

Deeper is not necessarily better for a beginner ,,, Yes there are other benefits to top end detectors as well such as improved target ID, multiple freqs ect, but most guys I think want extra depth - And some are getting it, finding silver dimes at 12" +. For the most part, guys like that are journeymen, pros who know how to listen for the faint, fleeting whisper of deep silver vs the constant chatter of junk. Skills like that can hardly even be taught but must be learned through trial and error, and many many hours of swinging. A machine like that in the hands of a noob IMO is not only a bad idea but counter productive - An almost certain setup for fail.

I myself have been at it around a decade, don't consider myself a pro by any stretch. I still use low/mid range machines, and am quite happy to find dimes at 7" max. In fact, in most soil conditions I wouldn't care to routinely dig much deeper than that.
    jeff of pa, RustyGold and luvsdux like this.

can
    us
    Dec 2015
    NC
    457 times
    Here is another way to look at this. If one goes with, lets say a beginner machine, and in a few months, learns it and masters it and is doing very well with. That machine will not take one but so far. Now that person will want to buy an upgraded machine. Learn it, master it again in say a year or so. Now that person will want the top of the line machine. That now make three machines this person will have to buy, learn and master. And if you wanted to sell for what ever reason. Now you got three machines to sell. Personally I dont have that much time. So one goes with the top of the line first, this person will save money right off the bat by buying only one machine. If this person uses only factory settings at first with the top end machine it will be as good as the beginner's machine.(That is if this person changes nothing). Now if said person starts messing with the settings and changes the machine in the wrong direction, the worst that can happen is that person has to hit the default setting button and bring it to factory settings. This is education...learning the machine. Something that all detectorists do. This person may be frustrated, but if this person is smart, he or she will read more, talk more, rethink more and hunt more, making friends along the way, which is a very good thing. Some people don't want simple, some people do. Some people want a challenge, some people don't. And that is really what the discussion is about. What kind of person the wife of the OP is, and that we don't know. I know me and you know you and we buy and hunt and learn accordingly. The OP does know his wife, and I guess he has some understanding of machines. Maybe the question is more for himself than his wife. A way to get himself a new machine...I mean his wife a new machine LOL

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    20706 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I think the OP is thinking his/her odds of treasure flying out of the ground at him will be greatly increased by buying a top of the line detector ,,, If that is the case, I think disappointment is bound to set in quick when they discover most of what you'll find is bottle caps, nails, foil and pulltabs - And you can find those just as easily with a low/mid range detector than top range, albeit not as deep. Frustration and disillusionment is bound to set in, so the question is how they will deal with that. People can turns frustrations around all the time in any number of scenarios if they stick with it and learn.
    The impression I got from the OP is high expectations that will not be met no matter how much $$ is thrown into the mix.

Deeper is not necessarily better for a beginner ,,, Yes there are other benefits to top end detectors as well such as improved target ID, multiple freqs ect, but most guys I think want extra depth - And some are getting it, finding silver dimes at 12" +. For the most part, guys like that are journeymen, pros who know how to listen for the faint, fleeting whisper of deep silver vs the constant chatter of junk. Skills like that can hardly even be taught but must be learned through trial and error, and many many hours of swinging. A machine like that in the hands of a noob IMO is not only a bad idea but counter productive - An almost certain setup for fail.

I myself have been at it around a decade, don't consider myself a pro by any stretch. I still use low/mid range machines, and am quite happy to find dimes at 7" max. In fact, in most soil conditions I wouldn't care to routinely dig much deeper than that.
    Yes I'm hoping Too she hasn't been watching Ric Savage's "American Digger" Or "Swamp Hunters" on truTv
    & thinking it is that easy to find real Treasures.
    He may love his wife enough to spend a Mint on her,
    But it really isn't that Necessary to Enjoy Detecting as a Hobby.
    and definitively won't improve her odds that much.
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Aug 25, 2016 at 04:17 PM.
    can likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    1841 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by can View Post
    Here is another way to look at this. If one goes with, lets say a beginner machine, and in a few months, learns it and masters it and is doing very well with. That machine will not take one but so far. Now that person will want to buy an upgraded machine. Learn it, master it again in say a year or so. Now that person will want the top of the line machine. That now make three machines this person will have to buy, learn and master. And if you wanted to sell for what ever reason. Now you got three machines to sell. Personally I dont have that much time. So one goes with the top of the line first, this person will save money right off the bat by buying only one machine. If this person uses only factory settings at first with the top end machine it will be as good as the beginner's machine.(That is if this person changes nothing). Now if said person starts messing with the settings and changes the machine in the wrong direction, the worst that can happen is that person has to hit the default setting button and bring it to factory settings. This is education...learning the machine. Something that all detectorists do. This person may be frustrated, but if this person is smart, he or she will read more, talk more, rethink more and hunt more, making friends along the way, which is a very good thing. Some people don't want simple, some people do. Some people want a challenge, some people don't. And that is really what the discussion is about. What kind of person the wife of the OP is, and that we don't know. I know me and you know you and we buy and hunt and learn accordingly. The OP does know his wife, and I guess he has some understanding of machines. Maybe the question is more for himself than his wife. A way to get himself a new machine...I mean his wife a new machine LOL
    Personally, I started with the Ace 250 and stayed with it exclusively for 5 years - And in that time found lots of old coins and gold/silver rings, far more enough than to pay for the detector many times over.
    I "upgraded" to a Minelab Quatro, and I hated the thing instantly, almost like meeting a person who by instinct you know you do not and will not ever like. So I didn't give it a chance, sold it at a loss and went back to the trusty 250 for a couple of years.
    Eventually got a Fisher F75SE, AT Pro so I could go in the water, and Ace 400 which is an upgraded 250, and recently a Whites MX Sport. 250 is still my go to detector, mainly for the reason that always keep it in my truck and is available whenever I get the whim driving around to detect. If I find an area that has potential, then maybe I'll come back with a better machine. But I would not leave a $2K detector sitting in my truck all summer long, that is for sure.
    And if I didn't always have a detector with my while driving around, I would have missed out on alot of hot spots I have found with it. My advice to any noob is and always will be, start off with a mid range detector [Ace 400 is not low end] Keep your expectations low, know going in that it takes patience and luck, sometimes skill and research, to find old silver coins and gold rings, and most of what you will find is complete trash. Practice as much as you can, dig everything so you get a good grasp as to whats what vs what the machine is trying to tell you, and invest in a pinpointer.
    If you find yourself hooked after a period of time, find yourself thinking at night in bed where people in your area hung out in 1901, find some goodies, really get into it and want more, then get a more capable machine and keep the midrange as a backup - Or better yet, keep it in your vehicle so you can always detect wherever you may be.

can
    us
    Dec 2015
    NC
    457 times
    Yep all you gotta do is go out and swing and fill up your pockets with gold, silver and jewels. In every field and on every beach.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links