Southern, west virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800
Garrett at pro
Garrett gti 1500
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found on a permission dig in a southern West Virginia. General supply store token. Reminds me of coal script I find once in a while. 2016-10-21 18.42.30.jpg 2016-10-21 18.43.20.jpg

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
electroman1974

electroman1974

Oct 31, 2012
Southern, west virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800
Garrett at pro
Garrett gti 1500
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats it the 1 center. thanks. I actually found it about 20 miles from there.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a very similar token. Mine is aluminum, and very badly toasted but somewhat readable. It says "GOOD FOR" across the top, and "IN TRADE" across the bottom. If there is a number on the face side, I can't read it, but there is a "5" on the back. The face also says W INBERGER (not sure if the W is a first initial or if a letter is missing in the gap. It is 1" in diameter.

IMG_20161022_180444.jpg

I'd imagine that there were companies that sold the basic tokens and would put your own name and values on them, and that is probably the case here.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe you have a Weinberger token:His name was Moses (Mose) Weinberger and today he is counted by some among “Oklahoma State Greats.”
His story is here:
Source:
http://pre-prowhiskeymen.blogspot.com/2014_02_01_archive.html
Weinberger proved to be a genial barkeeper, providing regular customers with bar tokens good for five cents in trade, similar to the one you found.
Don.....

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe you have a Weinberger token:His name was Moses (Mose) Weinberger and today he is counted by some among “Oklahoma State Greats.”
His story is here:
Source:
http://pre-prowhiskeymen.blogspot.com/2014_02_01_archive.html
Weinberger proved to be a genial barkeeper, providing regular customers with bar tokens good for five cents in trade, similar to the one you found.
Don.....

Thanks for the info! I found one of those tokens last summer but was unable to learn anything about it. The one I found is in very poor shape but it definitely reads "Weinberger Good for [unreadable] in Trade", and a large "5" on the reverse. It is hexagonal aluminum with a circular dotted ring around the outside. I love hearing the backstory behind these things!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info! I found one of those tokens last summer but was unable to learn anything about it. The one I found is in very poor shape but it definitely reads "Weinberger Good for [unreadable] in Trade", and a large "5" on the reverse. It is hexagonal aluminum with a circular dotted ring around the outside. I love hearing the backstory behind these things!
The backstory is the whole thing! Without a history, such things would be "useless trash". TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread