Carrying a firearm while detecting

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being an avid and pro 2nd A. Believer, there are many places I want to explore, however, I feel a bit safer with a side arm if you will. Researching many a clues, I am looking at remote wilderness areas out and away from the general public.
Licensed to "Own" a firearm is much different than the elusive, next to impossible to obtain CCW in California, to which I do not have.
Just curious on everyone's thoughts as to carrying a firearm while detecting, and, it seems as though while wearing earphones it is a little behind the eight ball so to speak (as I would be challenged to hear anything but the sounds of the detector), but, that said, I would "feel" more secure.
So, do you carry while detecting in remote areas?

Upvote 0

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Texas has LTC (License to Carry) open or concealed carry - an old saying I would rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6 - I carry on my ankel when I am out dirt fishin and most areas are quite here with the exception of certain low income. I say let your conscience be your guide because you know the consequence if you get caught by the man if you do not have the right permit.

Texas ED
WORDS OF WISDOM!!!!!

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to carry in CA, even in the middle of nowhere, make sure it's in plain site. We we're working a mining claim in the desert near Red Mtn. A whole club of us, maybe 30 or so old guys with their wives. A few folks were riding their ATV's from the camping area to where we had our drywashers set up. BLM ranger shows up and decides he wants to check the ATV operators (60 year olds) for their licenses and ORV Green stickers (registrations). One of our members unzips his fanny pack to get his ID and the Ranger see a pistol in the fanny pack. Ranger jumps back and pulls his gun on the guy for having a concealed weapon. Then the Ranger calls the Highway Patrol for backup. Highway Patrol show up and get the Ranger to put his gun away but the Ranger still sites the guy. Member had to go to court and pay a fine. He was able to get his pistol back.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're going to carry in CA, even in the middle of nowhere, make sure it's in plain site. We we're working a mining claim in the desert near Red Mtn. A whole club of us, maybe 30 or so old guys with their wives. A few folks were riding their ATV's from the camping area to where we had our drywashers set up. BLM ranger shows up and decides he wants to check the ATV operators (60 year olds) for their licenses and ORV Green stickers (registrations). One of our members unzips his fanny pack to get his ID and the Ranger see a pistol in the fanny pack. Ranger jumps back and pulls his gun on the guy for having a concealed weapon. Then the Ranger calls the Highway Patrol for backup. Highway Patrol show up and get the Ranger to put his gun away but the Ranger still sites the guy. Member had to go to court and pay a fine. He was able to get his pistol back.

In California it is still against the law to carry in plain sight. Prior to 2012, it was actually lawful for someone without a CCW to carry an UNLOADED handgun in plain sight, but that law has now been changed. Carrying a concealed loaded or unloaded firearm is a misdemeanor crime and punishable by a fine and technically up to a year in jail, but the jail time rarely happens. Keep in mind that prior convictions of domestic violence, some assaults and a variety of other crimes can make the possession of a handgun in any capacity a felony with prison time.

Last edited:

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This scares the hell out of me.......I am really worried this may be coming to the east coast in the very near future ......like 2017

In California it is still against the law to carry in plain sight. Prior to 2012, it was actually lawful for someone without a CCW to carry an UNLOADED handgun in plain sight, but that law has now been changed. Carrying a concealed loaded or unloaded firearm is a misdemeanor crime and punishable by a fine and technically up yo a year in jail, but the jail time rarely happens. Keep in mind that prior convictions of domestic violence, some assaults and a variety of other crimes can make the possession of a handgun in any capacity a felony with prison time.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always have a gun and a knife on me at all times. Some times I carry 2 guns and a knife, depends on where I'm going and how dangerous the area is.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being an avid and pro 2nd A. Believer, there are many places I want to explore, however, I feel a bit safer with a side arm if you will. Researching many a clues, I am looking at remote wilderness areas out and away from the general public.
Licensed to "Own" a firearm is much different than the elusive, next to impossible to obtain CCW in California, to which I do not have.
Just curious on everyone's thoughts as to carrying a firearm while detecting, and, it seems as though while wearing earphones it is a little behind the eight ball so to speak (as I would be challenged to hear anything but the sounds of the detector), but, that said, I would "feel" more secure.
So, do you carry while detecting in remote areas?

WOW! A whole lotta testosterone let loose in this thread! :laughing7:

DiggerGal, you should always be armed in "the back country." If the top of the food chain in the area you are hunting is human, a small "pocket rocket" pistol like a .22 long ( CCI Stingers. They are 32 grain copper-plated hollow points), will do just fine. However, when you throw in javelina, mountain lions, and bears, you need at least a .357 at a bare minimum.

For me in Arizona it's javelina and lions up in the Bradshaw and Weaver mountains, so I carry a .44 Ruger or .357 Colt. Damn things get heavy after a few hours of humping mountain trails and digging for gold.

In New York, we are not allowed to open carry, and concealed carry you can pretty much forget about. Because of that, I made up a holster for a can of Wasp Spray, that will shoot out about 20-feet, and is a REAL deterrent to wild animals and humans if you can get them in the face and eyes. I make my wife keep one in her Chevy in case she needs it!

Carry! In California mountains you are pretty low on the food chain! :thumbsup:

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
I have used a handgun in defense against rattlesnakes on various occasions (anyone who says they don't get aggressive & attack is a moron) & once against a pair of mountain lions. I always carry when we have to go to towns or cities. Around here most men, women & a lot of kids above the age of 10 carry almost everywhere & know when & how to shoot. Crime is almost non-existent... any doubt there's a connection?

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This just causes me to shake my head at living in California. We are in fact the only state that is challenged by our right to protect ourselves within our Constitutional right! Ranger was probably a green horn wanting to make a name off of the innocence of a 60 yr old guy, minding his own mining business....OY!

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This scares the hell out of me.......I am really worried this may be coming to the east coast in the very near future ......like 2017

It should scare the hell out of you! We used to be able to carry an "Unloaded" weapon in plain sight...🤔, I guess a baseball bat would be a better choice. Now, we are handcuffed by the police department chiefs as to "If" they see merit in granting "you" a CCW. It is not up to the state here, it is the all mighty power of a police chiefs beliefs as to your "credibility" and "claim" as to "why" you deserve the right to protect yourself. Constitution means nothing here. NRA is challenging this, but, it will take a long time.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It should scare the hell out of you! We used to be able to carry an "Unloaded" weapon in plain sight...[emoji848], I guess a baseball bat would be a better choice. Now, we are handcuffed by the police department chiefs as to "If" they see merit in granting "you" a CCW. It is not up to the state here, it is the all mighty power of a police chiefs beliefs as to your "credibility" and "claim" as to "why" you deserve the right to protect yourself. Constitution means nothing here. NRA is challenging this, but, it will take a long time.

Sounds like you're from another planet from where I'm from. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are pulling your gun it should be that you perceive your life to be in danger as in my example above...and the perpetrator should be shot on the spot. You don't pull your gun just for the hell of it and wait to see what he does.

That was my whole point. If you are going to carry a firearm, you need to be mentally prepared to use it. Not just carry a gun as a visual intimidation device.

Last edited:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paranoia may destroy ya.

Until something happens. Why wear a seatbelt while your at it? You must be able to see into the future. Sure chances are nothing will ever happen, but I choose to not leave things in the hands of chance or other people when it comes to my family. That day in New Orleans could have turned into something much worse had I not been carrying.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my whole point. If you are going to carry a firearm, you need to be mentally prepared to use it. Not just carry a gun as a visual intimidation device.

We are on the same sheet of music then

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I agree, but it's still better then having nothing and just being a victim. And believe me there's a lot of innocent victims too that are being raped, robbed and then shot after just because and the black on black crime is out of control.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(Quote deleted for rule violation)

It's dangerous in New Orleans, that's where I was born and raised, but I moved to the NorthShore 5 years ago. It's very safe out here. I only bring my XDs .45 when I go on the Southshore. I just feel better :-)

Last edited by a moderator:

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(Quote deleted for rule violation)

Speaking of reciprocity, there are about 22 states who recognize a California issued CCW as being valid in their state. How many states does California have reciprocity with for CCWs issued elsewhere? ZERO. If you have a CCW issued in another state, you can't (legally) carry here. I just don't understand the mentality of the extreme liberal lawmakers here on the west coast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several posts deleted....Please remember TNet rules on language, using characters as letters to bypass language censor still violates our rules......

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In my life time of travels i have been beat up, cut up, and shot up. and still carrying lead in my body. and was never a criminal . i have always been able to defend myself but we all get older.and the way times are getting, believe me im going to be packing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread