Carrying a firearm while detecting

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being an avid and pro 2nd A. Believer, there are many places I want to explore, however, I feel a bit safer with a side arm if you will. Researching many a clues, I am looking at remote wilderness areas out and away from the general public.
Licensed to "Own" a firearm is much different than the elusive, next to impossible to obtain CCW in California, to which I do not have.
Just curious on everyone's thoughts as to carrying a firearm while detecting, and, it seems as though while wearing earphones it is a little behind the eight ball so to speak (as I would be challenged to hear anything but the sounds of the detector), but, that said, I would "feel" more secure.
So, do you carry while detecting in remote areas?

Upvote 0

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the oldest neighborhoods in the New Orleans area,for example Treme, are very rich with history which is a historic neighborhood...except the murder rate is awful. although I don't live in the New Orleans I was born in New Orleans and had to move 60 miles out due to the prom. But I do metal to take there. In the safe forever he is like city park our oldest city park I'm fine but when I go into a uncivilized neighborhood I always carry my XTS .45.

True story I was in a parking lot on savory neighborhood and some thugs walked up to me and asked me, "What are you doing here?"

I said,"I worked for the state and were putting in a free public pool"

All was good that time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a CCW but NC ALLOWS FOR OPEN CARRY.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems to me that if they get the drop on you that they can take your weapon from you. I'm not against cc, but I am against giving any perp an advantage. Maybe keep some mace or pepper spray on you for when they try taking your detector as their hands would be full at that time.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Licensed to "Own" a firearm is much different than the elusive, next to impossible to obtain CCW in California, to which I do not have.

It all depends on what city and county you live in. The sheriff here in Fresno county is extremely liberal in issuing CCW permits and in fact encourages the county residents to apply for one. For Fresno city residents, Fresno PD issues so many that the background investigators are many months behind simply due to the sheer number of applications.

I can't speak for other areas of the state, but here the majority of applicants are granted a CCW permit barring any disqualifying factors in their background. (Prior arrests, omitting or falsifying information on the application, etc) In fact, the "good cause" needed for the request for a CCW can be as slight as you work at night and have to walk to your car in the dark. I would suggest that if you haven't done so already, apply in your city or county for a permit. You may be surprised.

That being said, whether or not you have a CCW permit, if you are carrying a gun while detecting in remote areas for protection against animals, then go for it. But keep in mind a .40 caliber round won't stop a bear. However, if you are carrying it as protection against people, then you had better be mentally prepared and have the ability to take someone's life. You had also darn well better know the laws intimately enough to know when you have the legal right to do so.

Folks these days are not intimidated by guns like it seems they were decades ago. And if you are encountering people in remote areas, odds are they have a gun too. So if you pull one out it could cause that other person to shoot you. The bottom line is, you have to ask yourself "why" you want to carry a gun. For many it provides a feeling of comfort to know that you have that protection on your hip. You just need to have the prior mental planning to be able safely handle a situation that presents itself, and not cause a deadly force situation by pulling a gun out simply as a means of intimidation.

I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression. I AM NOT against carrying firearms. In fact, I can lawfully carry a concealed gun and have one with me 100% of the time I detect, regardless of location. I just know people who have CCW permits and carry, but don't have the mental preparation to actually use it if a situation presents itself. Hopefully if you do choose to carry a firearm, you will.

Just my opinion...

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Texas has LTC (License to Carry) open or concealed carry - an old saying I would rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6 - I carry on my ankel when I am out dirt fishin and most areas are quite here with the exception of certain low income. I say let your conscience be your guide because you know the consequence if you get caught by the man if you do not have the right permit.

Texas ED

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any person not disqualified can carry a concealed weapon without a licence in Idaho. I've had my licence for a number of years, however, and you can bet your butt I carry while detecting wherever it's legal to do so. That means no for any sort of federal property or schools, but everywhere else my little .38special snub is on my belt.

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on what city and county you live in. The sheriff here in Fresno county is extremely liberal in issuing CCW permits and in fact encourages the county residents to apply for one. For Fresno city residents, Fresno PD issues so many that the background investigators are many months behind simply due to the sheer number of applications.

I can't speak for other areas of the state, but here the majority of applicants are granted a CCW permit barring any disqualifying factors in their background. (Prior arrests, omitting or falsifying information on the application, etc) In fact, the "good cause" needed for the request for a CCW can be as slight as you work at night and have to walk to your car in the dark. I would suggest that if you haven't done so already, apply in your city or county for a permit. You may be surprised.

That being said, whether or not you have a CCW permit, if you are carrying a gun while detecting in remote areas for protection against animals, then go for it. But keep in mind a .40 caliber round won't stop a bear. However, if you are carrying it as protection against people, then you had better be mentally prepared and have the ability to take someone's life. You had also darn well better know the laws intimately enough to know when you have the legal right to do so.

Folks these days are not intimidated by guns like it seems they were decades ago. And if you are encountering people in remote areas, odds are they have a gun too. So if you pull one out it could cause that other person to shoot you. The bottom line is, you have to ask yourself "why" you want to carry a gun. For many it provides a feeling of comfort to know that you have that protection on your hip. You just need to have the prior mental planning to be able safely handle a situation that presents itself, and not cause a deadly force situation by pulling a gun out simply as a means of intimidation.

I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression. I AM NOT against carrying firearms. In fact, I can lawfully carry a concealed gun and have one with me 100% of the time I detect, regardless of location. I just know people who have CCW permits and carry, but don't have the mental preparation to actually use it if a situation presents itself. Hopefully if you do choose to carry a firearm, you will.

Just my opinion...

Very well said. Thank you!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone allowed to posess firearms can open carry in my state outside the city. Any non-fellon shall be issued a CC permit after qualifying a state mandated class/training that is super easy. CC permit also allows open carry in the city, or vehicle.

Few people will even say hello to you with a .357 hanging off your belt. Those that do most likely are carrying also.

When out and about, I might be packing, or I might not. Be respectful and nobody has to find out.8-)

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It depends where I am detecting. Woods or unsafe area - definitely. Beach - no need.

If you have headphones on I think open carry is a really bad idea. There are too many situations where someone could surprise you by taking your weapon. Concealed carry is really the only way I would ever recommend someone carry for many different reasons unless you are out hiking.

One thing I will recommend...if you do carry and have your ccw...please make sure you practice a lot.

As far as which gun to use...its all personal preference. I have a ruger lcp that is the size of my wallet that I carry most often because its so easy. I have a glock 26 which i would carry if i were heading into the bad parts of town. For home protection I have several other guns including an AR15 but my glock 26 and 357 revolver are my main home defense weapons.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a firearm (usually my Springfield XDs .45) every where I go 99.9% of the time, not just while detecting but also to the malls, stores, gas stations, theaters, grocery stores, parks, church and so on, if I leave my house I am armed, sometimes more than one firearm....

Last edited:

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, same set up: Ruger LCP 99% of time and Glock 26 the other with .357 by my bed & my wife has a 38 special beside of her. A family that shoots together stays together.:-)

It depends where I am detecting. Woods or unsafe area - definitely. Beach - no need.

If you have headphones on I think open carry is a really bad idea. There are too many situations where someone could surprise you by taking your weapon. Concealed carry is really the only way I would ever recommend someone carry for many different reasons unless you are out hiking.

One thing I will recommend...if you do carry and have your ccw...please make sure you practice a lot.

As far as which gun to use...its all personal preference. I have a ruger lcp that is the size of my wallet that I carry most often because its so easy. I have a glock 26 which i would carry if i were heading into the bad parts of town. For home protection I have several other guns including an AR15 but my glock 26 and 357 revolver are my main home defense weapons.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
To maintain situational awareness while detecting can be difficult for most. Myself included.
Having one earpiece clear of an ear can help , but takes practice too.
Still ,easy to not pay attention beyond the detector.
Usually a mini revolver rides concealed most anywhere I go .
Were I going beyond black bear habitat , something more than the .357 carried here for such would be required....or I would not go.
Slim odds of meeting the wrong grizz ,but no interest in finding out how many it takes to meet the wrong one.
Bulky carry in the bigger arms ,and I'd still want human company along if very far outback.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next to where I lay my head at night.
e17191de29ccc696b0a01d39e3bd21ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Taurus Judge and Springfield XD .45 hidden by my bed side, both loaded..... I keep a firearm hidden all over my home, never more than couple seconds from one.....

DURASPANK

Greenie
Aug 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always have my pf9 with me no matter where I go. When I'm not worried about total concellment. I'll also have my 45, 44 or 460 when possible.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This "be judged by 12 than be carried by 6" is a bad mental attitude. Judged by 12 when you are in the wrong could want you thinking that you wish you were dead. Do harm to another person with a gun could leave you completely broke for the rest of your life. You better make sure that if you use Deadly Force that you knew your life was in danger.
Texas has LTC (License to Carry) open or concealed carry - an old saying I would rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6 - I carry on my ankel when I am out dirt fishin and most areas are quite here with the exception of certain low income. I say let your conscience be your guide because you know the consequence if you get caught by the man if you do not have the right permit.

Texas ED

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to be off topic, but when in the more remote areas bring a dog along for increased situational awareness. Nobody will get the jump on you.

I like Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Great with kids. Low energy inside. Fearlessly protective.

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to be off topic, but when in the more remote areas bring a dog along for increased situational awareness. Nobody will get the jump on you.

I like Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Great with kids. Low energy inside. Fearlessly protective.

I love bringing my dog with me too! As for situational awareness, you make a very valid and considerable point. I need to take that into consideration for the time being, however with mountain lions I would be concerned about her safety as well as my own.
Great points! Thanks!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I love bringing my dog with me too! As for situational awareness, you make a very valid and considerable point. I need to take that into consideration for the time being, however with mountain lions I would be concerned about her safety as well as my own.
Great points! Thanks!

Psssshhht, mountain lions. They're around here too. You need a Ridgeback! They were bred to hunt lions in the African bush , and as man hunting dogs of war. They chase them down and corner it until someone rides up to shoot it. But packs of them have been known to get carried away and kill lions. Completly fearless in the face of danger. Completely loyal family dogs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions