The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging in the grass without leaving a trace, or much of one, takes some practice. Even then, depending on the grass type, density, soil type, moisture content, etc., making a nice plug can be difficult and sometimes impossible. Sometimes putting the dirt back nicely is all you can do. Always use the best method and tool available, especially in manicured lawns.

No single digging implement can cover all the bases. With that said, we all have fields filled with pull-tabs with gold potentially lurking therein. It would be nice if there was something that could make a decent plug (depending on conditions) and excavate most of the hole with one action. Then you would just have to kneel down, possibly with pinpointer, and find/extricate the target.

I've thought about a shovel like this for some time. The field I'm hitting (again) has the old ring pulls - about 1/3 with beaver tails that I can usually spot. But, the ring pulls themselves have to be dug because they are right in the gold ring range. They are about 4.5" down so I use depth to discriminate as well.

I want to dig a lot of them in a shorter period of time without as much effort - something we all would like, no doubt.

I have no idea if this would work in the field - it might even exist now - I don't know. Basic principle is shovel with built-in U-Plug Cutter. Have thought of various design enhancements, etc., but this is the basic idea. I thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has seen something like this or has additional ideas.

beep-shovel-side.png beep-shovel-front.png beep-shovel-top.png

HH!
Beep

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wouldn't repurposing something already commercially available be a solution to this? Something like a hole cutter for a golf course use would be perfect to dig a nice round plug at a decent depth and not leave any major traces. From the looks of them, they might even cut through some roots and are a stand up use design.

Just a thought, but I am new to detecting so some of the more experienced folks might have a better idea.

Hmmm...I'll have to take a look. Thanks soxfan!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
My brother welded me up a couple of shovels out of stainless. We just used some pipe.

These will outlast us all. Leshe in there for scale.

photo (1).JPG Digging tools.jpeg.jpg photo.JPG

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I think stainless is too soft of material to make a long lasting blade. I've been using this highly reviewed stainless hori-hor for five months waiting to do a 6mo review on amazon, and although it cuts very nicely it's already 3/8" to 1/2" shorter looking at the measurements along the concave side of the blade. It sure does wipe clean easily though.

The steel used in the Lesche and Predator line is far superior to stainless steel in my experience so far. That steel seems to be a good compromise between stainless and high-carbon, imo.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Our goal wasn't to make anything that would last any particular length of time, simply to make some shovels with what we had available.

We used schedule 80 pipe. If we have any issues with it, we can just grind it off and start again.

If you are building one (or three, it takes about as much time) for yourself, the service life isn't too critical, imo.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Golf hole cutters are similar to the Anderson that DiggerGal posted, but standup. They can get sophisticated and there are different types, but nothing that I would want to modify.

golf-cutter-1.jpg golf-cutter-2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread